Tell me about this fallow buck

spandit

Saw this fellow on my trailcam. He was caught on another one browsing low holly branches. Planning on planting some holly so will need to be careful seeing as how tasty it is. Would be interested in thoughts from members on here (age/condition etc.)

biffo

I would say 2 haunches, venison Wellington, sausages, burgers, venison pudding from the hocks....or similar.

stalkerboydy

Saw this fellow on my trailcam. He was caught on another one browsing low holly branches. Planning on planting some holly so will need to be careful seeing as how tasty it is. Would be interested in thoughts from members on here (age/condition etc.)

Good condition 3+yr old Fishtail developing right hand antler ( nearest to camera ) I'd shoot it asap if it was among the Fallow i stalk but i don't know your numbers or condition of Fallow Bucks antler wise hope this is of some help

Home Loader

If left, is he likely to develop better antlers in years to come?
Yes most likely. He looks to be an average 3rd head could be a poor 4th or an exceptional 2nd it’s very difficult to say from just a short video from behind. With out knowing what the deer in your area develop like or what feed is available in the area?
Don’t worry about the holly it is quite tolerant of browsing.

Home Loader

In my opinion he’s an older buck that isn’t going to get any better .
The weight of the beams, and the distance between the antlers along with the angle they are grown at, all point to it being a younger animal. As per my last post the video doesn’t give us much information to go on, some of it’s just an educated guess.

struddy1952

As said by Home Loader depends on food available tooth wear will also vary depending again on the food available in different areas

Paul

stalkerboydy

If left, is he likely to develop better antlers in years to come?
No it won't develope into a symmetrical Palmated Buck. I'd put good money left Antler will be Palmated right will be Fishtailed unlike Roebuck who can have a poor head one year good the next with Fallow what they grow as that's what they grow each year until they start going back