Tennis elbow in right elbow. Any tips?

phillips321

Hi all,

I've got tennis elbow and it's really causing me some bother. I believe it's from lifting the rifle on to the sticks using my right hand on the pistol grip whilst the left are holding the sticks.

I've gone down the steroids route but that only sorted it for 6 months, they've now suggested an MRI followed by an op. Doc said 2 weeks no driving, 8 weeks after no shooting.

Has anyone had this and any suggestions? Did you have an op and did the Dr cut and remove the bad bit of tendon? How long was your recovery? Was it worth it or did you regret it and wish you'd stuck to 6 monthly steroid injections?

Thank in advance.

Im no help in giving an answer, but I’m in the same situation as yourself. Been about 3 months and no signs of improvement, some days worse than others.

It’s a pain to say the least isn’t it?

Find a good neuromuscular therapist. Takes a bit of time. Last resort is the knife.
edi

Ah you have my sympathy....
Had that in both elbows about four years ago, it never goes or gets better, I was left with two protruding boney nodules on my elbows, and boy if you knock them on anything its agony. Flare ups come and go, early on I used the NeoG forearm band - that really helped reduce pain.

Hi all,

I've got tennis elbow and it's really causing me some bother. I believe it's from lifting the rifle on to the sticks using my right hand on the pistol grip whilst the left are holding the sticks.

I've gone down the steroids route but that only sorted it for 6 months, they've now suggested an MRI followed by an op. Doc said 2 weeks no driving, 8 weeks after no shooting.

Has anyone had this and any suggestions? Did you have an op and did the Dr cut and remove the bad bit of tendon? How long was your recovery? Was it worth it or did you regret it and wish you'd stuck to 6 monthly steroid injections?

Thank in advance.
Long physio , had it and also frozen shoulder twice ! One shoulder needed the operating theater first

I had the nasty combination of golfers and tennis elbow at once (hurts top and bottom... caused by using strimmers and chainsaws )..... and 3 courses of steroid/cortisone injectections....
I suffered for a long time and didn't have an op.....
What I did do was strap the elbows and actually alot of self hard massage to work the tendons, and stretching. Over time it worked although occasionally after certain things I get a twinge on the tennis elbow side but I just do a bit more massage for a day or two to relieve it.

By hard massage I mean directly on the tendon area with as much pressure as you take pain wise..... and work it in different directions. Keep strapped up tight during the day too.

Good luck

Find a good neuromuscular therapist. Takes a bit of time. Last resort is the knife.
edi
Why last, having had tennis elbow both sides, injections and physio failed, surgery fixed both, elbow usable from next day, just take it easy, now I think 3 and 4 years on I'm fine.

Had tennis elbow that developed/worsened into golf elbow in both elbow joints, with advice from my GP we went down the steroid injection route, three in the right elbow (maximum at that time), two in the left no problems since, and that was many years ago.

Do hope you get sorted out soon, l know how painful it can be.

Make sure that it is just tennis elbow, not something more significant. My symptoms started in a similar way to tennis elbow and it seemed relatively insignificant to begin with, so I delayed starting treatment thinking it might just get better with rest, support and a bit of physio. Now both arms are pretty well fcuked. No strength, restricted movement and losing manual dexterity. If only it had been something simple like tennis elbow...

I get it from time to time and it has taken ages to resolve... until my personal cure came when I had a sports massage and mentioned it. She worked on all the forearm muscles (which were very tight and shortened, hence problems with tendons round the elbow) and pretty well fixed it overnight. In the absence of a professional massage, I would search youtube "tennis elbow forearm massage". If you have actual tendon/sheath damage then it might not be the big fix for you but it's worth a try.
All the best
PC

Last edited:
I get it too. I wear a bearhug elbow support at work which really helps especially in cold weather. Also a microwave pack you velcro to elbow at home.

It's actually a strain to your wrist which manifests in the elbow. I was shown a few different wrist exercises. I was very sceptical but they really worm in long run (touch wood mine hasn't caused issues in months now). I still have link to exercises physio sent me. PM if you want them.

Had it in my left elbow a few years back, can't remember what it was called or where I got it but the quack recommended a particular type of support which put pressure on a specific part of the arm & after a prolonged period wearing this & not lifting anything heavy it was sorted & hasn't been an issue since.

I have had this in both elbows caused by overuse and straining cutting a thick hedge with loppers.
What happens is the tendons detach from the bone a bit or a lot, and when the muscle of the said area is used in a certain way it hurts. You can buy velcro straps that go around the forearm and put pressure on the part of the arm and it supports the injured part, this does ease the pain and by stopping more use/damage it should help to heal it.

Now for the worst part, tendons take much longer than broken bones to heal, mine took over a year,

My GP, many years ago described tennis elbow (which i have had several times) as a grease nipple on the outer bone of your elbow getting knocked off and taking several months to grow back giving pain when grasping. This pain always comes when you don’t expect it and is a real nuisance. If knocked off, it can become inflamed and more easily knocked off again until it grows a back and the inflammation dies down. Knowing this has always helped me cope mentally with the pain therefore adjusting the impact and severity of it. A little mind over matter that may help…..

Tennis elbow is a colloquial name for Repetitive Strain Injury or tenosynovitis

There are 3 stages to tenosynovitis

The first - recovery occurs with a bit of rest

Second stage requires a change to the activity that is causing it and a longish rest of the affected parts

Third stage is irrecoverable and results in serious incapacitation

It is a common (ish) industrial disease

Hi all,

Thank in advance.
I use a neoprene support when afflicted. I wouldn't claim it cures it but it does help to stop reinjury. NHS I think says 6 weeks - 2 years for natural healing but ultimately whether its op or no op you have to find a way of resting the injury.

I have had the tendon surgery.
They scrape the tendons from the bone to give them a ragged edge to reattach themselves. I hope you have been told that there is only a 50/50 chance of success, this op is really last chance saloon.
I can only comment on my own experience as we're all different. Op is nothing much, local anesthetic 20 mins job done.
Recovery.......After the anesthetic wore off it hurt like billy oh! (yes I'm a girl but I'm not a real wuss).
10 days couldn't bend the elbow without excruciating pain, but just suck it up and carry on.
On a positive note it worked for me, after 6 months it was 95% perfect, it just strains a bit with heavy lifting or lengthy repetitive actions.
What I would say is it hurts as it is so you'll have nothing to lose by trying the surgery.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Back