Terror Attack in NZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paramedicmatt

It was Christchurch & my sister is an A&E consultant there & has just finished the worst shift of her life.
I can imagine the horror , confusion and chaos unfolding and sheer terror! Hope she’s alright !! Hell of a day to be working. Fingers crossed she has a good support : peer support network out there. It’s ok not to be ok !

dodgyknees

The NZ forum has been infiltrated by alt-right trolls and the admins have been struggling to contain a barrage of incendiary posts specifically designed to inflame emotions. Typical low post-count, anonymous forum members who no-one knows. The "manifesto" published by the main gunman specifically identified the intention to create division around firearms laws, rights, etc.

Unfortunately it would appear that the main perpetrator had actually been quite active on the NZ forum and had potentially traded with some well known members recently.

This information has now been handed to the police.

On this forum I was expecting the usual condolences and expressions of horror from the majority. I was also expecting the usual alt-right subtle expressions of empathy, bordering on tacit support, for these horrific actions. It has been a feature of past threads. I've been silly enough to tackle members on here from the UK and the US on their racism and bigotry in the past. For every of the insults I received - either openly or by pm - I received three times that in messages of support. I have no doubt whatsoever that the significant majority of SD members are decent people who comfortably outnumber the bigots, a reflection of the reality in our society as a whole.

The events in ChCh will embolden the bigots and you can expect to see an upswell in the kind of anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-brown people sentiment we see here from time-to-time. That it is linked to gun ownership by simple virtue of the community here, is precisely what the perpetrators are trying to achieve. I repeat, this is specifically discussed in the "manifesto". Getting into an online slanging match fuels the fire, that I have learned myself the hard way, so if you want to insult me, by all means send me a pm but know that I won't take you on publicly after this post.

It is essential in times like these that ordinary people remember that the vast majority of other people are also just ordinary people, no matter what or who they are. Now generally speaking the British and New Zealanders epitomise societies that are able to do just that, to see beyond the hate of a tiny minority of people and get on with life after these kinds of events, embracing those who in the minds of the bigots are "on the other side".

Unfortunately though, we are being affected day in, day out, by minority groups on extreme ends of the spectrum who are able to disproportionately influence our thinking, by spreading fear and intimidation. Or should that be "infected" day in, day out. The post-2000 tech explosion has handed these minorities on all sides the perfect weapon. The online dissemination of the shooter's video is a perfect example of the use of social media as an anti-social weapon.

Don't watch the video. I haven't, you shouldn't. Some of those that have at this end are already expressing serious regrets at having done so. It is a grave concern that so many very young people - school age kids in particular - watched the video when they were in lock down in the schools. Thousands and thousands of NZ views in the immediate aftermath of the shootings. I am extremely thankful that I happened to collect my kids from school yesterday instead of them taking the school bus, because I understand that one of the older boys played the video to a general audience of kids aged 6-16 on the bus on the way home. Can you imagine.

There are a lot of very upset folk who close to click the play button, who learnt the brutally hard way that social media can be used to hurt them like a punch to the gut, and they fell for it. Tragically, the video will be used again and again to recruit impressionable, cellar dwelling trolls to the white supremacist cause, its not like we don't have enough already. And equally violently, and even more worrying, is the effect it will have on young Muslim teenagers struggling to assimilate in Western society. Again, this is the intent of the action, to inflame and incentivise. Expect more of the same.

All I can say to the bigoted minority on here, is that whilst I don't disagree with you that we are walking arm-in-arm towards an increasingly violent future, I am quite keen to do anything I can to avoid it for the sake of my children. Pointing the finger at Islam as a means to make sense of this latest atrocity, or at West Indian immigration in the 60s to make sense of London knife crime, or at Bush and Blair for making the decisions that ultimately created thousands of displaced "fundamentalists", well its all just a wee bit trite isn't it?

The world today is what it is for a reason. History made it so. And our democratically elected leaders' actions are every bit as responsible for that as the dictators on the other side. Just ask today's retiring veterans how they feel about US/UK foreign policy. Our future is our history in the making, and god knows if we carry on with the polarisation of our societies the way we are now, we are guaranteeing ourselves and our kids a bleak and violent outlook.

Hereford

The NZ forum has been infiltrated by alt-right trolls and the admins have been struggling to contain a barrage of incendiary posts specifically designed to inflame emotions. Typical low post-count, anonymous forum members who no-one knows. The "manifesto" published by the main gunman specifically identified the intention to create division around firearms laws, rights, etc.

Unfortunately it would appear that the main perpetrator had actually been quite active on the NZ forum and had potentially traded with some well known members recently.

On this forum I was expecting the usual condolences and expressions of horror from the majority. I was also expecting the usual alt-right subtle expressions of empathy, bordering on tacit support, for these horrific actions. It has been a feature of past threads. I've been silly enough to tackle members on here from the UK and the US on their racism and bigotry in the past. For every of the insults I received - either openly or by pm - I received three times that in messages of support. I have no doubt whatsoever that the significant majority of SD members are decent people who comfortably outnumber the bigots, a reflection of the reality in our society as a whole.

The events in ChCh will embolden the bigots and you can expect to see an upswell in the kind of anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-brown people sentiment we see here from time-to-time. That it is linked to gun ownership by simple virtue of the community here, is precisely what the perpetrators are trying to achieve. I repeat, this is specifically discussed in the "manifesto". Getting into an online slanging match fuels the fire, that I have learned myself the hard way, so if you want to insult me, by all means send me a pm but know that I won't take you on publicly after this post.

It is essential in times like these that ordinary people remember that the vast majority of other people are also just ordinary people, no matter what or who they are. Now generally speaking the British and New Zealanders epitomise societies that are able to do just that, to see beyond the hate of a tiny minority of people and get on with life after these kinds of events, embracing those who in the minds of the bigots are "on the other side".

Unfortunately though, we are being affected day in, day out, by minority groups on extreme ends of the spectrum who are able to disproportionately influence our thinking, by spreading fear and intimidation. Or should that be "infected" day in, day out. The post-2000 tech explosion has handed these minorities on all sides the perfect weapon. The online dissemination of the shooter's video is a perfect example of the use of social media as an anti-social weapon.

Don't watch the video. I haven't, you shouldn't. Some of those that have at this end are already expressing serious regrets at having done so. It is a grave concern that so many very young people - school age kids in particular - watched the video when they were in lock down in the schools. Thousands and thousands of NZ views in the immediate aftermath of the shootings. I am extremely thankful that I happened to collect my kids from school yesterday instead of them taking the school bus, because I understand that one of the older boys played the video to a general audience of kids aged 6-16 on the bus on the way home. Can you imagine.

There are a lot of very upset folk who close to click the play button, who learnt the brutally hard way that social media can be used to hurt them like a punch to the gut, and they fell for it. Tragically, the video will be used again and again to recruit impressionable, cellar dwelling trolls to the white supremacist cause, its not like we don't have enough already. And equally violently, and even more worrying, is the effect it will have on young Muslim teenagers struggling to assimilate in Western society. Again, this is the intent of the action, to inflame and incentivise. Expect more of the same.

All I can say to the bigoted minority on here, is that whilst I don't disagree with you that we are walking arm-in-arm towards an increasingly violent future, I am quite keen to do anything I can to avoid it for the sake of my children. Pointing the finger at Islam as a means to make sense of this latest atrocity, or at West Indian immigration in the 60s to make sense of London knife crime, or at Bush and Blair for making the decisions that ultimately created thousands of displaced "fundamentalists", well its all just a wee bit trite isn't it?

The world today is what it is for a reason. History made it so. And our democratically elected leaders' actions are every bit as responsible for that as the dictators on the other side. Just ask today's retiring veterans how they feel about US/UK foreign policy. Our future is our history in the making, and god knows if we carry on with the polarisation of our societies the way we are now, we are guaranteeing ourselves and our kids a bleak and violent outlook.
:tiphat:

Klenchblaize

I've yet to indicate a "like" for a SD post as I find the concept somewhat crass if I'm honest but I'll make an exception on this occasion and say no more.

K

Pedro

To bring things back to normal people's conversations, I'd like to add my sincere condolences to everyone who has lost someone in this tragedy. I'd also like to send my support to all those involved in dealing with this too. That includes police, ambulance personnel, doctors, nurses and everyone else whose normal everyday lives have been thrown into an awful turmoil by helping with this.

As for the perpetrator, I'm glad that it appears he has been caught and I give NO credence to anyone who tries to mitigate these actions by saying it was towards Muslims. Or for any other reason. It was simply towards innocent people, including children. Whatever and whoever this perpetrator is, he is a vile human being and deserves no consideration whatsoever. Neither does anyone who seeks to justify or mitigate him.

kes

Its obvious but extreme violence is extremely dangerous to all of us, no exceptions, no excuses.
There is simply no place on earth for people like this and the sooner we ALL realise that the better. Only in this way can we retain the values we all support and the freedoms that extirpation of extremists will bring.

Milligan

The whole thing is crook as but I imagine that it couldnt be worse than those shocking videos shared around the world of the unfortunate innocents that donned the orange overalls to have their heads sawn off with **** poor knives.
In the kingdom of an eye for an eye, the blind man is king?

Cootmeurer

I doubt it very much (i'd be interested to see the sources). Maybe a brave unarmed citizen, but highly unlikely that Kiwis would carry firearms for anything other than hunting or pest control. Its just not that sort of place, which makes this tragedy even more cowardly & heinous.
I saw two articles from the NZ Herald. First said young male mosque member came out chasing the bad guy and fired two shots. Second article said young male member tackled and disarmed bad guy. Me possibly connecting dots, perhaps same young male tackled, disarmed, and used bad guys gun to return fire.

I expect more clarity in days to come, but I also don't have high hopes for media getting story correct. The old adage "if it bleeds it leads" is still likely to be in play. If the media can stir this horrible human tragedy up to sell more paper, I am sure they will.

Southern

It seems too early to comment, especially since the most verbose of the killers has said a lot of contradictory things, probably because he doesn't know the meanings of a lot of the political terms he uses.

He says he is a communist, admires Red China, used a scary-looking rifle to excite the media and "the left" to make them attack the Second Amendment, create division in America, blah, blah, blah.

He is manipulating the media, and all those who listen to the media whose stock agendas his is feeding.

foxdropper

I think your post sums up something I was going to observe in responce to comment in another thread: The Owners of The Stalking Directory do NOT have to allow such threads!

K
But they do because we live in a democracy not the police state some would have it .Freedom of speech is about the only free thing we have left and that’s under attack by the leftist antifa
By expressing views dosnt mean I’m a physcopath or a threat to anyone ,just means I’m human and have a brain that thinks for itself and isn’t very easily lead by media or to please the majority .
I’m 100% sure there are those on here with different views to what they post ,all in the name of appeasement .

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Ok far enough. Some of these comments are not required on this site. It matters not, the religion or colour of a person these were all innocent people going about there everyday business. This far right uprising is worrying and is something I have said would be an issue.
Women, children and men lost their lives and respect for all those who have died will and should be shown by all of us. This is not a time for picking any side, there are none.

Status
Not open for further replies.