thamees valley police

banus

thank you ,i have tried to explain to my feo and just meet a brickwall,he says no and thats it ,i will call basc on tuesday as i dont think the firearms department are being very proffessional and deliberatly keep fobbing me off.

Eric the Red

I've had cause to encourage a TVP FEO to come to a different conclusion on a similar matter recently - in which I was successful. Feel free to PM me and I can let you know what worked for my buddy in his instance - I wonder if it's the same FEO......

tusker

A friend of mine in Thames Valley has had to wait over 12 months for a F.A.C. grant it was like pulling teeth, after many calls to them he was told there was no problem with his application but still no cert. A call to BASC and hay presto cert arrived within 10 days.
I don't think Thames valley fire arms is fit for purpose. They could learn lots from Sussex or better still Wilts. I have just put in for 308. (I have a 270 and 30-06) after a quick chat with Firearms chap and variation was done and dusted in 5 days. That's service.
Tusker

Robbo46

Yesterday I got my variation back from TVP, it had been away a little over two weeks (no chasing / hastening on my part), I certainly appreciated the turn around time.
Hopefully whatever frustrations people have experienced with TVP are becoming a thing of the past
Robbo

Oracle

Sounds like the FEO was initially happy to recommend the variation and maybe then "pressured" to reverse his findings. It can be an advantage to take written notes of any discussion with the licensing staff, especially those conducted by telephone. Date, time, who you spoke with and a brief resume of the conversation should suffice. You may also wish to ask for the FEOs advice not to contact your shooting organisation and/or any decisions, concerning your application, taken within the department to be confirmed in writing.

kennyc

Yesterday I got my variation back from TVP, it had been away a little over two weeks (no chasing / hastening on my part), I certainly appreciated the turn around time.
Hopefully whatever frustrations people have experienced with TVP are becoming a thing of the past
Robbo
+1 variation done in less than 3 weeks including posting times, a vast improvement and hopefully a sign of better times

Lateral

I know it's been said many times before, but most refusals are because the letter requesting the variation/ firearm aren't worded in such a way as to make it extremely difficult for it to be refused.

Write down your "good reason", then think about all the reasons your FEO may want to refuse the request, and make sure you address them in the letter requesting the variation. Coming up with good reasons AFTER the variation has been refused, makes life very difficult, because FEO's don't like to change their minds.

nun_hunter

I've not had any problems with Sussex but I always do variations or additions via email so there is a trail in writing in case anything was changed or a decision was attempted to be reversed I have the original comments in writing. Luckily never had to argue anything as Sussex are very good and as Lateral says, I make sure I cover all bases before I send it so it's much harder for them to find something to argue against.

Whitebeard

I have said this before and i will say it again, FEOs do not have any authority to say "No you cant have that" and they need to be reminded of that by you the applicant, the Firearms Licensing manager has the final say and if you are having any problems they should be your first port of call.

Ian.

Hanechdene

I have been had my certificate in for 5 times in the last 18 months with TVP. On the whole they have been extremely helpful and my certificate has been back within a month.

The 308 and 6.5x55 are pretty close but rather saying you wanted the 308 for woodland stalking and went the other way and said you wanted it for hill stalking for red or Sika stags as being a 30 calibre there are heavier bullets available than the 6.5 so it would be better suited for this application.

this is the tack I used for my .375 which is for use here and abroad and then latterly for .300 win mag.

Spiker

Banus.

Quite simply amazed
. I put in for a variation on Thursday. Alan Bonner FEO called following Wednesday to apologise for delay as he was on his own. FAC arrived Friday.

Spiker.

banus

UPDATE ON FAC VARIATION,ARRIVED TODAY ALL GOOD, i phoned basc on tuesday morning and explained what was happening at tvp firearms and was in formed to ask them to put in writing why i was not allowed the 308 ,i was speaking to a chap called chris at the firearms dept on wednesday to be told he had my paper work in front of him and all was fine and it would be signed of and posted and i would recieve it next week,thankfully it arrived today.so did basc have a word? i think so.or have thames valley got a grip,dont know.all fine for now BUT my renewal is due sept 2018 so will have about 12months before i have to go through the system again.thank you all for comments and advice and a big thank you to basc.

Sighthound

Congrats on the result and interesting, Banus, in that I must be just along the road from you (RG10) so potentially we share the same FEO. I am just about to apply for a variation (subject to advice from SD members in response to a post I'm about to put up) and I am anticipating similar problems based on past dealings....

banus

the feo i was dealing with has just left thames valley,this was confirmed to me this week.hope you get a decent feo and good luck