Thames Valley Firearms application time

tusker

my mate sent off for his application end of May. He hasn't heard anything so he called them today politly asking when he could expect visit etc. He was told he would be lucky to get anything before Christmas. Any one else experiencing such delays. My nephew put in for his about 2 months ago and has got his visit next week here in Sussex.
Tusker

mathieson

thames valley are one of the worst in the country for processing grants and renewals for example my shotgun renewal was due in june I put in for renewal beginning of january we are now at the end of september and I still havnt got my renewal only a temperary certificate a mate of mine waited 10 months for a grant of a fac I could go on as I know a lot off people in the same boat the reelected PCC says he is trying to improve the service but I think they are so far behind its going to take a long time before anyone sees any improvement

Last edited:

Tom_Ov

I should count myself lucky then - my coterminus renewal went to TVP in March, certs ran out first week of August and I got my new certs last week.

Pretty much bang on 6 months...

It's all a bit of a lottery really - don't really understand why there are such large differences between their 'fast' ones and their 'slow' ones. I think it really depends on who's desk your application lands on. My FAC grant was 6 'months start to finish. I was very lucky in having a visit in 2 months from applying. I also pestered them constantly. Good luck!!

In fairness to TVP they had a big water damage incident. I understand it damaged putes and paper. They are also not hiring FEO when they retire etc...so the workload is mounting.
That said.....they need to adress this and how they are doing that isnt clear and as far as I am aware...no statement to address and clarify...has been made.

In fairness to TVP they had a big water damage incident. I understand it damaged putes and paper. They are also not hiring FEO when they retire etc...so the workload is mounting.
That said.....they need to adress this and how they are doing that isnt clear and as far as I am aware...no statement to address and clarify...has been made.
the water damage was getting on for 18 months ago now wasn't it?! They keep using the same excuses. In most other lines of work if staff kept on using the same excuses the bosses would clobber them and ask why! What annoyed me most about the whole process was they could never give a reasonable estimate of a length of time before it would arrive on my doorstep. It was 4 months between visit and delivery (actually I picked it up so they couldn't blame the post)

the water damage was getting on for 18 months ago now wasn't it?! They keep using the same excuses. In most other lines of work if staff kept on using the same excuses the bosses would clobber them and ask why! What annoyed me most about the whole process was they could never give a reasonable estimate of a length of time before it would arrive on my doorstep. It was 4 months between visit and delivery (actually I picked it up so they couldn't blame the post)
As I said earlier.....they have made no statement as to what they are doing to catch up. They are not replacing retirees as far as I know and I dont believe that they are on a recruitment drive either....so the current staff have to cope or get swamped. It seems to be the latter but the staff are not responsible for manpower...that cones from higher up the chain so they get behind and we get peed off.....the wet incident certainly didnt help and its just snowballed. It does require someone to say ..Houston...we have a problem and then for someone to make some decisions how to deal with it.

As I said earlier.....they have made no statement as to what they are doing to catch up. They are not replacing retirees as far as I know and I dont believe that they are on a recruitment drive either....so the current staff have to cope or get swamped. It seems to be the latter but the staff are not responsible for manpower...that cones from higher up the chain so they get behind and we get peed off.....the wet incident certainly didnt help and its just snowballed. It does require someone to say ..Houston...we have a problem and then for someone to make some decisions how to deal with it.
I have to say I felt a bit sorry for the staff in the office I'd speak to on the phone, they seemed to be doing their best. As you say it's the organisation of the manpower/department that's the issue. I was told they had boxes of applications in a cupboard waiting to go through - sounds nice and orderly ;)

Rasputin

Got my Interview next week with Lancashire 6 months to the day it went in and only after hounding and haranguing the **** out of them. Will be lucky to get the rifle before End of Oct I reckon.

stubear

I think the best approach is to send the forms in and then when you get the letter back saying "X weeks turnaround" wait that time, then call them and politely ask where they are at.

They'll then give an update of another week or month or whatever, and then call them once that time has elapsed.

That way you're keeping the contact going but you're not hacking them off.

As others have said its not the fault of the people in the office, and I know from speaking to my FLO they get as frustrated as we do sometimes! So I always try to be as nice as possible to them when I speak to them.

With Hampshire they got to know me a bit while my grant was going through, and I ended up having a bit of a laugh on the phone with one of the girls there when I spoke to them in the end!

Ferryman

At the recent BASC evening at Sparsholt Tony Hill from Hampshire Firearms Licensing quoted 8 month from receipt to issue at present if my memory serves me correct

kennyc

It's all a bit of a lottery really - don't really understand why there are such large differences between their 'fast' ones and their 'slow' ones. I think it really depends on who's desk your application lands on. My FAC grant was 6 'months start to finish. I was very lucky in having a visit in 2 months from applying. I also pestered them constantly. Good luck!!
I suspect we have an answer :cool:

Nocrimp

The Home Secretary (now Prime Minister) was made aware of the dreadful delays in FAC Licensing at Thames Valley and she wrote to the Chief Constable of TVP. He replied promising to recruit two extra staff to help deal with the backlog, however, so far I can't see any improvement.

The Home Secretary (now Prime Minister) was made aware of the dreadful delays in FAC Licensing at Thames Valley and she wrote to the Chief Constable of TVP. He replied promising to recruit two extra staff to help deal with the backlog, however, so far I can't see any improvement.
Two things spring to mind:
1. Every time a new rifle/gun/mod is bought, it generates paperwork which needs to then be manually input at Kidlington. Why don't they send out an mandatory edict to all FAC & SGC holders that they will only accept stuff electronically, so that it can just be attached to each of our files?

2. 2 new bodies won't make a dent in that pile. They need a couple of dozen folks that can just blitz it. Call me old fashioned, but I'll bet that there are a potload of Partners of licence holders (Why? Because they'll already be known in the system) that would like some extra income before Christmas, even at minimum wage +10% for a month.