That’s not what I expected

ruger77

So new scope mounted to the r8 then off down to the range to zero in better pull my finger out we’re stalking on Monday ,so first four shots ok apart from my Blaser moderator cover melting ,then it happened the Blaser click the bolt lever felt like it was not going all the way forward no strike on the round just a click on trigger release .I removed the trigger and the bolt mechanism put it all back together worked perfectly any one else had this happen?

You have no camming action like a turn bolt.
If the cartridge is slightly to big or a foreign body get in the chamber you have no strength to close the action.
It's called out of battery.
Any fire arm that fires out of battery can be dangerous.
Straight pulls, lever actions, pump actions and autos can suffer the same.
Ammo must be full length sized or better! Including factory!!

Get into the practice of pushing forward and then slightly pulling back a little. On the pull back you should find it locked. Gets to be a memory thing.

Happened to me years ago when I was using neck sized 6.5x55. The brass shoulders weren't sized enough and thus the bolt wasn't fully closing. Went to full resizing and problem disappeared.

I always wonder with these if with the mag and trigger assy in your pocket for safe transport does it collect pocket lint and stop it 100% functioning?

I always wonder with these if with the mag and trigger assy in your pocket for safe transport does it collect pocket lint and stop it 100% functioning?

I normally use the plastic cover that comes with it, it's something else to have in your pocket but it saves on pocket fluff paranoia.

Just wondered. If two R8 shooters were together say on a range day and the trigger/mags were swapped by mistake and one was for .308 and the other shooter had a different calibre, would they still safely shoot?
My job was thinking of things that could go wrong in the automotive field and finding solutions to stop them happening (misuse).

Trigger and and mags are the same for say a 308 and 243 pop in the correct ammo and barrel to suit and away you go on a std bolt head which suits the 308 and 243 👍

I take a 308 and 243 barrels with me for stalking and deer size sometimes i then just have a swap around with the barrel and chuck a thermal on the 243 for foxing its works a treat
222 or 204 are different mags and bolt head( mini ) bit more work involved but they all work nicely, just leaving a mod selection if you use one
Storage wise a 2 barrel case which also holds 2 scopes and whatever you have on the made up rifle in the slip
Easy peasy and it all works with no faffing about

Back