The Beaters are revolting...

CDSG Shooting Sports

gixer1

Agreed with everything you say. Tame duck come crashing in, Wild duck are cagey, they loop round covering a very large area before coming in to ever decreasing circles, its lovely to hear those wings whistling round & round in the twilight under a moon.
I’ve spent many a night hearing whistles or flapping of wings then a splash….and seeing f-all in between! 😂😂😂

Farmer Geddon

I’ve spent many a night hearing whistles or flapping of wings then a splash….and seeing f-all in between! 😂😂😂
Nothing worse than Teal arriving late, they hardly make a sound even when they land, all you see are the expanding ripples in the moonlight. You have my sympathies!
Lamping might be the answer. 😂😂

mudman

The best reared duck shooting I have experienced was on a small shoot on the edge of the moors. The mallard were put down on a river in a narrow steep side valley, they would be flushed down and along a line of guns, two or three bunches flying fast over the tree tops and that was it, no circling or coming back into where they flushed from. One chance at them and they were gone, if the shoot was lucky they would settle on a part of the river inside the boundary and a return drive might be attempted, but often they were often out of bounds for the rest of the day

bogtrotter

The best reared duck shooting I have experienced was on a small shoot on the edge of the moors. The mallard were put down on a river in a narrow steep side valley, they would be flushed down and along a line of guns, two or three bunches flying fast over the tree tops and that was it, no circling or coming back into where they flushed from. One chance at them and they were gone, if the shoot was lucky they would settle on a part of the river inside the boundary and a return drive might be attempted, but often they were often out of bounds for the rest of the day

I have seen them driven in a similar situation and they were ok, I have never seen driving off a pond ibeing a great success they tend to just circle round and round..
If the terrain allows it you could try feeding them away from the pond 400/500 hundred yards away and driving them
back place the guns half way between where feeding and the pond , not at the pond.!

shortshot

I often wonder on these large driven duck days how many use non-toxic?

I personally never have done it however used to enjoy flighting/decoying wildfowl on the foreshore. I have turned down invites to a large duck shoot locally, however have heard horror stories, that it is, quite literally a feeding pond that the ducks sit on, a beater is sent in with an umbrella, scares the ducks of the pond, they do a few passes over the guns and look to come back to land and he flaps the umbrella again and they go back round even higher (out of range often) until the bag is reached for that drive, guns move pegs and the same happens again. Once the bag is reached the day is concluded unless overages are taken, the pickers up then walk the river and often pick up 30-50 of the ducks that were pricked during the day.
I don’t agree when people tell me ‘the ducks fly well’ as ducks in still conditions when unable to land naturally will fly very high! Probably out of range/ out of clean killing capabilities for most.
Complete con. Bag filler on shoots where they don't provide enough decent birds. I refuse to shoot them and try to get the team to do the same.

The worst I have experienced was picking up on Auchmacoy, the ducks were so low and the guns so bad I was pulling my spaniel down so he didn't get shot! Same day I was dragged behind a pick-up by the under keeper and a beater as its "not safe out there".
I used to shoot a fair few ducks, mostly flighting them in the evenings. Then one year I raised 50 birds for my local gun club, no more duck shooting for me ( not very much now anyway ).
Ducks are clever and they have individual little ducky personalities too.
They deserve better than the practices you describe, not for me thanks.

boltgun

any form of wild duck shooting is for me the best, reared duck no matter how good would not appeal to me, but let's be honest some commercial shoots use ducks as bag fillers for those who don't know better and cannot shoot sometimes called corporate days I believe. Have seen these for myself as have many others along with low pheasants been taken in numbers at £x per bird, as retired keeper it sickens me. However not illegal and provides employment and revenue. cannon fodder/ bag fillers little wonder driven shooting has no future!

hogsnest

Crikey each to their own but I think we'd get arrested in N.Z. for shooting any duck that isn't totally wild stock.We just shoot a small lake on public land every opening weekend,no pre-feeding, 100 odd Mallard, Paradise duck, Grey duck, Swan and Canadian geese decoys and we work really hard on the callers for most birds shot.For rest of season we shoot private little ponds and paddocks.

Attachments

• received_303659363960226.jpeg
    received_303659363960226.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 26

dunwater

any form of wild duck shooting is for me the best, reared duck no matter how good would not appeal to me, but let's be honest some commercial shoots use ducks as bag fillers for those who don't know better and cannot shoot sometimes called corporate days I believe. Have seen these for myself as have many others along with low pheasants been taken in numbers at £x per bird, as retired keeper it sickens me. However not illegal and provides employment and revenue. cannon fodder/ bag fillers little wonder driven shooting has no future!
The fact that its not illegal and generates cash flow is a pretty poor defence of practices indistinguishable from turning a group of gobshites with shotguns loose in the poultry yard.
Its not acceptable behaviour and it tarnishes us all by association.

R8 Ultimate Carbon - Discover Now! >>>