The Best Stalking Boots???

I've asked my followers to suggest the best (but affordable) boots on the market for Deer Stalkers?
So far I've had plenty of suggestions via Facebook and Twitter plus this blog:

But I'd like your views on the matter before I share them all with the world.

Tell me which?
How Much they cost (roughly)?
and why...??

Thanks Guys,

Ben @ Keepers Mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one choice at the moment for me Altberg gamekeeper stark extreme .
​norma

£200
warm
comfortable
​need minimal cleaning

A lot of people may think this is a stupid suggestion but I've had expensive boots before and the best I've had for comfort and value for money have been mil surplus matterhorns from eBay! Cracking boots comfy and very hard wearing with vibram soles and the best bit it's they generally cost about 40 quid in grade 1 condition! I've stalked all over and worn them for ferreting and all my walking and for the money I can't recommend them enough

Loads of squaddies swear by these , and they probably cover more miles than any stalker and also carry large packs , I walk a lot and have tried many boot types , in my opinion these are the best

Many threads about this.
+1 with Adam.
Have just replaced my Altberg Warriors (many years, many miles and environments) with the Warrior Aqua in Olive.

Also use my LeChasseur wellies and in summer Altama (US) Jungle boots; though I suspect the Altberg ones are better - my USA bought JB's simply haven't died yet.

If you are sat in a high seat, a lot, I suspect some sort of thermal/furry/3-4 season boot might be required; but not as good for stalking around IMHO.

Ive been wearing these for 4 months now and have, so far, been impressed with their comfort and waterproof qualities:

Boots

I picked mine up on sale for £25 at sports direct.
Not sure how they'll handle a winter but, god willing, will soon find out.

+1 Meindl
German made, hand stitched.
I always have two or three pairs on the go so they can dry out properly.
Cleaning, conditioning and proofing will ensure better performance and longer life

Interesting that in response to a question that's key word is "stalking" all posts recommend boots that represent the antithesis of a design appropriate to the task!

None of those mentioned permit the ground to be felt with anything approaching the sensitivity that is a prerequisite of woodland stalking. Instead we have what in truth are heavy-duty hill walking boots that are great for making safe and comfortable progress across Highland terrain that oft' includes treacherous clear fell, but little else.

K

Interesting that in response to a question that's key word is "stalking" all posts recommend boots that represent the antithesis of a design appropriate to the task!

None of those mentioned permit the ground to be felt with anything approaching the sensitivity that is a prerequisite of woodland stalking. Instead we have what in truth are heavy-duty hill walking boots that are great for making safe and comfortable progress across Highland terrain that oft' includes treacherous clear fell, but little else.

K
My choice is always going to be based on a boot that safely gets me anywhere comfortably and warm and dry if it wood ,hill or Heath .with two dodgy ankles I would not survive without a twisted ankle in inferior footwear that is soft and supple .my job involves me being on my feet allday so £200 is a small price to pay for a boot that keeps my ankles where they should and pointing in the right Direction.
cheers
​norma

Last edited:

K
91146810.jpg
The alternative? :D

boots are only as good as the person that made them..... the best names still have 'off' pairs
Too true how one pair of boots fit another stalker is completely different, yeh certain manufactures produce better quality boots than others.
i use to swear by brasher but in 2008/2009 they changed there design and it's caused countless problems for walkers etc.. Me at the moment use le chameu boots, they feels comfy and secure. I may look and sound a buffoon wn buying a new pair of boots but I like to walk around in a shop apporx more than ten minutes when trying on a new pair of boots, reason if they giveyou grief in the shop forget it, if not no feeling of rubbing your onto a winner

Catweasel would hug you!

Klench Camo Bear is down to his last pair of new "Cabelas Turkey Hunters" now discontinued:

Ashford-20130824-00814_zps25a9619f.jpg

Cheers

K

Back