The biggest deer of all,the moose.

Jagare

I was aware that North American moose were usually much larger than Scandinavian moose but to my eye the photograph just doesn't suggest that this is a particularly large animal. I'm sure that Jagare and some other site members have posted photographs previously that really indicate the true size of these animals and the tremendous efforts needed to move them to the larder when you've been fortunate enough t o shoot one.
I think Jagare at one time posted pictures of him using his iron horse timber drag to lift and move a moose that he had shot or was shot by one of the other members of his shooting club, and I've also seen photographs of larger timber forwarders to transport shot animals.
Moose always look bigger on the hoof than when they are dead. I think its due to them being all legs. Apart from showing the antlers, its not a great photo for showing the full size of the bull. In October our hunting team shot a large cow that three of us managed to get into a tractor loader bucket. We have used the timber wagon, Iron horse (Järnhäst) and quad with trailer to retrieve them. A couple of years ago it took six of us to drag a not so large calf over some rough ground to an extraction point. Made me sweat:old:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Made you sweat!

I was sweating when I struggled with a largish fallow buck on my own a few months ago. Was finally just struggling to hoist it up in the garage when the rope snapped and a few choice words spoken. Stupid me I had forgotten about the 1 tonne puller/hoist with a steel rope that was hanging on the wall not 3 feet away from where I was trying to tie off. :mad:

A Guy Out West

And I hear it’s the best meat too. I put in for the Idaho moose hunt for 5 years in a row, and then I actually saw one. Nope, not going to deal with that, I no longer put in for the Idaho moose hunt.

Jagare

And I hear it’s the best meat too. I put in for the Idaho moose hunt for 5 years in a row, and then I actually saw one. Nope, not going to deal with that, I no longer put in for the Idaho moose hunt.
I had moose meat for dinner yesterday and will have it today as well. Moose calf is great meat but some of those old bull and cows are only fit to put through the mincer. It takes us about 20-30 minutes to skin and gut a moose, but we are set up for it.

A Guy Out West

I had moose meat for dinner yesterday and will have it today as well. Moose calf is great meat but some of those old bull and cows are only fit to put through the mincer. It takes us about 20-30 minutes to skin and gut a moose, but we are set up for it.
20 to 30 minutes. That's Impressive. Wish I had your skill.

Jagare

20 to 30 minutes. That's Impressive. Wish I had your skill.
We skin and gut in a barn. We skin the legs whilst its on the ground and then lift it with an electric hoist, skinning as its lifted. Once skinned a tractor buckets is put under and it is gutted hanging, strait into the bucket. Easy when there is 3 or 4 of us.

alberta boy

We skin and gut in a barn. We skin the legs whilst its on the ground and then lift it with an electric hoist, skinning as its lifted. Once skinned a tractor buckets is put under and it is gutted hanging, strait into the bucket. Easy when there is 3 or 4 of us.
We do something very similar , it is a group effort and goes pretty quickly . And your right about old bulls , they can get a bit chewy lol .

AB

jthyttin

Maybe 2019/2020 season we can bow hunt moose here in Finland. The relevant statute/decree/whatever was just sent out for comments today.

Border

Maybe 2019/2020 season we can bow hunt moose here in Finland. The relevant statute/decree/whatever was just sent out for comments today.
I wouldnt hold your breath though. Usually if any government bodies approve a trial of bowhunting it is on the smaller game species up to roedeer, or maybe whitetail in Fi?

jthyttin

Everything except moose and large predators were approved two years ago. Now they're referring to good results in whitetail and wild boar hunting and like I said the relevant ministry sent the statute for comments. So they've already taken the view that moose will be added to bow hunting species.