The Cost of DSC1

Mr Lewis

DSC 1 Costs effective 29[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2012

BDS

4 Course £275 Includes DSC 1 Manual (£30 if Purchased separately)
Assessment Only £160
Ultimate Deer Data + Assessments £175

BASC

4 day course £290

Donnington Deer Management

4 Day Course £305
Assessment only £145

Barony College
2 Day Course £290

Yorkshire Roe Stalking

2 Day Course £300
Assessment only £130

Greenlee Deer Stalking

3 Day Course £295 Including Lunches and Manual
Assessment only £145

Moray Outfitting

2 Day Course £280
Our Two day Course cost is £280 including Assessment Registration, test fees etc, David Stretton DSC1 Manual and one month free access to DSCTrainer's website.

Corinium Rifle Range
3 Day Course £290

Jelen
£299 includes free access to Jelen ILC (Interactive Learning Centre), free CD Rom, pre-course learning material.

NGO
4 Day Course £290

Last edited:

PKL

I thought Barony was 2 day weekend courses for £295.

you missed Borders College in St. Boswells and Elmwood in Fife ;)

al4x1

Just goes to show you can do it with who you want as the costs are so similar. In my case with Jelen it was offset by not having to take 4 days off work. Self employed it saves a packet.

Last edited:

Mr Lewis

If you know of any more just add them or pm me and I will edit my post

Couldn't find a price on Jelens website

al4x1

£299 when I did it, with a free stalk included and access to the interactive learning thingumy

Jelendeer

If you know of any more just add them or pm me and I will edit my post

Couldn't find a price on Jelens website
Hi Mr. Lewis,

Jelen price is £299. Price includes free access to our ILC (Interactive Learning Centre), free CD Rom, pre-course learning material and free telephone/email pre-course advice.

Regards,

Mike.

PS. Two days.

NorthDorset

I have to do the meat Hygeine part of DSC1 because my qualification was sooo old it didnt include it.

Im doing this with Jelen next month. Point is that Mike let me into the Interactive Learning program and its really good.

All credit to you Mike. Really professional response.

Those of you worried about doing exams. I thoroughly recommend this.

roestalker

Mr. Lewis hello,

GREENLEE,

DSC1 courses include the manual, lunches and very happy to give any pre course advice.

We also do the assessment only at £145.

Best regards.

Jon.

crouch valley

Jelen Deer Services Eastern region offer free range time to any one worried about the shooting Exam that's a big plus to any one that's new to centre fire rifles.

Wylyekeeper

NGO £290
run over two weekends so 4 day course and no time off work - includes manual, no hidden costs.

The NGO course also covers large and small game meat so you can sell Rabbits and pheasants as well as the deer at no extra charge.

They are going to be running a course in Hants / Berks / Wilts later this year. Check out the website.

Pro_guitar

Barony near to Dumfries is very good.

Lovely surroundings in the forrest where the college is situated. Paul and Andrew are very helpful. The range is set in quality forestry surroundings.

What more do do you want or need?!

Paul at Fechan

John @ YDS is hosting his first DSC1, 25th,26th aug 2012 £300 all in + I believe pup grub included and free estate rifle use.

Barony fees have a sweet twist though, you get a free AW stalk or training included and there's a £200 grant candidates can get towards the course fees..... :tiphat:

Barony is a 2 day course not 4 as the op said and residents of Scotland earning up to £22k can apply and receive a £200 ILA Scotland Grant to cash in towards the course fees. That makes the full course £95 for anyone 16 and over living in Scotland who earns up to £22k. Assessment only with the grant is FREE!!!!

Barony College DSC1 from FREE :eek:, £95 for full course with grant :D and £295 for full course without the grant :doh:with pre course materials and deer ID cd, estate rifle use and refreshments (I bring kitkats now) all included + some free AW'ing or field training. Not that i'm bragging ......:fib:

That reminds me Pro_G, you never called :norty:

Wolverine

I did my assessment only day through BASC and at that time I was £90.
Resit any failed part was £25.
I passed first time on everything.
Is it not cheaper to sit the assessment only day and then pay for resits of failed parts??Depends on how many bits you fail on obviously!
IE how much nowadays does a resit cost??

stone

I did mine via BDS a few years ago
Blue Thomas
If not mistaken Alan's first course and the Late Ian Ballard
It was over 2 weekends with accomadation and food and fuel money to attend
If from memory total cost with all thrown in
£320
What has changed so much that has made the course so expensive per candidate just to register
Let alone attend??

rarms

Are any of the courses actually educational courses?

When I did mine, it was a two day course, and all we seemed to do was learn/go over the answers to the question bank. We didn't study any literature on the course, didn't go into the why's and how's of many of the questions, just learn't the answers. I guess it was assumed we had read the manual prior to attending the course, but to me it seemed I would have been aswell to just learn the answers myself and pay to take just the test.........

Mr Lewis

Rarms,

I am going to guess here that you did not do a BDS or BASC course then.

The only way you can teach the DSC1 course is over at least 4 days including assessment.

The courses that are less than this get by, by teaching the questions and answers parrot fashion.

biker1

Barony near to Dumfries is very good.

Lovely surroundings in the forrest where the college is situated. Paul and Andrew are very helpful. The range is set in quality forestry surroundings.

What more do do you want or need?!
lots and lots of kitkats:D

Sharpie

Rarms,

I am going to guess here that you did not do a BDS or BASC course then.

The only way you can teach the DSC1 course is over at least 4 days including assessment.

The courses that are less than this get by, by teaching the questions and answers parrot fashion.
+1

I took the 4 day BDS course. It is inconceivable that any 2 day course could cover the subject in anywhere near the same depth.

Since the assessment time is identical for both types of course, the 4 day course gives much more than twice the tuition time of the 2 day course.

Paul at Fechan

2 days inconceivable to the same depth??? In the last two years I've had one guy fail the main paper who did a resit on the next course and passed. With good pre course materials and solid teaching craft I can even find time to explore wild boar, funny videos of what not to do and hunting in Europe!

To be fair, 4 days might cover lots of 'extras' like deer dogs and wider management issues but the aim of level one training is to give your candidates the knowledge and understanding to pass. That's what I find the guys coming on 2 day courses want and with a lot of guys not having sat in a classroom for decades or unable to make 4 days out of their work to fit such courses it's best to keep it simple and straight forward.

Other opinions are fine as well.