The Dying Cow

johngryphon

rutland

I haven't been in that particular pub ,but we go to Wicklow twice a year for several days and that's the only time I drink the Black Gold as it tastes so much better

dunwater

Looks lovely, but the old Dying cow wasn't on any tourist map for very sound reasons, no food ,no draught, no indoor toilet. It was between Shillelagh and Tinahely. My Mrs asked for ice and was told to come back in December!

dunwater

We were in Wexford one Good Friday, the only Alcohol we could get was a brandy sauce on our steak in a Restaurant.:banghead:
Yes, that particular law used to catch a fair few visitors out, you'd see them wandering aimlessly around with expressions of stunned disbelief on their faces, all those pubs in plain sight and every one of them closed.
And the locals would have stocked up at the offie the previous day, it was very funny providing it wasn't you that booked the stag in Temple bar over Easter.
All changed now.

johngryphon

the Black Gold as it tastes so much better
Yes that is the truth,I have had it in bars in Australia ,even in Dubai when I saw it on tap I ordered a pint of the G and none of it tastes the same as the Irish true Guinness.
On looking at the photos further I was chuffed to ID my Aussie fiver still pinned on the wall and there is even a Victorian car rego plate there as well...who in the phuck carried that all the way to Ireland ha ha.

landkeeper

Guiness served anywhere else other than ireland is in my experience a poor pint indeed , iwas back in cheshire a few years ago and ordered a pint to be asked fid i want a chilled one !!!!!! Wtf is that about i hardly want a warm one !

The fourth Horseman

Depends when you were there John, ok being Aussie but Tinaheely was not the friendliest place in the world for an Englishman at one time.
Used to use the Hotel at Woodenbridge or Mrs Brown's (no not her with the boys) just outside Avoca.Fitzgeralds in Avoca (Ballykissangel) was great if you wanted a pugilistic experience on Saturday night. All in all great beer and a lot of laughs and sore ribs when I lived in Wicklow
:thumb:

johngryphon

Last there 2013. I was lost to injury for three years which has stopped me heading back for a third time.
I was hoping to get back this year but its unlikely.
Mate from Shillelagh came out and walloped a good stag here in return and had a real trip to remember.

I remember the customs woman at Dublin Airport arrivals gate asking me " what are you going to do in Ireland John"

"I`m going to have a few pints at the Dying Cow"

I explained re the Pub and within seconds she had it up on her screen saying " there it is,i found it and it looks really interesting, I will be going there myself too"