The Game Fair: Your 3 best bits?

MAH

I went on Friday really enjoyed it. My best bits were;
1. Best purchase: A variable choke for my Cutts Compensator on my 12g rem 1100 (Pic). At least I think it was a bargain
2. Best show: The Shetland Pony racing. Those wee kids really go for it.
3. Best presentation: Open discussion with a Firearms Licencing Officer, c/o Medicert. Really interesting.

What were your 3 best bits.

Attachments

• 20210723_204034.jpg
    20210723_204034.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 55

TomT3

1. Enjoying a nice Cuban cigar.
2. Chatting to the GWCT
3. Chatting in the terrier tent.

4 and sorry to hijack/rant -The realisation that game fairs aren’t what they used to be and next year I’ll take the wife and go shopping for ornaments, a pair of overpriced flip flops and a technicolour painting of a fox. I’ll also drink and eat lots but won’t consider purchasing anything half shooting related/mainly because there is hardly anything there! Fishermans area was pathetic!. Also outraged as I saw the same rimefire I have recently purchased a month ago at a ‘special’ game fair price for over £200 more than I bought mine for.

TomT3

Yes sorry rant over-I did enjoy it, it’s just sad to see that it’s not based around country pursuits and country people anymore. All the small stands are priced out of it. Not that many equipment stands etc. A lot of stands that aren’t remotely shooting related eg a soap stand for instance. I think there was more ‘lifestyle and food stands than there was actually shooting any way just my opinion.

Apologies didn’t mean to de-rail

tozzybum

Went Friday ,
1, bought 2 Sheffield steel lambsfoot knives.
2, Best entertainment agree Shetland pony race .
3, best bit meeting friends Vss n Mouse for a venison nosh and a glass or 2 of nice bitter.
All " country shows" have been whatever markets for years but it keeps the shows going.
Scott Rhea,s butchery demo was great .
Enjoyable day out ,drooled over some well made stuff by Rigby ,Holland n Holland and Boss .
Without the show I'd never get to see such stuff so accept the hot tubs and handbag stands as their rent helps pay for the rest atb

To Tom3's point - The internet killed Gamefairs of old. I remember going with a long shopping list and a brown envelope of last year's picking up money and coming back with loads of stuff I wanted. I'd literally buy most of my shooting and fishing stuff for the year in one go. No need any longer as internet means you can get anything you want immediately and scour different shops to find the best price.

kripton

One benefit of game fairs is the opportunity to attend a manufacturer's stand and confront the reps for that particular company and physically demonstrate any problems you have experienced with their kit which the manufacturer denies exist or chooses to ignore . If the reps can see and acknowledge the problem it is difficult for the manufacturer then to deny it exists !

London Jaeger

I went on Friday really enjoyed it. My best bits were;
1. Best purchase: A variable choke for my Cutts Compensator on my 12g rem 1100 (Pic). At least I think it was a bargain
2. Best show: The Shetland Pony racing. Those wee kids really go for it.
3. Best presentation: Open discussion with a Firearms Licencing Officer, c/o Medicert. Really interesting.

What were your 3 best bits.
They had the Shetland Pony racing down at the Devon County Show this year. I was by the ring and am a keen follower of the turf so stuck around to watch it. In all honesty, as it was building up and the commentator was talking about the various kids and ponies I thought it was going to be some boring event of them being led around more the mothers and father to coo at the kids and so on.

Couldn’t of misjudged them more. They went off like the Cheltenham Gold Cup and it was a total cavalry charge. The kid Jockeys did not hold pack an inch of speed and there were plenty of fallers over the races. It was easily the best and most memorable attraction at the show for me.

They were putting it on for a charity and I went and put £50 in there box after the race as they had earned every penny of it.

uptonogood

Meeting a new friend ,Andycf off here and haggling with the rep on the airgun stand .Wasn’t budging but fun anyway .
Getting rinsed for a burger and pint ,14 notes ffs .
Never bought a thing as either not my size or too expensive .The internet will fill my order yet again .
Not really sure what the draw is as they ain’t like fairs of old .We've one coming up local here but I’ll not go as it’s a craft fair billed as a country show .
Saved a dogs life probably that was put in a coat ffs .A Labrador type that was struggling to breath ,stand or focus .Ripped the coat off and ran to a tap with it and soaked it’s thighs for ages .That’s were the blood vessels are closest to the surface in a dog for reference in the future .Lady thought I was stealing the dog and screamed but when she saw the dog come round she relented somewhat .Never got bit as a thought I might as it regained consciences .Owner wanted to buy me something but I declined and went on my way .
All in a day out .

Storkie

I went Friday, was my first visit. Best bits were, breakfast lunch & dinner! (Southern fried pheasant was lovely) Didn’t watch anything really but had a nice walk around.. some nice ice cream and got relieved of most my cash at a kids clothes sale 😂

bogtrotter

A lot of stands that aren’t remotely shooting related eg a soap stand for instance.

Apologies didn’t mean to de-rail
Don't shooting people wash?
I wasn't there but I presume it is like all the other game fairs these days. I do get your point and I don't mind the non shooting stands they gave my wife something to look at making a day at the Game Fair a pleasant day out for both
of us.
No I have no objection to those type of stalls and they must make salesor they would have stopped coming , no objection just so long as they don't outnumber the traditional stalls.

mudman

I used to really enjoy the non sales stands, the world pheasant association with a display of, err..pheasants, another organisation once had an exhibit with some live wolves, another from Arabia about the houbara bustard. They were all excellent, I fear they now get attempt to charge such like a high stand fee so no longer attend. The GWCT and WPA stands at the Scottish game fair were excellent. Game fairs are not all about buying stuff.

NewForester

• Good to see the Grenadier (and my wife even said that I could have one!)
  • Looked at the new D-Max as well (which I liked but my wife not so keen on)
  • Dog tent (saw a Brittany for the first time and liked it)
  • Entered a draw for a .416 Rigby (I don't know how I will get it on my ticket if I win. I suppose I will finally have to go on dangerous game safari.) I see that Rigby is selling Courtney boots and one had a Rigby label.

Delboy 2606

• Good to see the Grenadier (and my wife even said that I could have one!)
  • Looked at the new D-Max as well (which I liked but my wife not so keen on)
  • Dog tent (saw a Brittany for the first time and liked it)
  • Entered a draw for a .416 Rigby (I don't know how I will get it on my ticket if I win. I suppose I will finally have to go on dangerous game safari.) I see that Rigby is selling Courtney boots and one had a Rigby label.