The Mighty Deer Stalker, anybody else doing it?

Thar

I am doing The Mighty Deer Stalker 10km race/obstacle course on the 21st of March, is anybody else doing it? Just got to sort out my tweed deerstalker for it. :D

Here is link for anybody who fancies doing a race with a stalking connection.

http://www.themightydeerstalker.com/

Best rgds

Tahr

Thar

Ballibeg said:
Done it the last two years but decided to give it a rest this year. Great atmosphere on the day.

Enjoy.

Dave
Hi Dave

Any advice for when doing it :???:

Best rgds

Tahr

Ballibeg

The distances are more than you expect! The 5km route is nearer 6.5km. One of the first obstacles is a pond, which you go through the middle of, in fact water figures a lot in the course, so make sure whatever you're running in is OK soaked... chaffing's not good! I ran with a light weight running jacket which helped a lot as some of the weirder obstacles can have queues of runners at them so you are forced to stop and with out I'd have got very cold!

The venue itself has a few things going on, but don't bank on it to amuse a young family and it all costs money! If you are camping then the area is small and noisy. The field is on a hill so a 4x4 could be useful in bad weather, loads of folk get stuck trying to leave. On the food side Pete's Eat mobile cafe is normally there and very good. The hog roast outside the bar is a rip off!

I enjoyed it but the second time was very samey course wise and I had some grief from inappropriately behaved toffs from Edinburgh University (foul language and drunk).

I've a pdf of the routes last year if you pm me your email I'll forward.

Dave

Thar

Ballibeg said:
The distances are more than you expect! The 5km route is nearer 6.5km. One of the first obstacles is a pond, which you go through the middle of, in fact water figures a lot in the course, so make sure whatever you're running in is OK soaked... chaffing's not good! I ran with a light weight running jacket which helped a lot as some of the weirder obstacles can have queues of runners at them so you are forced to stop and with out I'd have got very cold!

I've a pdf of the routes last year if you pm me your email I'll forward.

Dave
The advice on the clothing is a big help, I am doing the 10k. I was wondering what to wear as normally I would just run in a tee shirt and shorts, but with the water crossing and waiting to get across obstacles ect will sap your body heat, so on your advice I think I will wear a extra layer.

I live a 1 hour away so I won’t be camping but looks like I will take the 4X4 to get out of the place.

I will PM you for a map if that is OK

Best rgds

Tahr

D

Davie

Kevin for Christ sake don't ware them tight white pants or Jon will need to make this an over 18 s Site good luck i am sure 10 k will be a piece of **** ;)

Thar

Davie said:
Kevin for Christ sake don't ware them tight white pants or Jon will need to make this an over 18 s Site good luck i am sure 10 k will be a piece of **** ;)
Dave if you were Wearing tight white pants it would have to be a XXX site never mind over 18. :eek:

10km on the road is a piece of ****, ;) a speed event for us. I would look to do it in around 40mins; a winner would be around 30. But you don’t have to run though ponds, up rivers or climb cargo nets and log piles ect in a normal 10km. The winners are doing the Mighty deer stalker in about 1:30 looking at the results. I would like to get round in around 2 hours, but we will have to see.

I am doing the event with a couple of mates the thing is one is a vegan, :eek: but we get on great. :???:

Thanks for you good wishes Dave.

Best rgds

Tahr

Stringer

Thar said:
10km on the road is a piece of ****, ;)
You're not trying then :lol:. Wouldnt be the first time I pukked after crossing the line after my legendary sprint finish :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: .

This sounds like a fantastic event, but unfortunately I've just had a year of doing next to no running (due to wifes illness) and am some way off the fitness I would like (& a stone & a half over my fighting weight :rolleyes: )

Thar, In which direction are you an hour from this place, I cant be much more in Kilmarnock.

Good luck to all who participate.

Stephen

Thar

Stringer said:
Thar said:
You're not trying then :lol:. Wouldnt be the first time I pukked after crossing the line after my legendary sprint finish :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: .

Stephen
I know were you are coming from Stephen, racing 10km can be hard on the road just because you are pushing yourself relentlessly with no change of pace, until your sprint finish. :lol: Where on a 15km hill run you get natural pace changes as you go up hills then down, and the down hill bits can be almost as hard as the up hills when you are racing.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s illness, I am just building back my fitness after my wife was ill last year also, this will be my first event. I hope to have got 1/2 a stone off before the event.

I stay near Moffat.

Best rgds

Tahr

devilishdave

My sister and two Brothers in Law are doing it, I cant make it, I used to do a lot of Cycling at Glen Tress a few years ago. Fantastic venue for it.

Dave

Stringer

Thar said:
Stringer said:
Thar said:

Stephen
I know were you are coming from Stephen, racing 10km can be hard on the road just because you are pushing yourself relentlessly with no change of pace, until your sprint finish. :lol: Where on a 15km hill run you get natural pace changes as you go up hills then down, and the down hill bits can be almost as hard as the up hills when you are racing.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s illness, I am just building back my fitness after my wife was ill last year also, this will be my first event. I hope to have got 1/2 a stone off before the event.

I stay near Moffat.

Best rgds

Tahr

I'm struggling to get properly motivated to train at the moment, hopefully the lighter nights and better weather will help.:oops:

Good luck with the event, might see you there next year. :rolleyes:

Thar

Stringer said:
Good luck with the event, might see you there next year. :rolleyes:
Perhaps we should have a "Stalking Directory Team" for next year; it would be appropriate event for the site. :D

Best rgds

Tahr

Thar

Well chaps I thought it only fair to let you know how I went on in my endeavours at the weekend........................

Well, we won, we won………………..with the provisional results in it looks like myself and two mates running as team ADAC (Annan and district athletics club) have won the men’s team event by a combined time of 25 mins over our nearest rivals. :D

My own time of 1:33 minutes gave me 47th place out of 1,000 entrants, the thing is last year that time would have been good for 5th place out of 500ish entrants, obviously this year the standard was much higher. I am well pleased with my time. :D :D

In the event I found that I lost places to the 9st fly weights on the climbs and road but were able to fly passed them on the down hills and over the obstacles, at one point they have you running up a river for a few hundred yards, I claimed about 5 places here running/wading though the water. I took a fall down hilling and have cuts to my right leg and pulled something in my left arm but all will heal.

I would rate the event as a tough one, but well organized, oh forget the 10km bit it is more like at least 13km.

Best rgds

Tahr

Thar

Ballibeg said:
Well done! I know the 5kmn took it out of me but to put in a winning team performance...

Great!

Dave
Hi Dave

On sunday I had that washed out feeling you get after you have pushed yourself really hard, not to mention the sore calf muscles from the hill climbs, and the cuts and bruises from my fall. :rolleyes: Still I am a veteran in my mid’ forties. :D I did a 5 mile hill run tonight with a few club members, just slow by my normal pace, but I feel a bit better for it. I have got to get right for Saturday as we have a Hill race at Langholm in the morning then stalking in the afternoon.

I will post some photos once I get them.

Best rgds

Tahr