The nations favourite planes.

Nugs

Great pictures Martyn, good to see them in the air. Its a shame that we will never see a Vulcan flying again, as this was a game changer like yours pictured, albeit from a different era.

Sika98k

I believe it is a Dakota or DC3, I will have to go and dig my old Airfix models out of the attic for further clarification.

Alantoo

I had an Airfix Dakota too...my half century memory had the wing tips a slightly different profile but maybe the white stripes are the confusion.

Amazingly fast shutter speed...every propeller frozen sharp as sharp.

Alan

mealiejimmy

A Douglas DC3 Dakota (aka C47 in the USAAF)
And the similarity between said Dakota and a Spitfire (apart from the fact that they are both aircraft?
Both have semi elliptical wings :smug:

Cheers

Bruce

smullery

And the reason for the RAF buying a somewhat used DC3 was for pilot training for the Lancaster. Cheaper and less risky for the pool of pilots to keep their hand in by putting hours on a cheap airframe rather than a rarity.

Not many people fly large multi engine tail draggers, a skill not taught anymore.

tarponhead

Sit the Lancaster and even B17 next to current heavy bombers and they look tiny. I'm still ambivalent about the Vulcan - it last flew from Kemble, near where I live and I remember it as a kid. Novel but hardly the most effective. Still, others like it, so there we are. It would be great to have warbird shows here, like they do in the US.

paul o'

Excuse my ignorance but what is the twin engined plane?[/QUOTE) a jumpers dream Dac C47 skytrain this baby flow over a high seat I was in up north :drool:
xmqKoiSyROeP2104GDTm-hZ8fGbh5p2QMYkUN0imD8k50dRKveZ1S85fFQC98M6ny5PRg1TrOl739qgVGFrPs2wXNELlof51GKdjNYQCMSwqvGcz_IVynRGUKUeA_cdesoqV6xRrMmqvxhVkHYu3AysQz9euUiYTDmuuznh7JOI_CX_uICocAX34z43Lu7DnEln-ow40VV4mWVyK--JMlMkdCVNr_XQ3YdsyivUdZRFHwdvq5VpvYjzzyKbLA4gA4LASj9KzWR0TSEVPx078slXL6mtxsN5GtMwr8hKfxUVMbvgIgn-6ccEFLdxhXwQmQb7nbwdsvkUCkU7Q0bouF7OVRa_zCTySrX_yI_RFZFFGbUKIIIK2LLfc4opkyit2MojzsZVuJQke0sBfx7pfi2NYMUTwA9-oSjoSYANqLWhzuESu-ZWtEY7lB1L1YO9uhex9JsYri_80s8rHlXOJ5DiwA3SCOxBUXqxcEVremRxQrJU0gmaTcbS-PDjAvYiu6vr0iMwbZWwOkIDqJDT8JFXoMxWQSQ9dCWrZzW2JaWJHeasuIA8trpw_cT_3BHYiSL3Gh7RL_4HP7hFfLb8udv8l9oRi9uSOHedU8eI=w826-h619-no
remember one sad looking old girl sitting outside
Browning barracks

Last edited:

paul o'

One day we will see a Mosquito up with the rest of them again.
With you on that one tiz my plane of joy that would be a sight to see chopped down bomber twine Merlin's she was fast and could eat what ever it did't like , such brave guys but oh what an aircraft. sadly only new Zealand has the only one

Last edited: