The "Perfect" Lightweight Stalking Rifle

Dorsettaff

As the dark winter evenings draw in and whisky fuelled fire side chats drift towards "what would be your ideal stalking gun"...….I have IMHO found what I consider to be my perfect "Go To" stalking rifle!

The brief was.....Must be light enough to haul up and down the Scottish hill all day, short enough to scramble through Dorset heathland gorse and New Forest birch thickets. Must be able to shoot effectively out to 400m, must be able to launch a 120-160 grain bullet at reasonable speeds to knock down all of the UK species and a cheeky pig or two if needed. Must look sexy (Obviously!) and mustn't cost my other arm and leg ( the other two being spend on an R8)

So a trip to The Dasherman...….. a second hand shot-out T3, a 20" Bartlein barrel, an Atec Hertz can, a lightweight hunter PSE stock from Edi, a set of Talley rings, a spray of graphite black cerakote, a twirl of a router along the bolt, a Swaro 5-30 x 50 on top, and VIOLA !!!

Weighing in at a tad over 7.5lbs fully loaded...…... my 7mm-08 "Hill & Heathland" machine!

Christened with a Dorset muntjac, followed by a roe buck, fallow buck, sika stag and dragged up to a wet Scotland for a red hind.

Pushing a 140gr Interbond at 2800fps it drops everything its hit so far!

A HUGE thanks to Neil for making it happen....Its all I could have dreamed off and exactly what we set out to achieve!

Happy Bunny !!! :thumb:
IMG_9426.JPGIMG_9422.JPG

Love the K95 it’s the greatest gun to shoot ever. Would never get rid of mine yours looks the nuts as well. This is In .308

so for me one in 7x57 or .308 would be ideal even .30.06 if you don’t mind a bit of recoil

Attachments

• 5B8C3010-2321-4690-A082-8289EBC54F1B.jpeg
    5B8C3010-2321-4690-A082-8289EBC54F1B.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 191
Rem m700 ti 308 chopped to 18"
ASE Jet Z (I like muzzle forward weight)
Jewell
Recknagel secura 3 position safety
Mcmillan mountain stock in edge (ADL - no floorplate)
Swarovski pv 8x56i in Talleys

8lb
Originally my moose 'dog handlers' rifle with a zeiss 3-9x42 now repurposed to using with my portable high seat on my opposite shoulder in places I have to walk in and out with seat for each outing

Last edited:
Standard T3 plastic

Good choice, if the plastic floorplate ever gives problems (very seldom) it can be replaced with an alu aftermarket part. The setup you have is very sensible and only once you have hunted with that combination one will notice how well the recoil management of this carbon stock works. Enjoy your rifle.
edi

As the dark winter evenings draw in and whisky fuelled fire side chats drift towards "what would be your ideal stalking gun"...….I have IMHO found what I consider to be my perfect "Go To" stalking rifle!

The brief was.....Must be light enough to haul up and down the Scottish hill all day, short enough to scramble through Dorset heathland gorse and New Forest birch thickets. Must be able to shoot effectively out to 400m, must be able to launch a 120-160 grain bullet at reasonable speeds to knock down all of the UK species and a cheeky pig or two if needed. Must look sexy (Obviously!) and mustn't cost my other arm and leg ( the other two being spend on an R8)

So a trip to The Dasherman...….. a second hand shot-out T3, a 20" Bartlein barrel, an Atec Hertz can, a lightweight hunter PSE stock from Edi, a set of Talley rings, a spray of graphite black cerakote, a twirl of a router along the bolt, a Swaro 5-30 x 50 on top, and VIOLA !!!

Weighing in at a tad over 7.5lbs fully loaded...…... my 7mm-08 "Hill & Heathland" machine!

Christened with a Dorset muntjac, followed by a roe buck, fallow buck, sika stag and dragged up to a wet Scotland for a red hind.

A HUGE thanks to Neil for making it happen....Its all I could have dreamed off and exactly what we set out to achieve!

View attachment 141836View attachment 141838
Looks a nice set up, I know the rifle is lightweight but doesn't it get tiresome carrying the table and rests around?! :lol:

View attachment 141836View attachment 141838

This spec is so similar to a build Ronin did for my son. Only difference was a 20 inch GB barrel in 308 Win and a Kahles variable scope (4.5-18) . Works very well indeed as you can see from his DSC 1 test target.

Attachments

• 5DEB2A9A-8635-4635-85C6-99499CEDD0C8.jpeg
    5DEB2A9A-8635-4635-85C6-99499CEDD0C8.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 308
Nice looking gun.
the r93 in std offroad stock was a great hill rifle. light, pointable although a little short in the lop.

Sauer 202 classic synthetic Swaro 8x50PF classic not screw cut on Recknagel mounts only alterations is an added stud fitted for Harris bipod. Light simple and works. In fact most stalkers have commented on it's lightness to me.

Love the K95 it’s the greatest gun to shoot ever. Would never get rid of mine yours looks the nuts as well. This is In .308

so for me one in 7x57 or .308 would be ideal even .30.06 if you don’t mind a bit of recoil
I think a k95 in .308 is a pretty good choice for hunting just about anywhere in the world - suitable for just about any game smaller than elephant and hard to think where ammunition would not be available...

Back