The Roaring Begins

sundog

I heard my first stag roaring today. I didn't see him but he roared twice from a plantation.

Mossypaw

Started about four days ago on this side of the Minch. Right through the night the last couple of nights. Went out for a spy tonight, and the stag making all the noise was holding......... one hind !

takbok

Heard a roar out of the mist on a rainy Tuesday evening (24 September) here in Aberdeenshire.

Last edited:

hendrix's rifle

Same down here. The big boys are starting to jealousy guard their hinds, but no overt evidence of roaring or rutting as yet.
Noticed a couple of poor stags around holding the Hinds, one especially has a bad limp and has maybe 12 hinds. No doubt he will get tossed about, only a young ish boy, poor head and a dam site smaller than the big boys about. Feel sorry for the lad, would have been shot if he was on my ground!

Orion

Noticed a couple of poor stags around holding the Hinds, one especially has a bad limp and has maybe 12 hinds. No doubt he will get tossed about, only a young ish boy, poor head and a dam site smaller than the big boys about. Feel sorry for the lad, would have been shot if he was on my ground!
Time to get the piece of vacuum cleaner pipe out and entice him over then? ;)

dunwater

I heard my first stag roaring today. I didn't see him but he roared twice from a plantation.
I was out yesterday, heard a couple of Sika calling and saw a lot of stags moving, response to the call is a bit eratic still, but last night the temperature dropped to single figures so I bet the choir will be in full voice on Sunday.
Can't wait, there just has to be a big black 8 out there waiting for me.

sundog

Started about four days ago on this side of the Minch. Right through the night the last couple of nights. Went out for a spy tonight, and the stag making all the noise was holding......... one hind !
Yesterday was the first time I heard a stag Mossy but a fellow I was talking to last weekend told me he had heard one in Uig last week. I think some of the older boys like to have a wee practice before they get serious :D

lochty

First one roaring in central Perthshire yesterday. Stags have been seen with hinds for about s week now.

BigPat

Lovely......I’ll be up near Inverness for a few days from the 7th Oct So hopefully the stags will be in full majesty by then.

Orion

Same down here. The big boys are starting to jealousy guard their hinds, but no overt evidence of roaring or rutting as yet.
I spoke too soon!

I’m away for the weekend but youngest daughter has just texted to say that they have one roaring like billy oh in the field outside the back door. So it’s now kicking off here (or rather there until I get back! :rolleyes:).

dartmoordog

I have a large, mixed, wood behind me, normally hooching with Roe and Red, but Fountain are clear felling a chunk of soft right now.......So thats that f***ed. :mad: :mad: