The Stalking Show Stafford 2024

J9Ned

Could anyone share their thoughts about this show please. I'm looking to buy my first set up for Deer and realistically am looking at second hand to get the best (well-cared for) glass and rifle I can afford. Do the dealers tend to display/sell new optics and rifles, or might I find a good S/H deal there?

Its a far better show than the NEC one imo . Have in mind what you wont or need as a working package. Then go on line and look on the S/Show web who is going to be there as a seller ! then go on that sellers page and see what they have .If its what you like then ask if they would take it to the show for you to have a hands on look . I have done this many times for items or reloading bits i'v needed.

I've seen some very tempting packages come up but a bit too far away as I'd like to handle them before buying. I'll keep looking though... Good things come to those who wait.
The first rifle I wanted to buy off here I missed out on because my finances were a bit dicky at the time, and the vendor (understandably) didn't want to hang on to it in the vague hope my situation would improve. So it was marked down as sold to someone else, and I wept a little into my morning muesli.
A month later, when I'd been paid for some job or other or sold some sheep or something, lo and behold the same rifle was readvertised due to the first "buyer" being a total time waster who hadn't even got his FAC yet. So I bought it, and have still got it.
So yes, good things come to those who wait. If you're patient, you'll get exactly what you want at a reasonable price.

until very recently I was in the same boat regards equipment

the classifieds here ( admin - maybe allow wants with out the 30 post thing ? )
guntrader/gunstar

highly recommended - get to know your local ( good ) gunsmith/shop

sportsmanguncentre.co.uk

tbh, out of all options, I'd really go with your local gunsmith - he'll be open when you need something then and there rather than 2+ delivery day. use 'em or lose 'em.

best of luck

I don't recall seeing that many used items there. But neither did NEC.

Aside
At the NEC show, it did amuse me to see site security searching bags on the way in. Presumably for knives etc.
And people were walking out with knives, firearms and ammunition brought in the event.
I was hoping for them to find the boxs of 308 with me on the way in. And the argument about it.

Go and have a good day out and look at all sorts of rifles, scopes & other kit, if you buy you buy but you might get a better idea of what you like and dont like after handling in the flesh.
Yes, I think that was one of my primary objectives. I want a good "tool " but I also want something that fits and feels right. I've heard some rifles, although good tools and accurate, feel a bit plasticky which I want to avoid.

hi l have been to the stalking show for the last 2year and book for this year it a very good show l have meet a lot of people new and old some that have put me in the right director there is also some on the forum that may help you out steve at Ivythorn Sporting is very good as well
I have to say that a couple of rifles they're currently selling are of interest but he's 3 hours away from me. I noticed you can try them out 'round the back - do you think he'd let me do that at Stafford? joke.

I have to say that a couple of rifles they're currently selling are of interest but he's 3 hours away from me. I noticed you can try them out 'round the back - do you think he'd let me do that at Stafford? joke.
What calibre are you looking for? And what style (traditional wood/blued steel, or modern synthetic/stainless steel)?

What calibre are you looking for? And what style (traditional wood/blued steel, or modern synthetic/stainless steel)?

I'll primarily be taking roe and muntjac with the (very) odd fallow in open farmland and woodland. 30m to 200m shots I think will be the norm. Some field range work to zero/practice but not heavy/sustained use. On that basis I've asked for a variation for a .243 (have a .17hmr presently). I'm undecided on style. I like the practicality of synthetic/stainless although I do like the lines of the tikka hunter stainless or similar.

it might be worth getting yourself to a range day - I know BDS have one in Ipswich soon, Id be really surprised if they're not all over the shop.

sometimes its good to shoot the actual thing rather than just sight up the bloke at the bar with no scope on it.

best of luck

Ed will be there so talk to him and he may be able to source a suitable rifle for you. Its the best show for stalkers in the UK. I attended the very first one up at Kelso and have gone every year since.
D

Ed will be there so talk to him and he may be able to source a suitable rifle for you. Its the best show for stalkers in the UK. I attended the very first one up at Kelso and have gone every year since.
D
There's only been two. The first was at Stafford County Showground in 2022 :-|

It was called Deer Stalking fair but a quick Google search pulls up Deer Stalking show 2018 in Kelso. I am not sure if it changed or transformed into the Stalking Show. In fact CSI gave me a lift up one year. Parents lived near Coldstream.
Any way the Stalking Show at Stafford is for me the best show to attend.
D

Back