Thermal Drones

So easy to say Malc - and in that case so many of the people that you guys - guide - are simply not stalkers either - and never will be
That's a silly comment. Everyone starts somewhere in any job or profession. That's another priceless pointless comment :lol:

If you or anyone wants to sit on your arse in your vehicle while you look at your mobile phone or monitor to look for deer, because you cant be asked to walk the ground, or because its raining, then that's up to you. To me it just shows that stalking deer is not stalking anymore. Its just a lazy man/women's way of stalking.

That's a silly comment. Everyone starts somewhere in any job or profession. That's another priceless pointless comment :lol:

If you or anyone wants to sit on your arse in your vehicle while you look at your mobile phone or monitor to look for deer, because you cant be asked to walk the ground, or because its raining, then that's up to you. To me it just shows that stalking deer is not stalking anymore. Its just a lazy man/women's way of stalking.

No its not - not at all - most "stalkers" will never stalk on their own
What about the "stalker" who sits in a high seat ?

I must admit i am no stalker - but certainly can see the pros of using drones and i would think if you think about it long enough - so will you

No its not - not at all - most "stalkers" will never stalk on their own
What about the "stalker" who sits in a high seat ?

I must admit i am no stalker - but certainly can see the pros of using drones and i would think if you think about it long enough - so will you
Hmm, it seems a few agree with my initial post on this subject.

Adding to my post, highseats are often used to control deer in areas that require a backstop, or where its difficult to stalk them with heavy cover surrounding the area. Many stalkers use a high seat for all kinds of reasons, not just because they cant stalk. Some may have medical issues or are restricted by their movements by their direct health. Many stalkers start by being mentored, but have their own ground, and cannot stalk on their own until permitted by their FEO, or are sensible enough to know when they have gained enough experience.

As for myself I thought about your above comment for a split second, no disrespect to your good self, but I will keep my opinion. Its certainly not going to change now or in the future.

Last edited:

You're taking a very narrow and personal view of what is 'stalking' and refusing to accept that others have a different view that is equally valid. An opinion that no doubt links in well with the threads on why people aren't taking up stalking.

So it's ok for someone to pay you or another guide £200 or so to be taken out and shown where deer are and they're still a stalker? Or even have you show them where a medal roe buck is for £1000 but if the same person spends money on a drone to help them decide where to stalk then they should be at home playing computer games?

Hmm, it seems a few agree with my initial post on this subject.

Adding to my post, highseats are often used to control deer in areas that require a backstop, or where its difficult to stalk them with heavy cover surrounding the area. Many stalkers use a high seat for all kinds of reasons, not just because they cant stalk. Some may have medical issues or are restricted by their movements by their direct health. Many stalkers start by being mentored, but have their own ground, and cannot stalk on their own until permitted by their FEO, or are sensible enough to know when they have gained enough experience.

As for myself I thought about your above comment for a split second, no disrespect to your good self, but I will keep my opinion. Its certainly not going to change now or in the future.

And thats the great thing about opinions

I just think its great to get people out really - and if a drone helps someone stalk this side of a valley or that side -
Or sit in a high seat and actually have a chance - then maybe it has a place

You're taking a very narrow and personal view of what is 'stalking' and refusing to accept that others have a different view that is equally valid. An opinion that no doubt links in well with the threads on why people aren't taking up stalking.

So it's ok for someone to pay you or another guide £200 or so to be taken out and shown where deer are and they're still a stalker? Or even have you show them where a medal roe buck is for £1000 but if the same person spends money on a drone to help them decide where to stalk then they should be at home playing computer games?
Nope. It's up to them. And telling me I have a narrow view is fine with me. As I said it's my opinion and I'm not changing it.
If you want to buy a drone fine by me. Knock yourself out.

Just because pro stalkers take people out, that does not make a client incapable of stalking on their own, which you seem to be implying. Learning how to stalk is part of being a stalker. Not sitting watching a screen.

Plenty of people taking up stalking, more than ever.

I’m fiercely old fashioned, blunt to the point and a spade is a spade, @devon deer stalker will remember the phone call I made picking his brains about thermal🙈

I hate using thermal, but it has its uses, I can live with out it happily if it packs up, drones are a massive step too far, if you can’t stalk and learn your ground, pack up and Fek off as far as I’m concerned!

I’m fiercely old fashioned, blunt to the point and a spade is a spade, @devon deer stalker will remember the phone call I made picking his brains about thermal🙈

I hate using thermal, but it has its uses, I can live with out it happily if it packs up, drones are a massive step too far, if you can’t stalk and learn your ground, pack up and Fek off as far as I’m concerned!

Yes i get that - But as you say you hate thermal - and i dont know for sure but would perhaps think you said you would never use those 5/10 years ago.

Believe me - i prefer simple- as i say im not really much of a deer stalker - no pressure to shoot any at all really - more a freezer filler type chap - and i love the simple slow stalk about - more to look at the wildlife than cull numbers

Yes i get that - But as you say you hate thermal - and i dont know for sure but would perhaps think you said you would never use those 5/10 years ago.

Believe me - i prefer simple- as i say im not really much of a deer stalker - no pressure to shoot any at all really - more a freezer filler type chap - and i love the simple slow stalk about - more to look at the wildlife than cull numbers
I was adamant I wasn’t going to use thermal I must have been one for the last to get it, but a friend talked me into it, I certainly won’t replace it that’s for sure!

I personally can’t see the point in flying a drone over pressured deer, who will very quickly wise up to it that’s for sure, they will just stay in their safe havens until the dead of night.

Few weeks back I attended a sorta meet up trial day for the benefits of a drone purely for work as I have been looking, unsafe loft inspections, wasps and locating all general pest control bits, site surveys /plans/ area checks it’s endless what you can achieve

One guy had some footage he made just around where he lives, with camera and a thermal, one of these a job was in a derelict rail tunnel to inspect for damage slip etc, it was incredible on detail, logging details/ taking pics / videos
Ok he was a top notch techie, and made it all look very easy it was a brilliant eye opener on what you can achieve

All of this stuff can and is used in forestry including deer counts which is all generating money not a hobby and here comes the big one. How can a non business stalking person or group justify the cost of the gear needed ???

Your spending it not earning it, with a low return

If its your hobby crack on but as for general use ie stalking is there really a use for it, you’ll a ghillie as well to carry all the batteries and weather proof bags

Nice as a hobby, but for me albeit drones are fantastic pieces of kit and perform faultlessly

My thoughts would be to keep to what I know and learn something new every time your out, for non work
It would be a no for me I like the continual learning circle you get on foot, has at a guess the only drone you will see near any my rifles would be a drone pro

For business can’t fault them, If I can justify one I would consider it an £££ investment and the way forward

It’s all down to motivation, for serious deer reduction, invaluable, in last 2 weeks of the fallow season we took 6x last years number due to using a drone to spot and plot route… For hobbiests probably not worth the outlay but if you have the cash why not? Obviously it doesn’t suit those making a living out of taking people stalking, but they have a vested interest in not seriously hitting deer hard.

Also good for pushing problem canadas off the sugar beat …

It’s all down to motivation, for serious deer reduction, invaluable, in last 2 weeks of the fallow season we took 6x last years number due to using a drone to spot and plot route… For hobbiests probably not worth the outlay but if you have the cash why not? Obviously it doesn’t suit those making a living out of taking people stalking, but they have a vested interest in not seriously hitting deer hard.

What drone did you have?

Spotting and planning a route is where a drone excels for deer stalking. I think too many people on here are getting confused with an episode of MASH where people are low flying across the jungle buzzing deer directly over there heads causing panic with the 'whoo whop' from a Bell Huey. It's no different to any other form of spot and stalk using anything other than the MK1 eyeball.

If you only had three hours to go deer stalking would you rather spend it on the wrong side of the farm seeing no deer or spend five minutes to put a drone up and head to where you know deer are? You still need field raft to get close enough.

Spotting and planning a route is where a drone excels for deer stalking. I think too many people on here are getting confused with an episode of MASH where people are low flying across the jungle buzzing deer directly over there heads causing panic with the 'whoo whop' from a Bell Huey. It's no different to any other form of spot and stalk using anything other than the MK1 eyeball.

If you only had three hours to go deer stalking would you rather spend it on the wrong side of the farm seeing no deer or spend five minutes to put a drone up and head to where you know deer are? You still need field raft to get close enough.

As earlier, I was pretty amazed at the areas that can be covered and the camera quality was really superb, drones certainly aren’t a hobby, the two I see must have cost more than a silver dollar

The thermal was covering a fair area, wouldn’t take long at all with a thermal type camera to check some areas out prior to going out.

They wouldn’t be for me going out on a leisure stalk, but awesome bit of kit all the same certainly if your up against the numbers game it would give you head start, it could give some better results very easily.

Real time - Hobby or part time stalkers the outlay, more gear to do and prepare, new era

My personal thoughts - it’s one for contractors in deer stalking

I'm quite happy making a cock up and going to the wrong areas every now and then. It reminds me I've still got a lot to learn there's always next time . But if you only have the odd few hours every once in a while you shouldn't be on the ground that needs numbers reduced . As for the youngsters having little time but lots of money all the ones I know work more than 40 hrs a week and still have no money.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy making a cock up and going to the wrong areas every now and then. It reminds me I've still got a lot to learn there's always next time . But if you only have the odd few hours every once in a while you shouldn't be on the ground that needs numbers reduced . As for the youngsters having little time but lots of money all the ones I know work more than 40 hrs a week and still have no money.
They may have no cull plan, or they share the ground with other stalkers who are out more often or they have an injury or disability that prevents hours of rambling around or any other number of reasons why they'd want to maximise their success rate if their opportunities to stalk are limited.

It should (but doesn't) surprise me that so many people on here are unable or unwilling to see things from a different perspective and move to condemnation as a first port of call.

Back