Thermal imagine spotter - advice & demo

WAYNE

Good afternoon, I'm looking at purchasing a thermal imagine spotter, have looked at various magazines and you tube clips but it's still a mine field with these. I'm looking at spending about 2k. is there anyone with units that could give there opinions and possibly a demo. I don't want to spend a fortune on something that I end up disliking, I'm going to be using the majority of my time on foxes upto about 500 and also deer movement slightly further. I know Scott country do 7 day trial but would like to speak to some one who is not trying for the hard sale I live at Carlisle and often up at Lockerbie area and travel to Workington most days if any available to give a demo within these area's it would be appreciated. If anyone available can you PM please. Is there any thermal imagine shows any where in northern England/ southern Scotland coming up that anyone knows about? Have a good day. Wayne

I have the XD50S (believe it has now been superseded) however have to say I'm very impressed with it. It totally changes night shooting for rabbits and foxes. They may be expensive but I would say worthwhile

If you want to buy new, then it has to be a Pulsar XQ38 or XQ50.
If second hand, then a Pulsar HD50s or XD50s.
A used WT-37 from Night Vision Store is also worth considering
There are some new thermals from ATN , but their reliability and back up is iffy to say the least
Guide are good, but seriously overpriced
FLIR are also OK but they only sell the slow refresh rate units outside the USA because of the ITAR regulations.
That's pretty much it at the moment, although there will no doubt be more kit becoming available in the future.

Cheers

Bruce

I have been told that the new XQ range are a higher spec than the XD range so a lower number XQ can be as good as a higher number XD

Well I have been using Pulsar Thermals for in excess of 4 yrs and without doubt the new xq 38 is the one to buy. Once you have used one then there is no way back. The one I have access to is the original 38s which is good but the xq is in a completly different league. It will cost you £2.5k unless you use the group buy but worth every penny, esp if you use a 36month intrest free CC to purchase.

D

If you get one, get used to a lonely life, its very frustrating for a companion not to be able to see what you see.
The xq can be used in place of a cctv cam, very usefull in the right place.
Got mine connected to a small screen in the cab now, but looking for a twin cam dashcam for the future
to connect the xq to

Hi, Where does the Core FXD 50 add on, sit with all of the above sights does any one have one what do think of it is it worth the money.

Hi, Where does the Core FXD 50 add on, sit with all of the above sights does any one have one what do think of it is it worth the money.

i was looking for one of these but opinion seems to be that its better to get a separate thermal spotter as the sensor is better.

Well I have been using Pulsar Thermals for in excess of 4 yrs and without doubt the new xq 38 is the one to buy. Once you have used one then there is no way back. The one I have access to is the original 38s which is good but the xq is in a completly different league. It will cost you £2.5k unless you use the group buy but worth every penny, esp if you use a 36month intrest free CC to purchase.
D

Of what I've seen Pulsar Quantum is the most popular and the best.
The XQ38 is the way to go.
You won't regret it!

Every single Pulsar dealer I have spoken to, bar one (SC), has advised against the Core XD50, based on the image quality, and questionable POI reliability.

In contrast, my experience using the Core as a monocular observation was extremely positive. It showed a heat source at almost 4000m, which I knew to be a keeper's Kubota. I also 'identified' three heat sources at night, at 500m, in light cover as a roe doe with two kids. Clearly it helps if you know what is going on on your ground and if you are used to seeing your night time world in green and black, rather than black and white! Where it fell over is, as Lateral notes, its inability to maintain anything like a usable, reliable zero. :(

What is the consensus?
Seperate hand held Thermal Imager or one mounted on the rifle?

Handheld for me , more versatile ,
Can be used out walking the dog etc with no rifle in hand etc etc

Paul

Back