Thermal input survey.

John Gryphon

Just wanting an idea from the members that have either or tried both the add on thermal attachments and the stand alone thermal rifle scopes.
I have read the blurbs on both and have come up with the idea that the add on thermal is probably the better of the two being instantly useable on a variety of scoped rifles.

Over to you blokes.

Freeforester

Wrong! Read the comments from those who've tried them, as opposed to the sales pitch.
Front end add on is a waste of your Au$. Dedicated is the better option for sure.

Last edited:

Tim.243

Just wanting an idea from the members that have either or tried both the add on thermal attachments and the stand alone thermal rifle scopes.
I have read the blurbs on both and have come up with the idea that the add on thermal is probably the better of the two being instantly useable on a variety of scoped rifles.

Over to you blokes.

This guy in the US uses all of them....

Also a home grown Auz shooter

mealiejimmy

A thermal front add-on tries to do 2 things, be a spotter when off the rifle and a thermal scope when on the rifle.
As is often the case when a piece of equipment is designed to do 2 things, it does neither as well as an instrument designed specifically for one of the tasks.
That is certainly the case with thermal add-ons.
Taking the Pulsar Core FXQ 38/50 as examples (because they are about the most commonly available)
When used as a spotter, the thermal module has x1 optical magnification so they are significantly lower magnification than a Pulsar Helion XQ38 or XQ50.
To get similar optical magnification to the XQ38/50, an eyepiece adaptor has to be attached to the body of the thermal module.
When used as a scope, the eyepeice adaptor has to be removed and the thermal module than attached to a scope adaptor permanently fitted to the objective end of the scope.
Scope adaptors are not included in the price of the add-on, in the UK they cost £100 each, and you would need one for each rifle you intend to use the add-on with.
Once the add-on is fitted in front of the scope, scope is essentially "looking at" the near eye display on the thermal module and as scope magnification increases the apparent size of the individual pixels on the display increases.
At some point this will be come objectionable and the image quality will degrade.
Pulsar recommend a scope magnification range of x2-x5.
I've looked through one of these at x5 and the image was truly dreadful.
On another practical note, reaching the controls on the thermal module when it's fitted in front of the scope will require you to have arms of similar length to a gorilla.
So, in use as a spotter, you have the eyepiece adaptor fitted and while scanning you see a potential target.
You then have to remove the eyepiece adaptor and put it somewhere safe, fit the thermal module to the front of the scope, use your gorilla length arms to make the necessary adjustments to the settings on the thermal module, and if your potential target is still about, you might have the chance of a shot
Please don't waste your money.
Maybe give consideration to buying a thermal spotter (Helion XQ38F is a safe bet) and a digital rear add-on such as the addonight/WG760

Cheers

Bruce

John Gryphon

A thermal front add-on tries to do 2 things, be a spotter when off the rifle and a thermal scope when on the rifle.
As is often the case when a piece of equipment is designed to do 2 things, it does neither as well as an instrument designed specifically for one of the tasks.
That is certainly the case with thermal add-ons.
Taking the Pulsar Core FXQ 38/50 as examples (because they are about the most commonly available)
When used as a spotter, the thermal module has x1 optical magnification so they are significantly lower magnification than a Pulsar Helion XQ38 or XQ50.
To get similar optical magnification to the XQ38/50, an eyepiece adaptor has to be attached to the body of the thermal module.
When used as a scope, the eyepeice adaptor has to be removed and the thermal module than attached to a scope adaptor permanently fitted to the objective end of the scope.
Scope adaptors are not included in the price of the add-on, in the UK they cost £100 each, and you would need one for each rifle you intend to use the add-on with.
Once the add-on is fitted in front of the scope, scope is essentially "looking at" the near eye display on the thermal module and as scope magnification increases the apparent size of the individual pixels on the display increases.
At some point this will be come objectionable and the image quality will degrade.
Pulsar recommend a scope magnification range of x2-x5.
I've looked through one of these at x5 and the image was truly dreadful.
On another practical note, reaching the controls on the thermal module when it's fitted in front of the scope will require you to have arms of similar length to a gorilla.
So, in use as a spotter, you have the eyepiece adaptor fitted and while scanning you see a potential target.
You then have to remove the eyepiece adaptor and put it somewhere safe, fit the thermal module to the front of the scope, use your gorilla length arms to make the necessary adjustments to the settings on the thermal module, and if your potential target is still about, you might have the chance of a shot
Please don't waste your money.
Maybe give consideration to buying a thermal spotter (Helion XQ38F is a safe bet) and a digital rear add-on such as the addonight/WG760

Cheers

Bruce

Summed up nicely Bruce and thank you,I do see what you say about needing the gorilla arms,I would hate that part of it.

General feedback on front mounts is poor

I did a review on the XD50s as a dedicated unit
QR transforms it to spotter and sight all in one package

Pulsar Apex XD50s test/review

ER I shall have a squiz at that and thank you also.

deerwarden

Hi mate, I bought a Pulsar FXD50 front add-on, it went faulty fairly quickly and was replaced by another one, in reality the unit was advertised as a spotter, then merely add it to your scope objective lens, and your ready to shoot, mine developed a fault and was quickly replaced with another one. You cannot merely add it on to an adaptor that fits on to the front of your scope, you have to calibrate it to the cross-hairs of your scope!!! I also bought a Pulsar XD38s spotter as well so I could spot and shoot more readily. That went back twice and was replaced with another one as well. Two years down the line and both units were obsolete as Pulsar made numerous changes to the newer models, adding a better battery unit rather than just a holder for 4xAA batteries for the XD38 thermal spotter, and making the front clamp for the add-on thermal scope have 4 attachment slots rather than just 2, this stops the side to side wobble and therefor POI changes, between scope and add-on. Pulsar refused to change either unit with the newer models and many of us have had to carry on using a system that was re-invented/updated of this issues many of us had. Front add-ons sound great, in practise a bucket of S##t, I bought a Ward 75-3 from Clive for my SGC 223 and love it, great backup fro Clive should it go wrong. I WILL NEVER BUY ANY PULSAR ITEMS AGAIN, T.J. were merely service agents and would send another unit to you, and ignore your complaints, talking to Pulsar in the States was a waste of time. . deerwarden

Last edited:

John Gryphon

Hi mate, I bought a Pulsar FXD50 front add-on, it went faulty fairly quickly and was replaced by another one, in reality the unit was advertised as a spotter, then merely add it to your scope objective lens, and your ready to shoot, mine developed a fault and was quickly replaced with another one. You cannot merely add it on to an adaptor that fits on to the front of your scope, you have to calibrate it to the cross-hairs of your scope!!! I also bought a Pulsar XD38s spotter as well so I could spot and shoot more readily. That went back twice and was replaced with another one as well. Two years down the line and both units were obsolete as Pulsar made numerous changes to the newer models, adding a better battery unit rather than just a holder for 4xAA batteries for the XD38 thermal spotter, and making the front clamp for the add-on thermal scope have 4 attachment slots rather than just 2, this stops the side to side wobble and therefor POI changes, between scope and add-on. Pulsar refused to change either unit with the newer models and many of us have had to carry on using a system that was re-invented/updated of this issues many of us had. Front add-ons sound great, in practise a bucket of S##t, I bought a Ward 75-3 from Clive for my SGC 223 and love it, great backup fro Clive should it go wrong. I WILL NEVER BUY ANY PULSAR ITEMS AGAIN, T.J. were merely service agents and would send another unit to you, and ignore your complaints, talking to Pulsar in the States was a waste of time. . deerwarden

Aaaargh! that reads like a whole crock of schitt,I hate it when they sell you something and then ignore you.