Third time lucky SD sponsored DSC1

Hi all,
Well, here's the latest installment in my DSC1 sponsorship journey. After the excitement last year of being given one of the SD's brilliant sponsored DSC1 course places, I suffered the disappointment of two cancellations, both due to undersubscription at my chosen venue.
I've been waiting since my second cancellation for BASC to update the website with some courses, fearing at one point that a trip to Scotland might be the only way (not that I don't like Scotland, but it's rather a long way!). Anyway, I received confirmation today that my course has been booked. Late April in Cirencester :cool:
I've yet to decide whether I'll drive down each day or look for somewhere to stay, but no matter, it was the closest and in a nice enough part of the world.
Whilst it's a shame I've had to wait so long, I do feel a little more confident and knowledgeable (ONLY a little, I expect a lot of stalkers have forgotten more than I have learnt) as I've had a chance to get out stalking on a few occasions, mostly through generous site members although I have saved up my pennies and paid for a couple of stalks too. Two dead deer and a few more "armed walks" have at least given some context to a lot of the theory in the course manual.
There's also the exciting possibility thay I may now be able to use my own rifle for the course, as long as my local police are at least averagely quick with applications and don't try it on telling me I need DSC1 first.
So! Time to blow the dust off the manual and get learning again!

artschool

i got my dsc1 late last year and found it to be very worthwhile. i found that it was worth practicing the species id section!

best of luck.

bobg757

Hi all,
Well, here's the latest installment in my DSC1 sponsorship journey. After the excitement last year of being given one of the SD's brilliant sponsored DSC1 course places, I suffered the disappointment of two cancellations, both due to undersubscription at my chosen venue.
I've been waiting since my second cancellation for BASC to update the website with some courses, fearing at one point that a trip to Scotland might be the only way (not that I don't like Scotland, but it's rather a long way!). Anyway, I received confirmation today that my course has been booked. Late April in Cirencester :cool:
I've yet to decide whether I'll drive down each day or look for somewhere to stay, but no matter, it was the closest and in a nice enough part of the world.
Whilst it's a shame I've had to wait so long, I do feel a little more confident and knowledgeable (ONLY a little, I expect a lot of stalkers have forgotten more than I have learnt) as I've had a chance to get out stalking on a few occasions, mostly through generous site members although I have saved up my pennies and paid for a couple of stalks too. Two dead deer and a few more "armed walks" have at least given some context to a lot of the theory in the course manual.
There's also the exciting possibility thay I may now be able to use my own rifle for the course, as long as my local police are at least averagely quick with applications and don't try it on telling me I need DSC1 first.
So! Time to blow the dust off the manual and get learning again!
Hats off to you son:tiphat:

I know things can get a bit demoralising when your expectations of something good are shattered or, in your case cancelled through no fault of your own
At least you have the balls and determination to carry on and hopefully achieve something that should lead to you acquiring your DSC2, thus making your way in the stalking world a little more accessible

I have mixed views on these courses, content, cost etc and whilst I have no wish to discourage you or anyone else from taking up the personal challenge of the DSC qualifications, I would just like to point out that in 1987 I succumbed to pressure and took the NSCC ( National Stalkers Competence Certificate ) cost £6 and that included the badge! even then that bit of paper opened up a lot of doors for me, and still does in the form of DSC

The need to have qualifications has fast become the norm now and, unlike a lot of people I know who have buried their heads up their own arses thinking they`re bullet proof, know everything and, their way is the only way ! you and other younger people are taking up IMHO the correct route and getting what you know quantified on a piece of paper, trust me in the not too distant future when your applying for some lease or license that's what will put you on the pile above the rest, those who have nothing will get nothing!

I am of course talking about State, FC , Crown , and any Government bodies offering sporting leases, not so much the private landowners as yet but this is filtering in slowly but surely

Good luck with your course in April, let us know how you get on

Bob

joed

Good luck, I had a similar problems when I was trying to organise mine, being a teacher I can't have term time Fridays or Mondays off and it seemed all courses ran on one of those days. Amazingly, there were none during my holidays which are plentiful :) bar one which was already full!

Eventually I found a basc course run over two weekends, this meant trips down to the Kent Sussex border on two seperate weekends, however it was all worth it.

I got my Dec1 certificate in the post yesterday. You are already ahead of me in the practical stakes though, I have been on walks but as of yet haven't managed to take a deer.

You aren't a million miles away from me, if you need anything and I can help let me know.

I got my Dec1 certificate in the post yesterday. You are already ahead of me in the practical stakes though, I have been on walks but as of yet haven't managed to take a deer.
I got lucky, took my first two deer on my first and second attempts and have been on a dry spell ever since. That's the nature of stalking I guess! I've been meaning to get another trip down to Barry's ground sorted out for another go.
If I think of anything you might be able to help with I'll give you a shout, thanks.
Good luck finding your first deer!

Thanks Pete, I'm looking forward to it.
tozzybum, I don't know much about rifles, but since I've shot 100% of my deer with Blasers I do find I quite like them! Nice design too, it's just a shame I have what you'd call champagne tastes and a lemonade budget! :lol:

tozzybum

as a half scotsman my dad would be proud .i have a parker hale .243 safari and a bsa cf 2 in .308 none of that new fangled foreign stuff for me :fib:,joking aside id love one but the pennies aint there .to be fair although old they do the job nicely.enjoy your course and as youve already crossed to the dark side:stir:,its too late to save you:lol:

paul o'

good luck just don't over think it enjoy the class room time you will pass no probs , more fall down on the thing they have done most of !! the shooting test ? so practice that as well

looking forward to the i'v past post :thumb:

as a half scotsman my dad would be proud .i have a parker hale .243 safari and a bsa cf 2 in .308 none of that new fangled foreign stuff for me :fib:,joking aside id love one but the pennies aint there .to be fair although old they do the job nicely.enjoy your course and as youve already crossed to the dark side:stir:,its too late to save you:lol:
I've got a deposit on a CF2, good rifles for little money by all accounts which is exactly what I need. Just waiting on the certificate to be issued. It did help to.convince the wife when I told her how cheap it was compared to the Blaser alternative :lol:
Paul, thanks for the advice. All being well I should have the rifle in plenty of time to try and get a good bit of range time in somewhere.

I've had a search but couldn't find anything. What is the set-up for getting your DSC1 sponsered? does being a skint student qualify me for this?

Many thanks

Scooby
Scooby, the courses are funded by the supporters' club subscriptions, basically a certain number will be available each year, I imagine Admin will be advertising as and when it's sorted out for this year's courses. You have to put forward your case for wanting a place (no money, no experience, etc etc) and if you're lucky as I was you get a place on the course. If you check out my blog you'll get an idea.

HME

Hi Simon

With a bit of luck there'll be enough candidates for the course to run this time. As an approved BASC trainer I run their courses as well as my own.

If if you need any information or have any queries prior to the course please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Look forward to seeing you in April.

Regards

HME

P.s the estate rifles will be Blasers, nice new pro success'!

Last edited: