Thoughts?

Lovely beast
🦊🦊
Thank you kindly. I really had second thoughts as to take him or not. He was territorial to the point I was seeing no other bucks in the area though, and I'd actually witnessed him chasing other bucks away, so I decided rightly or wrongly he had to go. Never seen that before.

Another nice trophy for the wall Woodsmoke. :thumb: 3 years old I reckon? He would have been massive in the future Sorry, can't help with the possible medal class as I'm not a trophy hunter! I only shoot them to protect the plantations and it sounds like he was doing that for you. I can send you an excel spread sheet if you want to have a go at measuring it for yourself though. PM me your email address if you want me to send it over.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to tell from the pictures but I don't think it will make silver. Depending on your deer shooting aims for the ground sometimes it's good to leave very territorial bucks. ( Better to have one buck than multiple small ones) but I also find good bucks hold good territories and after a bit of time it settles out with a strong buck taking the territory.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but I don't think it will make silver. Depending on your deer shooting aims for the ground sometimes it's good to leave very territorial bucks. ( Better to have one buck than multiple small ones) but I also find good bucks hold good territories and after a bit of time it settles out with a strong buck taking the territory.
I've been purposely taking the older bucks to try and let some new blood in. There's been no management whatsoever here for decades, so I decided to redress the balance somewhat. Time will tell if it's working.

The nose bones are missing as I clumsily dropped it. I was fizzing at myself :oops:

Reactions: Kjf
I've been purposely taking the older bucks to try and let some new blood in. There's been no management whatsoever here for decades, so I decided to redress the balance somewhat. Time will tell if it's working.

The nose bones are missing as I clumsily dropped it. I was fizzing at myself :oops:
Fizz not sir - you still have a lovely trophy and a great reminder of a beautiful deer - regardless of medal….
🦊🦊

They will naturally mix the gene pool up. I'm not judging ( I'm in no position to do that with the number I've shot 😬)
And as for dropping it easily done I and friends have done that.

Btw get the nasal bones out of the soup. Let all dry and superglue back
Too late now, I'm afraid. It'll be getting a short nose cut prior to mounting, so it's not something I'm overly bothered by. I'm not even sure yet that I'll actually have it measured though.

This was a silver too. It measured about the same weight, but it looks so much heavier. That's what started me wondering about Sunday's buck :-|

Attachments

• 16534216348467125340862815778338.jpg
    16534216348467125340862815778338.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 32
Back