Three Firsts

Beowulf

This weekend I have finally got on to my new land permission and shot my first Muntjac Doe and the police finally gave me my open licence. Three firsts! :D

I've put the picture in the Trophy Room.

I used a 100gr Sako soft nosed bullet in 243, the deer dropped on the spot and the exit wound was only slightly bigger than the entry wound. An excellent round the Sako.

Only one problem, after putting up loads of warning signs and repairing the fences, a lycra clad mounting biking w-nk-r. pedaled straight across the field infront of my highseat scaring off the deer! I hailed him and regailed him in ancient Anglo Saxon 'You f$%"£*^ C"$£ can't you read the signs'! The alien form just ingnored my protestations.

But even with this incident it couldn't spoil what was for me my first time out on my own. I have been lucky to do quite a bit of stalking in the last ten years, but getting out by yourself takes some beating! :D

A question for the Muntjac experts, this doe had no ticks, lice or keds on her and when I carried out the gralloch, I found masses of soft putty like fat inside the cavity. The kidneys were plastered in the stuff and it took me sometime to remove it all. I've never seen this amount of fat in Roe deer. Is this normal for munties? :confused:

Well done Beowulf.

When you get your own bit and get out on it on your own its a great sense of achievement and to get your first unaccompanied beast really tops it.

Your muntie doe sounds like a perfectly healthy animal that has fed well over the summer, as far as the ticks l posed a similar question earlier this year and it may well be that the muntie has a rather tough hide and very dense fur so the buggers find them hard to get on with, also l dint think they are so active now unlike springtime activity, incidentally l have never come across ticks on munties whatever time of year.

Was there any signs of pregnancy in her?

Ticks

I have only shot the one Muntjack (Attleburugh Area) and it had two ticks on it in the groin region. Conversely in my area the roe dont tend to have ticks yet I know that in other areas they can be realy bad for them.

Hey Mr B

I had a first as well.
Went through the back of my land on the mountain bike and didnt see any body stalking deer. Good Hey :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the munty :D

Mark

No wonder it was fat, just look at the size of it' "last bite" :D

Very well done Beowulf, shame about the cyclist not understanding you, must have been the dialect.

Are you heading up this way soon, or have I got that all wrong, I'm pretty sure Malc said he was coming up in October, but it is not unknown for me to get things wrong

John

Well done Beowulf,

l have shot 3 munties since i started stalking and found them more of a challenge to stalk than roe but very enjoyable , they are tough little buggers . That is a big doe again well done. :)

Beowulf

This time of year all the deer will be storing up fat big time. Its easier to remove after 24 hours in the chiller like most things in life.

Mark

Well done Beowulf

Hi Beowulf,
Well done so pleased to hear you’re off and running with all your issues finally sorted out.
I have also had two firsts due to a friends totally out of the blue kind generosity 10 days ago. He allowed me to stalk with him for a cull Fallow Buck and Muntjac. I had a Muntjac Buck on the first evening, the morning after a Fallow Buck followed by the Muntjac Buck that evening,
Having never stalked or shot either it was a great experience and really enjoyed it.
Like most of the comments on the thread the fat build up was noticeable compared to the Roe I normally shoot and no ticks?.
The guy I was with said the young Fallow bucks you will see first and if you wait the big boys follow on later if you’re lucky. This did prove to be the case, a couple of young bucks did cross in front followed by the cull buck which I did take but crossing further down the ride minutes after the shot were the bigger old boys and at the back was a magnificent buck. Not to alarmed but when they winded us they took off with the magnificent buck at the front leading.
For those who are interested I shot all the deer between 50 and 80 yards heart/lung shots with 100gr Federal Sierra Gameking BTSP. In .243 with minimal damage.

Looking forward the meeting you at the end of Nov :) :) :)

P.S. How are you doing with the competiton questions! :rolleyes: :!:

Smithy.

Thanks everyone! I've be on my patch again today, not stalking just making the foot bridges and gates MOUNTAIN BIKE PROOF. :D I can't believe Mark that you own a mountain bike, you seem such a nice bloke!
Moneynut, yes I found a foetus in with the gralloch; she was an old girl though but very healthy looking.
Devilishdave Is that Attleburough in the Midlands?
MarkH thanks for the chiller tip. ;)
JayB I'm up your way with Smithy and Malcolm at the end of November and I'm looking forward to meeting you and having a dram or six! :lol:
Ladystalker Thanks, you are right about 'challenging' if I had stopped to think I would have missed it! :eek:
Smithy Thanks for your support mate, I'm back in work and really enjoying working around the farm too! I'll get the first drink in in November, It will be great to see you and Mrs Smithy.

Thank you all and Rob, I would still be getting ripped off for overly expensive stalking holidays if it wasn't for this site and its members. I've learnt a lot and met and chatted to some really excellent stalkers. If I can be half as good I'll die :D happy!

PS Smithy the quiz is easy! I haven't entered though, I'm hoping that some novice stalker wins it, that would be brilliant. It will be a once in a life time opportunity with some happy memories for the winner. Good luck all 8)

Congratulations

Well done Steve

A great result all round! Here's to more happy hunting...

Cheers,

Rob

I thought you shot a munty not won the Oscars :D :D :D

Ref the mountain bike - follow ancient proverb "know thy enemy"

PS Just shot a three legged fallow buck (fawn) at 10 m from the high seat with the 308, pics to follow if you want B.

Mark

Beowulf said:
Thanks everyone! I've be on my patch again today, not stalking just making the foot bridges and gates MOUNTAIN BIKE PROOF. :D I can't believe Mark that you own a mountain bike, you seem such a nice bloke!

l am led to believe that a strategically placed thin rope or wire does the trick for mountain bike riders ;) :) or a large concealed hole filled with water :D , keep at em mate hopefully they will get the message.

Thanks Rob :D I'm out again tomorrow to see if my luck holds out. I like muntjac you can get at least three in a larder style fridge! Just got to go out and fill it! :D

Mark the Oscars have nothing on shooting your first deer on your own land permission. I'm 'cockahoop'! :lol:

Mark show us your three legged Fallow pics please!!! I like photo's ;) .

Monynut I've been hard at work building styles today. Well I say styles they are more like anti tank traps! Lets see those lycra clad, funny helmet wearing twonks get their bike over those! I own a bike that I ride to work but I just don't get the Self rightious 'holier than thou' mountain biking eco warrior types who think they can ride anywhere they like! And have you seen those saddles, they're all a bunch of sadists! :lol:

Mr B
well done mate I'm away from any stalking at the moment so good to read others are still doing ok.
Are you sure those Sako .243 are 120gr never seen any as heavy as that.
I'm still waiting for my Tika. though being away it would only be gathering dust, it should hopefully be ready upon my return fingers crossed.
I only ordered it end of March.

Dickie

Beowulf said:
Thanks everyone! I've be on my patch again today, not stalking just making the foot bridges and gates MOUNTAIN BIKE PROOF.

Can't be done believe me I've tried it. :( They will either just go over it, around it or through it. Or if its a right of way complain to the County Council Footpath & Byways office. Who'll slap a demand notice on the land owner. :confused:

You just have to learn to accept it.

Beowulf said:
Monynut I've been hard at work building styles today. Well I say styles they are more like anti tank traps! Lets see those lycra clad, funny helmet wearing twonks get their bike over those!

If you put in stiles and they are not up to standard or can be considered hazardous the landowner is libel for any accident or mishap the the public might have. As once you start you have accepted liability.

It always pays to be aware of what can of worms you might just be opening in todays compensation basis legal climate.

First

Hi Steve
Well done on the Munty mate.

Baker said

If you put in stiles and they are not up to standard or can be considered hazardous the landowner is libel for any accident or mishap the the public might have. As once you start you have accepted liability.

It always pays to be aware of what can of worms you might just be opening in todays compensation basis legal climate

Hi Baker, are you a member of the ramblers? :D

WD

Thanks Wayne :lol:

Hi Baker, thanks for the post but I've been fencing and hedgelaying for the last fifteen years. All my work is safe and in keeping with the local area and traditional styles associated with it.

I'm hoping to gradually deter the bikers by putting in their way a series of kissing gates, styles and gates that will be such a hassle for them that they decide to take the public footpath that they should be using!

I had some success with this on a fifteen mile sretch of canal I used to maintain. The problem that time was motorbikes. They would do their best to destroy the gates and I would just repair them again. In the end they got bored! :D

In the situation I am in now, the land is private with no public rights of way. I've put up polite signs informing people of this and further into the woods I have put up signs telling any tresspassers that they are putting themselves in danger due to my deer management operations. Fencing, gates, styles and signage as well as a comprehensive risk assessment. I've done all I can. I have noticed that when I'm on the land people tend to double back the way they came. Why I don't know, I'm such a friendly bloke! :lol:

Hi Dickie Bugger, sorry they are 100grain 243, I've been reading off the wrong box!

Now then Mr B Kissing gates? I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that Health and safety would step in if you start kissing people because they ignore your signs. Could be classed as assault with a friendly weapon, next thing you know you will be offering them a portion of porthole duff :eek: and that will never do.

Be sure to bring some of those 120 grain 243 rounds with you when you come up. I know I am going to regret saying this but, I have never seen one that big.

John

Hi John,
Nah even I've got standards! Lycra clad blokes with funny pointed heads!! :eek:
As for the heat I'm carrying, eh apologises they are 100 grain 243 Sako. I've still got 120 and 140 grain Sako in 6.5x55, I've been reading off the wrong boxes! Duh :oops:
To my knowledge Sako don't do 120grain 243, its just me being stupid! :confused: Sorry folks for any confusion.

So to recap, the Muntjac Doe was shot with a 100 grain 243 and fell on the spot. Still a very good bullet though, 'Does what it says on the tin' as long as you are reading the right label! :oops:

Back