Three phase to normal

tom

Evening , has anybody converted a three phase chiller (Lorry body ) to Normal 240volts ?
I have the chance of one but it's running on three phase electric .
Can it be done ?
If it can be done does it cost much ?
Thanks in advance
tom

simonl

For 3 phase to single phase conversion, you just disconnect 2 wires in the plug!
You want to convert FROM single phase TO 3 phase using an inverter. Quite easily done. Maybe £150. You need to get the wires the right way round or the motors will run backwards.

Be a bit more careful with 3 phase - there's 415V there...

Last edited:

rodp

For 3 phase to single phase conversion, you just disconnect 2 wires in the plug!
You want to convert FROM single phase TO 3 phase using an inverter. Quite easily done. Maybe £150. You need to get the wires the right way round or the motors will run backwards.

Be a bit more careful with 3 phase - there's 415V there...

Think you'll find he wants to run 3 phase equipment from single phase supply.

simonl

Thinking on it a bit - I'd recommend going to a supplier who can talk you through choosing the right inverter - You might pay a few quid more, but they help you determine exactly what you need.

urx

Dont muck about with the old static or rotary inverters
make sure you know if the item you want to run is wired star or delta as that affects which inverter you can use.
one that takes '240' single phase and inverts to '240' three phase is good bit cheaper than one that lifts the voltage to 415 as well as giving you three phases.

tom

Ok , I am totally confused now ?????
I want to get a refrigerated Lorry body that is currently running on three phase electric .
The site we want to put it has not got three phase so I want to know if I can some how convert it to just run of normal mains electric ?
Thanks guys I think it's possible from all the answers and this site is full,of guys with lots of knowledge !!!
When you need it , it's like a reference point ! I think that's why I have been on here 9 years !!!
Cheers
tom

simonl

Easily done for probably under £200, but you need to buy the right thing...

1. Your single phase electricity is referred to as an input. So you need a box that takes a single phase input & has a 3 phase output going to the fridge.
2. There are various flavours of 3 phase motors, some use a neutral, others don't. That's the star vs delta that's being referred to. There's also different voltages sometimes.
3. On the motors there should be a plate - for the fans and the compressor - there may also be a diagram on a control box.
4. Once you've determined the type & size/power you can then determine what inverter to buy
5. Pull together the info & then speak to a supplier, or maybe post pics on here.

Last edited:

tom

No we haven't bought it yet , I can go and get some photos of the unit , but we potentially can covert that was what I needed to confirm .
Thanks
Tom
can anyone recommend a supplier ?

wirehair

We have done it in ours without an inverter, if I remember the engineer said that you have to simulate that it is still in a lorry by using a battery charger etc, this works well but we have found that it burns out the battery charger after a couple of years, sorry don't know much else, hope it helps, cheers Davie.

howa243

I was about to send you a link to a shipping container that I have just purchased to convert to a chillier, but it appears as if the seller (who had six available) has doubled his price.