Tics and dogs

camodog

Good Evening. As I'm sure we are all aware, it's 'tic season' again. I stalk in the Scottish Borders every week/10 days, usually for 2 days at a time. From March onwards removing tics from my dog is a daily chore. They can be in various stages of development, depending on how quickly I find them. I treat my dog regularly with 'Spot-On'/'Frontline'. So far this week I've removed maybe 15-20 tics from him, this after stalking last Fri/Sat. Do you endure the same battle with the tic and your stalking dog? If you actually live up there and own dogs it must almost be a full-time job removing them! Do any of you have your own solution to this menace? or do you battle-on like me accepting it as part of the 'job'?

'Camodog'.

polester

Bravecto it's about £30 for a tablet that lasts 3 mths kills the tick when it starts feeding. I always wonder if they work for humans too

Advantix is supposed to prevent them attaching in first place, rather than killing them once they have. Can't vouch for effectiveness as never been in an area with such a heavy tick burden as you're encountering.

Millerich

As others have said, there are products more advanced than Frontline now. If you want to stay with the same type of thing, Frontect is Merial's most up to date flea and tick spot-on, and is much more effective than ordinary Frontline. I'm a small animal vet/practice director.

banus

dont know if this helps but used to give my dog a garlic tablet every day and only ever found two ticks on him .cant say the same for me though and i do take the garlic tablet.

Buchan

Bravecto my go to, ticks still attach, but die. Advantix did seem to stop them attaching. Frontline isn't great. Your best bet however is to ask your vet what to use and when bearing in mind fleas, ticks, round worm, tapeworm all need different agents

Malxwal

My vet offered me Nexgard from Merial instead of Avantix this time. Avantix was pretty good, but this stuff is getting good write ups, so I'll give it a try.

Last edited:

sauer

Last year my brother started trying Seresto tick collars .
They last 8 months and I bought one for my dog ........seem to be working very well , I've since come across them o n a handful of other dogs and asked the owners what they thought , and every one says they really seem to work well and very noticeable difference to the amount of tick if any now found on the dog .

Shop around can get them for around £35. But lots offering them more expensive

Paul

DJC

Bravecto it's about £30 for a tablet that lasts 3 mths kills the tick when it starts feeding. I always wonder if they work for humans too
I use the same on both dogs tick just can't stay long they get off .told my GP he said for me to try one lol .

NoIDeer

As above, wanted to try bravecto but it gets a bad press in places so have stuck with advantix for now. Dog must be exposed to loads of ticks but haven't found one on him for years when we were using frontline.

Do your homework, but do change from frontline.

collieman

Try a scalibor collar lasts for six months repels ticks from attaching unlike spot on which kills ticks after biting cost about £16.

paul dillon

I use Stronghold spot on on my dog vet said its not for ticks but have not found any on her since I've been using it and its been a few years now Vet prescription only does lots of other little monsters to

DJC

i have use bravecto now for 2 years with very good results vets and insurance company both highly recommend them.

ileso

I regularly rotate between Advocate (bayer) and Vectra3D. These are monthly external applications on the fur and repel the parasites from lodging on. I have never had a single tick on any of my dogs when using these contrary to Frontline for example...
Dont know the price in the UK but they arent cheap... The only time I ever had one of them scratching was when I dint apply for 1.5 months on one of the dogs just to see what would happen as an experiment to see how long they last. He picked up a few ticks and fleas within two weeks of non application. So they last about a month and a week, so they should be applied every month.

I rotate because like with everything we dont want to create superbugs and have parasites develop immunities to the products...

(my guess is it also rubs off in the den where they sleep so that also becomes bug free after a while.)

Last edited:

Ferryman

+1 for Seresto my boy has very short hair but have yet to find a tick on him in the 3 years I have been using Seresto

Wingy

Another one for Advantix I use spot on for 6 months through winter then switch to Advantix from spring.
Got a Weimaraner so nice and easy to check but never found a tick on her in 3 years.
I stalk the borders once a month for a weekend at a time and even bivy out on the moor dog sleeps at the side of me
Wingy

camodog

Thank-you all for your comments, I have something to work on there. Appears a change of 'medicine' is called for, not sure which, but shall do a little 'digging' and a chat with my vet!
Thanks again,

'Camodog'.

NigelM

My vet offered me Nexgard from Merial instead of Avantix this time. Avantix was pretty good, but this stuff is getting good write ups, so I'll give it a try.
My vet has recommended Nexguard and I changed to it last month. Can't vouch for how good it is yet but as you say, the write ups look positive.

NigelM

Nexguard is fine Nigel, same group of compounds as Bravecto
Thanks Buchan.

Dogs went for their annuals last week. Took your advice and went for the Lepto only. Vet seemed somewhat surprised at how well informed I was! Thanks for your help on that one.