Tikka 590 ejecting problems

Steve123

Bought one circa 6 months ago from a local dealer and it was not ejecting the rounds properly ,it would drop them in the mag well 1 in 3. So although I had not long had it and did not want to not have the use of it , I returned it to the dealer who took two months , blaming the fact it was an older model etc .
When I got it back it was not much if any better so back it went. It is still with the dealer who tells me he has to get bits made because it is an older model and 7 weeks in he still has it.
I phoned GMK and they have the ejector bits in stock for next day delivery.
I have had enough of waiting , I confronted the dealer who was annoyed I had gone behind his back to GMK but admitted he does not have an account with them.
I am thinking of rejecting it as not fit for purpose as he has had it for 4 of the last 6 months, if I do , does he have to refund me in full as well as the mod and mount bought at the same time for it.
They will not be any use to me without the rifle.
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Get a refund or an immediate fix.

Selling the customer a dud rifle isn't acceptable.

Contact your licensing department and let them know the rifle may have to be replaced.

There's a chamfer on the end of the barrel inside the chamber, that the case protrudes from so that the extractor claw can pick the case up. Get him to check that it's clean, that could be causing the problem.

Thanks for the advice, but his gunsmith should know what to look for. I also think my relationship with the owner may be too far gone to repair.

Thanks for the advice, but his gunsmith should know what to look for. I also think my relationship with the owner may be too far gone to repair.
If that's the case just ask for a refund, there are plenty more gun shops around who'll welcome your custom.

Will they be liable to refund the mount and mod bought with it?
I wouldn't think so.

To be perfectly honest Steve I think you may be on dodgy ground all round given the age of the rifle and the time that you have had it (6 months) even considering the covid restrictions. I think the best outcome is if the RFD comes to a reasonable settlement with you and maintains some future goodwill.

I can’t helping thinking this should be a simple fix on behalf of the RFD. I have a 590 and T3. To my untrained eye the bolts (ejector, plunger etc) look very similar and parts seem readily available, so am at a loss to understand the RFDs comments of having to get bits made as it is an older model.

590s are real keepers and I much prefer the overall finish and smoother action on the 590 to that of the T3, so if I were in the OPs position I would be reluctant to pass it up unless it really did turn out to be a real “lemon”

I am reluctant to give it up , hence waiting so long . The dealer told me it was ready last week and he would pick it up from the gunsmith over the weekend. I rang Monday, he said he was on the other line and would ring back. He didn’t ring back , I sent him a text on Tuesday telling him if I could not have it that day I would reject it as not fit for purpose.
He responded the next day asking for email address which I supplied. But still no response.

@Steve123 , could it just be the case that the plunger ejector is not compressing fully due to brass/dirt being lodged underneath?

Quite literally a 5 minute fix if this is the case, the ejector will usually be held in the bolt with a roll pin, if you punch this out, clean everything and re-assemble.

You don't say what calibre it is? - I have a 222 M595 that I have owned from new & it often 'drops' fired cases into the action when ejecting them because a) the brass I am using is 20 odd years old & the edge of the case rims have been worn so don't hold on the extractor claw properly, and b) the same extractor claw is used for both 308 family cartridges & 222 family cartridges meaning that the extractor claw has a radius that doesn't provide full contact with the case rim on the smaller cartridges.

I have 4 other M595s in '308' size chamberings & none of those have any problems.

Personally I'd get the rifle back & get it sorted by someone who knows what they're doing (Norman Clark for example). The older Tikkas are great guns & it would be a shame to write it off, plus you'd have the grief of doing a one for one on your fac & be left with the bits that you've been asking about getting a refund for.

It is .17 REM , the dealer is telling me the rifle is mended but is too busy to collect it and won’t tell me who it is so I can collect it.

It is .17 REM , the dealer is telling me the rifle is mended but is too busy to collect it and won’t tell me who it is so I can collect it.
With an attitude like that he obviously accepts you as a valued customer who will continue to give him your custom.

:-| Now lets think if I would continue to give him my business. :-|

If it was me then I'd be sending the dealer written notice that, unless returned to me before, I will give them 2 weeks to have the repaired rifle ready for my collection (state the date) & if it is not returned to me on or before that date I will take the matter to the courts to seek the original purchase price of the rifle, plus any bits bought specifically for it, and interest on that cost for the number of days that you have not had the benefit of your possession. Firm but polite.

I’ve had my M590 .243 nearly 25years
Fired a few through it.
Had it serviced once only because the gunsmith did it free of charge..
Never missed a beat
I’d be getting it back and taking it to a decent gunsmith to sort..
Just can’t think why yours hasn’t done it
Cowboy comes to mind

Back