Tikka M695 .270

highland stalker

Does anyone know what the twist rate will be in the above rifle? It's currently 22.5" barrel length but the threads and crown are a little tatty so I'm looking to get it shortened a little and re-cut. Does anyone know what the shortest barrel length is that I will get away with without affecting accuracy?

Thanks.

monarman

Exactly the set up I had.... 20 inch barrel and jet z.
Its currently getting rebarrelled in 7x57... lightweight sporter barrel and again at 20 inches.
I had the 270 shortened as soon as I bought it new in 2008 and shot mainly 110 vmax factory Norma. .... which it loved and killed all species of deer very well with.

highland stalker

Exactly the set up I had.... 20 inch barrel and jet z.
Its currently getting rebarrelled in 7x57... lightweight sporter barrel and again at 20 inches.
I had the 270 shortened as soon as I bought it new in 2008 and shot mainly 110 vmax factory Norma. .... which it loved and killed all species of deer very well with.
I've been thinking about the Norma 110 vmax for a while. Did you have any issues with runners or such like? I'm currently using federal 130 soft points which have been pretty reliable but I'll maybe move onto the Norma's once the federals are done.

Southern

I have been surprised at how little velocity loss there is in my 20-inch Steyr Mannlicher Stutzen .270 Winchester ( but all my Steyrs shoot "fast"). My oldest .270 Win in 24 inches, then I bought a 22-inch Remington ADL Deluxe and saw not much loss there. A 20-inch 7x57 will work well. I have two 7mm-08s with 20-inch barrels: a Winchester Model 70 Compact and a BLR. Several friends have built full-stock 20-inch carbines in 7x57 on Mauser actions, and they are wonderful deer rifles.