Tikka recoil

kamyonsofor

Went the club today with the intention of zeroing my .17hmr (100yds) but was more interested in the guy next to me with his Tikka .223 and he loads his own ammo, the Tikka was unmoderated but what drew me to watch apart from the noise the recoil I'm glad I did not get a Tikka every shot physically moved him with a nice kick (he was badged up as a Nra Instructor) I have recently got a Cz527 .223 glad I did.

Greener Jim

It shouldn't really kick that much at all, even without the moderator. That been said, the CZ527 Synthetic is lighter than a T3 Lite so would actually recoil more objectively, but weights do vary across models a little. Felt recoil is a different thing entirely.
Have you fired your 223 yet?

kennyc

was he tied down to a weight to stop the wind blowing him away? :rofl: .223 isn't normally considered a shoulder breaker

Southern

Are you kidding? A .223?

My first Tikka T3 was a Lite SS in .30-06. I think I have a lot less powerful and heavier rifles with more recoil. It is not noticeable, even with 180-gr bullet at 2,800 fps. They make the T3 in .270 WSM, .300 WSM, .338 Win Magnum, which I am sure is a hard recoil.

kamyonsofor

First Greener Jim yes used the Cz love it but did have the problem of the bolt handle dropping out when checking it over the first day of getting it but that's all sorted needed some lube and my 20 stone mate, second Kenny C we were nice and sheltered from the wind the sun was lovely but the undercover positions you could have hung some Black spots up on hooks, but we pensioners are 'ard and crusty ( well the women are)in the sun it was 7deg.One guy turned up in T shirt and shorts they were taking bets he was a "Postie", time for my Horlicks .

Mungo

I do like the T3, a lot. But I'll agree that it can be a touch 'bouncy' when unmoderated, even with smaller calibres. Not so much recoil that you actually notice, but a pronounced muzzle flip.

Having said that, I'm often quite surprised by how much even light calibres seem to affect a shooter when you're the onlooker, especially if the shooter is stood up.

Muir

Recoil from a Tikka 223?? Er....... Really?? I don't even find the recoil of my t3 Lite 308 objectionable.~Muir

Essexsussex

Kamyonsofor, I think Mungo has a point about it looking worse to onlookers. So for comparison, this is me shooting my 9.3x57 (moderated) off a backpack so no hand on the forend. Did this guy at the range seem to have as much recoil as I'm experiencing or less?
IMG_8916_zpsw16zaeov.mp4 Video by GreenerJim | Photobucket
im with this explanation. Depending which angle you view a movement the worse it looks. If you ever watch a cricket ball from the side or a tennis player from side on the ball looks impossibly fast. Face it and whilst it still will seem too fast for me (!) it doesn't look like nearly the same speed. The same will be the case with how the push of a recoil looks from the side and feels from behind the butt.

kamyonsofor

Greener Jim nice clip another 1/2" for'ard and you'd be like Harold,i think they call it "scope eye" or up here "kin urts".As for Muir's poor quality synthetic stock it is not just CZ, I worked for a Aston Martin supplier of composite panels to Aston and they were adamant our front bumper(fender) was out of alignment to the car and the batch of bumpers was cancelled , when the car was aligned by laser the car was 15-20mm out nearside so don't buy a '92/93 Aston.

ejg

Went the club today with the intention of zeroing my .17hmr (100yds) but was more interested in the guy next to me with his Tikka .223 and he loads his own ammo, the Tikka was unmoderated but what drew me to watch apart from the noise the recoil I'm glad I did not get a Tikka every shot physically moved him with a nice kick (he was badged up as a Nra Instructor) I have recently got a Cz527 .223 glad I did.
What groups did he achieve? What groups do you achieve with the CZ.
I bet the CZ will also move when fired, you might just not see yourself.
Every rifle will kick according to the recoil of the cartridge and the rifle weight. What shape the recoil takes depends also where the COG is and where the stock contacts the shoulder. Depending on how the shooter can manage/handle or adjust to each rifles behaviour will show in his grouping.
edi

activeviii

he might have been firing 90gn rounds and up at max powder charge. you might be firing 50gn on a mid charge. yes there is recoil with no brake or mod, enough to make it look like harsh recoil but, it isnt. one persons perception of recoil is different to another persons.