Tikka T3 1-8 twist or 1-12 twist

hi People

I am going buy myself a T3 .223 that I will be using for Fox Geese and Target, I have been told by a good friend who is well into all this that I need to get a T3 with a 24" barrel with a 1-8 twist, (he has a 24" 1-8)

So after spending a morning on the phone to all the RFD in Hampshire and some in Wiltshire I only found 1 new 20" Lite Stainless with a 1-8 twist,(£898) all the others are 1-12 and there are not many second hand ones out there in either twist.

So is it worth waiting for a 1-8 that I have read cope with a heavier round better or is the 1-8 only going to make a difference with long rang target shooting.

I have a 1-8" and one of the new 1-10" stainless guns. I'd get the 1-10 unless you plan to shoot heavy bullets exclusively.~Muir

stick with the 1-12 ive had a 1-8 twist .223 and unless your going to be spending a lot of time on the range shooting at longer ranges then i wouldnt bother

1 in 12" if your looking to shoot bullets from 40 to 55 grains and 1 in 8" for heavier bullets was the advice I found when looking for a .223

1 in 8 all the way you can still shoot 55s up to 80s for range work.if you want to shoot lighter then a 204 would be a better tool.just my opinion
atb mike

1 in 8 all the way you can still shoot 55s up to 80s for range work.if you want to shoot lighter then a 204 would be a better tool.just my opinion
atb mike

Funny that for the kind of work we put a .223 to here (coyotes, prairiedogs, other vermin) a 55 grain bullet is on the heavy side. Only really used if you're planning on shooting deer. I shoot 40 and 53 grain bullets from all of mine.~Muir

As I said, I seldom shoot the heavier bullets (55 grain and up) so the 1-8" has seen little field time since the 1-10" arrived. The 1-10 handles pretty much everything well. Not so much with the 1-8. Of course, the 1-8 are common -I see more 1-8 than 1-10 here, and we never see a 1-12 on the rack- but were I to do it again I'd wait on the 10" twist. I shot .223 side by side against the 20 Tactical and the 20 Practical which are ballistic twins to the 204. I was envious of the flat trajectories but not so much of the limited bullet selection they had, and to truly flatten it out they needed to be shooting 32 grain BT's. I was shooting 53 grain BTHP from my custom .223 and was making kills at the same distances they were although with more elevation. Having shot the 1-8" I would advise you to think carefully on what and where you will be shooting. If your bullet weights are going to dip below 55 grain on a regular basis, I would consider the slower twist. JMHO.~Muir

They are new for this year. Ask your dealer to track one down. Frankly, I'm glad they did come out with a 1-10" twist. It gives far more latitude in bullet weight. ~Muir

I made a fue calls today and they are out there, but order only, think I will keep my eyes open for a 24" 1 in 8. Second hand,

Some of the american manufacturers do 9" twist I have a savage 223 shoots 73 gr bergers like a dream. Also used 60 or 65 gr hornady softpoints again brilliant. You might find the 1in 9 is the best compromise here.

I am after a Tikka T3 1/8 twist 20 or 23.75 inch barrel. I want to get the varmint stainless but does not look good as they are to order only and none in stock anywhere, Pain in the behind !

I have had stainless synthetic T3 since 2004 and have always assumed it was a 1 in 8 twist.I have reduced it to 20.5" and matched a ASE Utra S5 and it has always shot 55 grns within an inch, which has been ideal for fox, it's main role. I've looked up the paperwork from when I bought it but cannot find it states the twist rate anywhere. Two points really, if it's a 1:8 I agree it shoots 55's brilliantly, can I check the twist rate?
atb
Keith

Tikka prints the twist rate on the barrel after the calibre. So if yours say '.223 Rem 12' then it's 1:12. Or '.223 Rem 8' means 1:8.

Triffid

Back