tikka t3 .222 load

andrew_shooter53

tikka t3 .222 load. Anyone looking for a good load for this rifle, Vihtavuori n133 21.50grn was best, 21.60 also good v-max 50gn heads at 100yds sub 1/2 grouping off bean bag on the bonnet of my truck, hope this is of some help to someone​

Attachments

• 20220111_112056[1].jpg
    20220111_112056[1].jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220111_112225[1].jpg
    20220111_112225[1].jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 21

Farmer Geddon

Nice shooting, but, & I don't want to appear like a smug self righteous git, & I am a relative new bod to reloading. Anyone looking for a new load should absolutely use data from bullet or powder manual, & work their way up from minimum safe load, they might well arrive at a similar verdict to your own good self, but thanks for showing, no offence meant. Cheers.

andrew_shooter53

Nice shooting, but, & I don't want to appear like a smug self righteous git, & I am a relative new bod to reloading. Anyone looking for a new load should absolutely use data from bullet or powder manual, & work their way up from minimum safe load, they might well arrive at a similar verdict to your own good self, but thanks for showing, no offence meant. Cheers.
No offence taken, Just trying to save someone some bullets, And also show how accurate this powder was, And this was from the vihtavouri load manual for N133 powder happy shooting

Claret_Dabbler

21 grains of Reloder 7 and any 50 grain BT type has always worked in any 222 I’ve tried. Tweak the OAL to tighten the group.

Muir

No offence taken, Just trying to save someone some bullets, And also show how accurate this powder was, And this was from the vihtavouri load manual for N133 powder happy shooting

But there is no guarantee this load will work in another's rifle -tho being a triple deuce it can't be too far off. I have found that if the powder ignites in a .222 case, and there is a decent bullet on top of it when it does, the bullets will all go to roughly the same place. I've never loaded a Vhit powder but I shot bench rest with a 222. RL7 and 4198 -and even 4895- are favorites. ~Muir

Foxyboy43

Hard to get a poor group with God’s own calibre! The triple deuce just lurves 50gns Vmax driven at fast or moderate speeds.
🦊🦊

Farmer Geddon

Are the Vmax 50 gr Flat base or Boat tail, Hornady says they are available in both, but I don't know if they are available over here? Trying to get a flat base BT bullet in 50 gr.

Cottis

Are the Vmax 50 gr Flat base or Boat tail, Hornady says they are available in both, but I don't know if they are available over here? Trying to get a flat base BT bullet in 50 gr.
I shoot around 1000 .222rem rounds a year in anger. What twist is your barrel? It is likely to be 1 in 14 but it still might well stabilise the Nosler Varmegeddon 53 grain flat based bullets. They are awesome. Very slippy for a small .224 bullet, incredibly accurate, hugely destructive and best of all, pretty cheap.

If you rifle will not stabilise a bullet over 50 grains, then Nosler do a 50grain tipped flat based Varmegeddon as well. It has a slightly lower BC being shorter but in the .222, BC is borderline meaningless really. It runs out of ooomph around 300yds or so. I would say boat tail bullets are pointless in the .222 apart from being marginally easier to seat but that is no real reason to use them. Flat based will probably be more accurate out the sort of ranges you will shoot the deuce.

I really do encourage everyone to try Varmegeddons as they have been such a good bullet for me. Certainly noticeably better than Vmax and Vmax were not bad by any stretch.

If you want say 10 x 53grain bullets to try in terms of making sure they stabilise and go through the target straight, I can send you a handful? You can buy boxes of 250 for around £65. I have plenty but it has been a while since I bought any so they might have gone up. They will certainly be cheaper than Nosler BT's

andrew_shooter53

Those on the pictures are bt . The best group i ever shot was 5 at 100yds nearly through the same hole off grass/bipod with STEYR MANNLICHER CLASSIC .222 with Hodgdon BL-2 v_max 50grn

andrew_shooter53

I shoot around 1000 .222rem rounds a year in anger. What twist is your barrel? It is likely to be 1 in 14 but it still might well stabilise the Nosler Varmegeddon 53 grain flat based bullets. They are awesome. Very slippy for a small .224 bullet, incredibly accurate, hugely destructive and best of all, pretty cheap.

If you rifle will not stabilise a bullet over 50 grains, then Nosler do a 50grain tipped flat based Varmegeddon as well. It has a slightly lower BC being shorter but in the .222, BC is borderline meaningless really. It runs out of ooomph around 300yds or so. I would say boat tail bullets are pointless in the .222 apart from being marginally easier to seat but that is no real reason to use them. Flat based will probably be more accurate out the sort of ranges you will shoot the deuce.

I really do encourage everyone to try Varmegeddons as they have been such a good bullet for me. Certainly noticeably better than Vmax and Vmax were not bad by any stretch.

If you want say 10 x 53grain bullets to try in terms of making sure they stabilise and go through the target straight, I can send you a handful? You can buy boxes of 250 for around £65. I have plenty but it has been a while since I bought any so they might have gone up. They will certainly be cheaper than Nosler BT's
hi where are you buying them i cant seem to find them anywhere

Farmer Geddon

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, but its those flat based 50 gr that my rifle loves. @175 yds, boat tails & 40 gr nowhere near as good. target.jpg

A Guy Out West

Ive tried all suppliers i know as well as Brownells, i have lots of contacts in USA and everything is scares at the moment due to chinese taking lead and copper, so stock up on what you can get while you can get it

I think it has very little to do with the Chinese. It is being caused by panic buyers in the US, and a reduced work force do to Covid.

Bavarianbrit

I have just managed to grab the last 4 100 packs of .224 55 gr Varmageddons from Brownells Germany this evening.
118 Euros = £98.50 or £24.62 per 100 posted. That's me sorted for the SHTF. :)

tacklerat

I have a 222 by Zastava. Barrelled action with an American black walnut stock. Only has a 20inch barrel and shoots 40gn Varmageddons into little groups. It also like 50gn Vmax bullets. IT has handled every wild dog in our valley more than adequately. Foxes don't have much of a chance either.

wildfowler.250

Might add to this if that’s okay? How do folk find 55 grain in the .222? Bought a box of 55 grain prohunters for roe,(stupidly before firing factory ammo). The sako factory 50 grain shot much more convincingly out of the box than the 55. But should it be that hard to tweak a load for the heavier bullets to work?

Standard sako 75 so 1:14? I think

Foxyboy43

55gns Prohunters are great for roe. Over a moderate load of N120 they drop them dead in their tracks.
🦊🦊