Tikka T3 mounts, non Optilock ?

Malxwal

What scope mounts are people finding to use on a T3 that aren't Optilock ?
My preference is one piece Optilocks, what else is good?

Last edited:

nun_hunter

Currently using QR mounts on a picatinny rail but before that I used the Leupold bases and windage adjust rings and they were perfect, pretty cheap too. I also happen to have a set of bases and 1" rings for sale too ;)

monarman

Sportsmatch!!! They have twice the clamping surface of optilocks..... being alloy they grip on the dovetail better...... they are substantially lighter and massively cheaper!!!!
Everyone says 'must have steel rings'.... why? After all.... your scope isn't steel. If you drop your rifle to the point that sportsmatch mounts give in.... I assure you.... your scope will be also be of rather little use!
I've switched to sportsmatch on both my 22 cz and my tikka 7x57.... so will be selling a set of 30mm optilocks very soon.
Another alternative is a picatinny rail.... again you don't have to spend a fortune on rings! Any rings on a picatinny rail won't move.... they are designed that way... hence the slots.

Big Sweep

Hi,
I have some 30mm mounts that were on my T3. They had a 56mm objective scope in them. not sure of the make but seem quite sturdy. Going cheap.

ejg

Recon the most solid mount you will find to fit the T3X dovetail would be Spuhr one piece. You can also choose MOA cant. Only T3X as the ejection window is cut differently.
I prefer to use Pica rails on all T3's.
edi

Malxwal

Reason I ask is owner of rifle has experienced the base to ring securing screw of two piece Optilocks coming loose, and is now looking to change, and would prefer not to go down the picatinny route.

scotch_egg

If he wants something a little classier than sportsmatch tier one, formerly third eye tactical, do produce a nice dovetail mount. They don't seem to have them on the website but had them at last years shooting show. The early dovetail mount was a pinch type clamp and looked terrible. The new one is a side clamp.

monarman

Optilocks coming loose....

That problem has happened more commonly than people care to admit.... when I took my rifle to the rifle smith for re barrelling we stripped it down and when I removed the optI locks I had on the first thing he did was check to see if there was any looseness. He said they do come loose and it's something people don't check....

monarman

Tier one maybe more classy...and very pricey... but like the optilocks only half half the clamping surface of the sportsmatch.

jthyttin

If you can convince the owner to be happy, just assemble the 2-piece Optilock aligned in vise using permanent thread locker to torque spec (find torque by thread size if not provided).

I use Warne QD, but like Optilock they may cause problems with eye relief on some scopes since there's only one place for recoil lug in T3 rail.

Stay away from non-QD Warne if you want to ever remove the scope, since they come loose from the scope when removing from rail (same screws hold both).

Sako308

I ditched optilock rings on my Sako and haven't regretted it. Use Leupold Sako low ring mounts and they are lighter and significantly lower that the extra-low optilocks I was using.

McKenzie

Can I ask how much lower they are than the Optilocks? I also find them very high for a 6x42.

I ditched optilock rings on my Sako and haven't regretted it. Use Leupold Sako low ring mounts and they are lighter and significantly lower that the extra-low optilocks I was using.

Sako308

Can I ask how much lower they are than the Optilocks? I also find them very high for a 6x42.
Sako Optilock extra low are 28.5mm (bottom of dovetail to mid point of the ring), the Leupolds are 22mm at the same measurement. Picture below shows the rings with a 3-9x36 scope. Eye lines up perfectly.

IMG_1343.jpg

takbok

I don't like optilocks.

DNZ is my favourite - reasonably priced and as simple as they get.

Edinburgh Rifles

Reason I ask is owner of rifle has experienced the base to ring securing screw of two piece Optilocks coming loose, and is now looking to change, and would prefer not to go down the picatinny route.

I replace all the fixing screws on Optiloks with high tensile screws
The base to ring and the clamping screws are the first to get chewed up and not perform

set up properly Optilocks work very well and the best part is a non marking ring

its a scope mount not a engine mount,
clamp force does not need to be measured in tonnes