Tikka T3 owners.... blued v stainless

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

C h r i s

The issues with Stainless Tikka's rusting are well documented, both on here and elsewhere - and I've experienced this also (including Sakos), I don’t want to resurrect the 'crappy stainless' debate.

One rifle I've never owned is a blued Tikka T3.

I've read a few horror stories on 'other forums' about blued T3's rusting after brief exposure to rain/damp, with orange external metalwork and seemingly terminal bore damage, but I take these comments with a pinch of salt as its never clear as to how the rifle was treated immediately after its soaking.

However, can any Tikka T3 owners with blued rifles comment on whether they have noticed issues with corrosion that seem to be a lot worse than any other blued rifle?

Reason being is that I've got the option of either finishes on a new T3x, so some background info is always handy...

Many thanks.

nun_hunter

I have two Tac A1s (at home and one at work) the one at home has a single tiny rust spot on the barrel where a drop of blood got on it and I didn't realise and was there for a while in the cabinet. It's lift a small mark, not very obvious but I know it's there. My work one has been out in pouring rain for hours at a time and doesn't have a single mark on it. It's liberally covered in oil after a wipe down and I make sure oil gets into all the small gaps to keep the water out of those.

From my experience if you look after it then no worse than any other blued rifle and seems better than my stainless Howa that has numerous small rust marks and hasn't even been out in the rain!

ColinBr

My silver (they aint stainless) Tikka has some orange to the outside of it, where as my blued Tikka is spotless. Take what you will of that

Jon P

I have both stainless and a blued tikka T3 lite. Never get any major issues with rust on the blued one, just wipe it over with a oily rag as any other gun. I have had some rust on the stainless if put away wet. Just have to look after them all a bit in wet weather.

caberslash

The issues with Stainless Tikka's rusting are well documented, both on here and elsewhere - and I've experienced this also (including Sakos), I don’t want to resurrect the 'crappy stainless' debate.

One rifle I've never owned is a blued Tikka T3.

I've read a few horror stories on 'other forums' about blued T3's rusting after brief exposure to rain/damp, with orange external metalwork and seemingly terminal bore damage, but I take these comments with a pinch of salt as its never clear as to how the rifle was treated immediately after its soaking.

However, can any Tikka T3 owners with blued rifles comment on whether they have noticed issues with corrosion that seem to be a lot worse than any other blued rifle?

Reason being is that I've got the option of either finishes on a new T3x, so some background info is always handy...

Many thanks.

Would not waste money on a new T3x, buy an older T3 and get it cerakoted.

paultap

I have a blued Tikka T3, I keep all the blued surfaces well oiled, there is not a bit of rust on it anywhere. I was thinking of getting it cerakoted but so far there has been no need. If I were to use it in frequent wet, damp or particularly harsh conditions, I would probably get it cerakoted for peace of mind though.

Farmer_J

No problem with my blued t3x used in all weathers. A wipe over with an oily cloth after and no signs of rust. Can’t say the same for my bros tikka stainless barrel

Muir

I have both stainless and a blued tikka T3 lite. Never get any major issues with rust on the blued one, just wipe it over with a oily rag as any other gun. I have had some rust on the stainless if put away wet. Just have to look after them all a bit in wet weather.
This.~Muir