Tikka T3 Super Varmint?

carper99

Hi guys, looking at buying a Tikka T3 varmint/super varmint in .243. Have been reading around and seeing (mostly) positive feedback on these rifles. Basically, I am just wondering if there is much point in going for the super over the regular varmint for the extra money. Also, having had a look at a couple of synthetic tikka's, and not being hugely impressed by the furniture, I was wondering what after market stocks are available/recommended.

I was originally looking at a Howa 1500 varmint in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, but am not sold on the action/quality (bolt feels a bit sloppy). Do you guys think the Tikka is worth the extra cash?

paul o'

tryed a howa its cheap and feels the same .
tikka t3v all day if this was the only choice of two ,but hope your not gonner walk for miles as it is heavyman get a hardy g4 mod, my pals loves a 58vmax mine was in 308 and was a tack driver with 130 hp's i fitted a Robertson Composites G/HUNTER to both my tikkas in in 25-06 and the other was the 308 it made a good shooting rifle just a bit better to shot and bit longer in the stock.

forgot to say i took off the tikka rail and fitted the sako TRG INTEGRAL 3 RING mounts to mine just cos i could as i used a long scope body and surported it better

Last edited:
tikka t3 all the time have shot one for nearly 10yrs smooth bolt running into action l also have synthetic stock be out in all weathers shooting also good accurate rifle with the right mount and scope very rarly miss much if a do it my fault good rifle mines a 22/250.

my t3 fat boy in a robertson tac stock.oh and bye the way tikkas are awesome you will not go wrong and there actions are very good to build on.
That looks absolutely awesome mate... How much did that setup set you back?
s**t loads but i liked it soo much i pimped a cz hmr to look like it.

the tikka spec is
tikka action
robertson stock
ai mag conversion
tac bolt
border straight profile barrel
barnard trigger
invisable thread cap
dura/ceracoated
all done by dave at valkyrie,it shoots very very well and i would never part with it .hands down the best rifle i have ever owned.i have owned standard tikka rifles and would not buy any other now.standard or pimped there all good

carper99

Well it looks brilliant, one of the nicest custom jobs I've seen. To be honest, I'm really looking to just replace the somewhat placticy standard stock, although I could live with it in the short term. I'm thinking its prob best value to go with the standard varmint blued, which sells for around £850, the extra £200 for the SV buys an enlarged bolt knob, weaver rail and adjustable cheek piece. Could get custom parts for cheaper.

thanks pal its just good to know you can pimp a tikka as much as a remmy.if i'm honest the tactical bolt transforms the action feel and a rail and cheek piece thats not a bad price.
atb mike

carper99

True, and it does save the bother of changing the bits. The SV also comes in stainless as standard. How do you rate the AI mag system? might be worth a look.

True, and it does save the bother of changing the bits. The SV also comes in stainless as standard. How do you rate the AI mag system? might be worth a look.
well mine is a converted 308 mag converted to run 223 so i seat those 75 amax out long and there is no way i could seat to long for the mag.it also looks the mutts,what's not to like.

Tikka

I have a PSE Composites synthetic stock on my T3 varmint 6.5x55, it's a light and very (VERY) rigid stock, streets ahead of the standard T3 varmint Synth stock.

Overall the T3 varmint is around 1lb heavier than the T3 Hunter, I have had both and personally don't notice, or mind, the difference in weight.

You're welcome to have a look at mine before you make your decision if you want.

carper99

I have a PSE Composites synthetic stock on my T3 varmint 6.5x55, it's a light and very (VERY) rigid stock, streets ahead of the standard T3 varmint Synth stock.

Overall the T3 varmint is around 1lb heavier than the T3 Hunter, I have had both and personally don't notice, or mind, the difference in weight.

You're welcome to have a look at mine before you make your decision if you want.
Thanks for the offer mate, would be good to take a look. will send you a PM.

JayBM

I've got a T3 SV in .243. I bought it as a stalking and foxing rifle. Certainly can't complain about the accuracy and the weaver rail as standard is great. I'd also not be with out the adjustable cheek piece. But, as 2 people have already mentioned, it's very heavy. Not really an issue for the foxing (as it's mostly from a truck) but for stalking it does become a bit of a pain. If I had my time again I'd probably look at two separate rifles; a light weight stalking rifle in a slightly larger calibre and a varmint type rifle in something like .204.

carper99

My intended use is just about the same as yours Jay, bit of stalking and quite a lot of long range foxing. I also plan to use it for longer range targets so weight/stability is somewhat essential. Who knows, in time I may get a lightweight dedicated stalking rifle.