tikka varmint versus blazer

rookstorm

I have a tikka super varmint stainless synthetic 22.250 which i was pondering selling against a blazer r8 success .The tikka shoots well, 1/2 moa and better depending on my shooting. I use it for foxes and roe . Any tips or does and don'ts

You won't get a stainless barrel from Blaser, nor are you likely to better your 1/2 MOA shooting performance with a Blaser, or many other rifles come to that, so the question is what is it you don't like about the Tikka that is prompting the Blaser itch?

I have lots of reasons why I like the R8, but without knowing what you are looking for in a rifle that is not in a Tikka, it is a bit difficult to know where to start.

Bit too much of an open question I think.

Alan

I have a tikka super varmint stainless synthetic 22.250 which i was pondering selling against a blazer r8 success .The tikka shoots well, 1/2 moa and better depending on my shooting. I use it for foxes and roe . Any tips or does and don'ts
Selling a half MOA rifle is the acme of foolishness.~Muir

My .223 Super Varmint is by far the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle I have ever owned. It is so effortlessly perfect with whatever I feed it that I will never, ever sell it. If for whatever reason I can no longer justify keeping it (blindness, death?) then it will be gifted to someone who deserves it.

The mere notion of you trading your Super Varmint for a Blaser suggests you need to book an appointment with your doctor.

I don't currently own a rifle that'll shoot 1/2 MOA , if I did , I wouldn't trade it for something else . Blasers are nice rifles , but 1/2 MOA rifles are nicer IMHO .

AB

Buy the straight pull, switch barrel thing if you want one, but keep the Tikka or you'll regret selling it and you won't get a trade in value equal to its performance or your enjoyment. Should we assume its to be in the same calibre, so you will need good reason for another 22.250 and that would be? Possibly one for high seats and the range and one for stalking vermin? We all get the itch for something else or different, from time to time. I have to be saved from myself, often.....

I was in the exact same position(Same rifle, Same calibre) three years ago, I ended up giving the Tikka to a friend who really needed it(coincidentally I still get to shoot it) and went R8 for multiple calibres.

Why? well the weight of the super varmint was my main reason but the reality was because I could.

You pay your money and you make your choice, I suspect you have a "new toy" itch for which I have been there done that, at the end of the day theirs a lot of kit out there now and most of it is adequately capable.

Over the last few years I must admit, I spent money on fad's & fashions within this industry, the reality is I learnt that at the end of the day when you find something your comfortable with its best just to stick to it, learn how to use it and enjoy it.

Okay, sorry, I will rephrase that...I wasn't offered a stainless barrel when I ordered my Blaser 3 years ago! (and that is in .308). I would have gone for it.

I wonder when they introduced that...

Alan

p.s. Just looked it up and as far as I can see it is not Stainless Steel. But an Ilaflon coating...so neither actually stainless steel nor nickel plated as per some descriptions.

...even the description below that clip is wrong...listen to the Blaser man's description and look at the muzzle thread when he takes the moderator off.

Last edited:
Couple of years back it’s called lightning, not many about and cost about £1,000 more

As the Blaser guy said in the clip above it comes with fluting and a kick stop which together would account for most of the £1,000. Though interestingly Swillingtons one only looked a few hundred more than the non-coated version they list.

Alan

Back