Time to let go.

CDSG Shooting Sports

RED-DOT

Reluctantly i took my pal to the vet last night and had him put to sleep and it was the right thing to do as he went downhill fast but now i am so overcome with guilt that i could maybe have done more to prevent his pain.
Have not slept since and i am up now and taking him to a special place to bury him and it is not going to be easy. I knew this day would come all those years ago but i will raise a glass or two tonight to my best pal "Angus".
R.I.P.

Moonraker68

Very sorry to hear that, Red. I am likely to be facing a similar situation shortly; my old lab has severe arthritis in one elbow, and is getting to the stage where she won't even been able to come out for a short walk soon. She's given me some great times, and will be sorely missed. All the best to you.

Last edited:

Gaz

Had the same experience a short time ago with my 14 year old Lab,so I know how your feeling RD. I have several gun dogs but "Cassie" was what you'd call my first choice best pall giving me years of happy memories which you will have with "Angus". I chose to have her cremated and as I write she is still by my side as I have her ashes. Your memories will eventually ease your loss. ATB Gaz

CWMMAN3738

So sad when the end comes for our best & most loyal friends have been in this position many times over the years and it never gets any easier but think of the good times you had together they are always with you & then so is she/he.

Eyefor

I have never had to do this (yet) but I dread the day.
The vast majority of humans I wouldn't shed a tear over. Animals are another thing. Idiot that I am I even cried again this week at "Born Free" :doh:.

I wish you every strength and hope that remembering the good times will ease the burden.

​RIP Angus.

Jagged77

I've just been through exactly the same thing last week so you have my every sympathy. Took me a few days to get over the ups and downs, I went through all the guilt and second guessing and to be honest it was horrible. You know in your heart as a caring dog owner when the best time is and you know deep down you made the right call. Think of it as one last gift you can grant after their years of loyalty. Get through it you will though, give him a good send off and remember the good times.

downwind

R.I.P Angus. I know how you're feeling, been there and felt the same way as you do. Take comfort in the fact that Angus had a good life with you and you eased him through his pain at the end.

Bertie Dastard

I can understand perfectly what you mean.
At around 23.00 last night, My 15 yr old Border collie x Retriever My best friend and companion was unable to stand up and was in great distress.
I met the vet at the surgery and the decision was made.
I have known for six months she was on her last legs!
WHY DO I FEEL SO GUILTY??

As I live alone ,The house is a very empty place this morning.

RIP Cassie.

Uncle Buck

I was in the same position Red, just over a month ago, a wee terrier that belonged to my
late wife. So know how you feel, but you must take comfort in the fact that Angus had a
good life with you till the end as already said.

Chin up Red.

PS. coincidentally, Lara passed on the wife's birthday.

arron

RED DOT , went through the same exact situation myself recently , you did what was right for your dogs sake , no point in delaying the inevitable , that would in my opinion be cruel , time will prove it correct when you anilise it with a more clear mind , sorry for you , regards arron.

paul o'

chocked for you feller sad day not nice anytime to say goodby to an old mate. :tiphat: in repected.
paul o'

Pedro

It's one of life's saddest things that our dogs are, compared to us, only with us a short time. I'm sure that he gave you great friendship, loyalty and service. Something all dog owners have to go through is their loss, and I find it doesn't get easier because it's happened before.
I would comfort you with two thoughts: The pleasure and companionship he gave you will, in a while far outweigh the pain of his loss and the fact that you obviously thought long and hard about his end and the fact that you still question yourself does you great credit and shows you made the right decision.

varmint223

Sorry for your loss........I know how bad you feel

If it should be that I grow weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep.
Then you must do what must be done,
for this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so.
The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
and please stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see,
the kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve it must be you
who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years.
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

Run free and young again at
Rainbow Bridge.

You’ll always be with us

jamross65

Been there so many times and appreciate your pain. Like you I questioned my decision to let them go on perhaps a wee bit too long. Then on reflection I remembered up until that day the decision was made their tails still wagged and their joy in going out even for short walks was still there. Sounds ridiculous perhaps but when you are so close to your dogs they tell you in their own way when enough is enough. No need for you to feel guilty if the dog still had a quality to his life until the end. Suffering is a relative thing. Too much is not acceptable, a little with old age and stiff joints is simply part of getting old...

craigievarkiller

Echo Jamross65's sentiments.
Very difficult time and never an easy decision.
You did your best for the old fella.
The new pup will help take your mind off the old dog and ease the pain a little.
ATB
CVK

RED-DOT

Had an hour with him at our special spot tonight and he is lying with the creatures of the forest where he loved to be but im such a Woose and am still crying... thanks guys for your lovely words but this will take time.. What a friggin softy i am.

Rake Aboot

I imagine every single person on this site has done the same.
I know I have, multiple times, and I have the same to do again very soon, and it guts me every time.

Woose, yes, very much so, but I`m glad about that to be honest

Fursty Ferret

Not soft...just human
Its part and parcel of keeping working dogs but its always so very sad to lose one of mans best friends. And best friends they are.
Rest assured you did the right thing