Titanium moderators prices

Deerman

Quicksilver have published the prices of their titanium and aluminium moderators through their website at www.qsmsilencers.co.uk

Firm orders are now being taken for delivery in early March 2009. If you are interested and want a bespoke service, including thread and choice finish, get in touch to discuss your requirements.

For your convenience, moderators can be collected in person in London or sent to your nearest RFD.

It is strongly recommended that the tread be machined during the manufacturing process. All calibre suitable threads offered.

Not aimed at the budget market, that a big wad of cash.

I would be interested to hear from people who have used them before shelling out that much.

£445 PLUS VAT?? They need to be good at that price. Anyone got any experience of them out there?

Built my own titanium moderator, I imported the Ti from states (grade 5) I paid import duty, VAT, and cutting charge because I only ordered a small amount:- material costs…………………….£50.00 inclusive. Machined it on a Myford Super 7 lathe. TIG welding was no harder than stainless steel.

Food for thought.

Tahr

For that price they would just have to make no more noise than a wisper for me to shell out that much.

Are they $445 in the US does anyone know?

Checked their American website for their prices and saw that their .223 model retails for $895 and the .30 cal for $1,050 so for once it appears that though expensive for what we are used to - not including BT steel cans - it is a lot cheaper here than in the US. Has anybody seen one yet?

So what is the law regarding making your own moderator. Do you have to be a rfd :confused:

MJR said:
So what is the law regarding making your own moderator. Do you have to be a rfd :confused:

I work part time for a RFD (RFD Servant). You could make one for an air rifle. Build your own centre fire moderator with out being a RFD and you could be seeing the inside off a cell. :eek:

Personally I think the sooner moderators come off ticket the better, as then you would cut out one of the middlemen making a 25% mark up or more for signing a moddy on your ticket.

Best rgds

Tahr

Titanium moddy

Hey chaps,

Seen the picture of the UK prototype of this new titanium moddy people have been talking about on their website. It may be expensive, but at about half of the weight and size of the cans we know it may be worth checking. It is mounted on a Tikka of some sort and looks very neat. If you check their American website you will be able to see a small picture of a stripped down can. It appears that they use some sort of K baffle system.

Titanium moddy

Hey chaps,

Seen the picture of the UK prototype of this new titanium moddy people have been talking about on their website. It may be expensive, but at about half of the weight and size of the cans we know it may be worth checking. It is mounted on a Tikka of some sort and looks very neat. If you check their American website you will be able to see a small picture of a stripped down can. It appears that they use some sort of K baffle system.

Re: Titanium moddy

notquiteoutofrange said:
Hey chaps,

I use a A-Tec this weighs 500gms, and is rated for up to 30-06 cal’ it also uses “K” baffles, this design of baffle has been around for years. The A-Tec is an over barrel design, so although it weighs a little more than the titanium one the extra weight is further back so feels less when you hold the rifle.

The new titanium one is no where near ½ that weight of the A-tec, but the A-tec is nearly half the price and is rated at 30-06 not 308. :eek:

Best rgds

Tahr

Thar,

why is it that the moderator is good for 30-06 and not .308? I was under the impression that the factor that determined the proofing if it was required was the exit hole of the moderator. I know that some companies have theirs advertised up to a calibre like .25, then the next one up to .30.

Is there something that I am missing here? :confused:

The Mole said:
£445 PLUS VAT?? They need to be good at that price. Anyone got any experience of them out there?

That is a horrifying amount to spend on a mod, I think I'll have to stick with my T8 much as would like something small & light.

jingzy said:
Thar,

why is it that the moderator is good for 30-06 and not .308?
Is there something that I am missing here? :confused:

Hi Jingzy

Bore diameter is only part of the equation; you have to consider the amount of powder you are burning as this will reflect the size of the moderator or strength of the outer walls. The 30-06 case has about 10gns of powder more than a 308 one, therefore all other things being equal it will need a slightly larger moddy. Although I am sure in most cases a 308 moderator would work with a 30-06 safely it could be at the expense of some sound attenuation, and if it did let go I bet the manufacture would not warranty it. :cry:

To use an example you wouldn’t want to put a moddy designed for a 7-08 on a 7mm Allen (338 Lapua magnum case necked down) as although the 7mm bullet would exit safely the whole moderator might be not far behind your bullet. :confused: :lol: :lol:

notquiteoutofrange
Have you any conection with the company/owner that makes/imports these new moderators?

Best rgds

Tahr

Back