Toothless!

devon deer stalker

I thought some of you might be interested/not seen this before.
Went out yesterday afternoon, just as the sun went down she appeared from the woodland, I waited to see if others were in tow, but she was on her own which raised my suspicions all wasn't well, she stopped broadside at 100 yards, heart shot with the .243, she ran around 50 yards and fell down.
A bit of leg thrashing and she was done.
I knew straight away she was old, I felt down her back and she was thin, I inspected her teeth and it quickly became apparent why she was thin.
At least it was an easy extraction, although the field was steep I got the truck right down to pick her up, the fields are drying out quickly now, thank god!
Cheers
Richard
Hinds teeth.jpg

When I used to stalk at a Northampton estate, the Keeper that used to look after a particular wood was a great bloke called David.
He had a fallow doe in there that had a white collar fitting at approximately 1 year old, just as he was retiring approximately Ons week to go he was called out to a doe that was in trouble.
He got to the scene to find a doe thrashing about in some scrub unable to stand he dispatched his old friend to end her suffering 21 years after he had helped collar her.

I thought some of you might be interested/not seen this before.
Went out yesterday afternoon, just as the sun went down she appeared from the woodland, I waited to see if others were in tow, but she was on her own which raised my suspicions all wasn't well, she stopped broadside at 100 yards, heart shot with the .243, she ran around 50 yards and fell down.
A bit of leg thrashing and she was done.
I knew straight away she was old, I felt down her back and she was thin, I inspected her teeth and it quickly became apparent why she was thin.
At least it was an easy extraction, although the field was steep I got the truck right down to pick her up, the fields are drying out quickly now, thank god!
Cheers
Richard
View attachment 153445
It may be just the way you are holding the head but it looks like she is also undershot. My observation is that deer can be fine with almost no teeth as long as they have access to reasonable length forage and are not having to compete with hundreds of others. Not saying that's a good thing though.

Back