Top sausage recipe!!

Monkey Spanker

For several years now I have been developing this recipe and have guarded it closely as I make hundreds of them and have never had a complaint - just the opposite! I don't know why I have kept it to myself though really and feel it is now perfected enough to share! I have a quality red/mulled wine wine too which comes out at Chrismas which I will post once I can get round to typing it out!
Enjoy!
Sausage Recipe
Base Mix:

VENISON - 10kg
COOKING BACON - 6kg
SUGAR - 3 hpd tbsp
SAGE - 2 hpd tbsp
BLACK PEPPER - 1 lvl tbsp
GARLIC GRANULES - 1 lvl tbsp
NUTMEG - 1 lvl tbsp
RUSK - 1kg (Plus equivalent Volume of water, normally 2 ltr)
(Salt is not required if using bacon instead of pure pork fat.)
For CHILLI - 1 hpd tspn chilli powder per 2.5kg OF MIX.

Method:

Chop all meat & bacon into smallish pieces that will fit into the mincer and chill.
Add remaining herbs and spices to dry rusk and mix thoroughly. Add water, lightly mix and chill.
Add rusk and spices to meat chunks and mix roughly. (The mincer does the rest!)
Put mix through a coarse mincer disc (I use 8mm) and mix again by hand if required. Chill mix prior to stuffing skins. A small amount of cold water can be added and mixture kneaded prior to stuffing if it is too stiff but this shouldn’t be necessary.
Stuff mixture into 32/34 mm natural Hog casings which should be rehydrated and flushed through thoroughly.
This should produce about 20kg (40lb) of sausages.
The base mix alone makes a lovely plain sausage with a hint of garlic/herb.
The cooking bacon you can get from supermarket in vacuum packs. Look for the orange ones as they normally have a bit of smoked in which adds to the final flavour too! Keep the label for traceability purposes if intending to sell and don't forget to declare the tax! :rolleyes:

bwana

sausage recipe

Sorry to be pedantic but what kind of sugar (brown, white,demearra etc)
and what kind of rusk (pinhead,coarse etc) I want to get it right! Thanks

Monkey Spanker

Re: sausage recipe

bwana said:
Sorry to be pedantic but what kind of sugar (brown, white,demearra etc)
and what kind of rusk (pinhead,coarse etc) I want to get it right! Thanks
I use normal white sugar in my chilli and plain ones and Brown/Demerara in my Red wime ones.
As for rusk, I use 'pinhead' from scobiesdirect.
Must get around to posting the Red wine recipe too! ;)

Trapper

Monkey Spanker
Thanks for the sausage recipe , I allways STRUGGLE WITH THE CRUMB MIX BIT ,and the Fat content , I just now stick to small batches , 2kg meat mix+ 1kg pork belly, 140gr crumbmix ,150gr water. Seasoning to taste . Just knocking up a Leek and onion combo and a Mexican chilli combo for the forthcomming BBQ SEASON!! ;)
happy as Larry .
regards Trapper

Trapper

Well the Sausage event went well .
Just had loads of fun making them ,
Freyasfirstdip016.jpg

Freyasfirstdip010.jpg

Freyasfirstdip017.jpg

Freyasfirstdip012.jpg

QUALITY TIME with my granddaughter. quality food , and she thinks this is really KOOL.
TRAPPER

Trapper

Gore Tex element 2 , cracking boots , my others are VSO 2 HIGHLEG ,
For dinner dates I HAR MOSTLY BEEN WEARING , LE CHAMEAU WELLIES.
Any way the sausages tasted fine .
Trapper

Monkey Spanker

Top Job Trapper! :D
Which recipe did you use? They look great - and you can obviously 'link' them too. My kids love to get involved in the sausage making too as well as eating them. Sausages are great for people who are unsure about eating venison as they just look like sausages and have no visible conection to 'Bambi'!
I'm set to do a 50lb batch of plain tomorrow, as well as a 50lb batch of burgers!
The BBQ season will soon be upon us!!! :lol:

Adamant

I've just made a half batch using your recipe, Mick (your quantities are pretty industrial!) - they are excellent and the bacon gives a much better consistency than the belly pork I have used previously, particularly when using gamey Roe venison.

Cheers,

Adam.

Monkey Spanker

Cheers Adam! :)
I've tweaked the amounts over the last couple of batches and now use 12kg Venison and only 4kg of bacon. That puts the fat content about as low as you can realistically go I think! Much better for the more 'portly' stalker and less bacon to buy too! You might need to add a bit of salt though to make up for the lack of it from the extra bacon.
MS :)

Adamant

I've got another 10kg of Roe mince after the Scotland trip, so I'll have a crack at another batch with the lower ratios - I also used organic herbs, spices and oatmeal (1st visit to the local hippy lentil-vending emporium) and a mate's 'experimental' efforts with his own rare-breed bacon, so I've ended up with a 100% organic sausage too.

Adam.

re'M'ington

Well the Sausage event went well .
Just had loads of fun making them ,
Freyasfirstdip016.jpg

Freyasfirstdip010.jpg

Freyasfirstdip017.jpg

Freyasfirstdip012.jpg

QUALITY TIME with my granddaughter. quality food , and she thinks this is really KOOL.
TRAPPER

Trapper has anyone told you that you are a dead ringer for this man.......a well known TV Chef(Brian Turner)

image_brianTurner.jpg

Last edited: