towing vehicle

Woodmister

like many others, im not planning on going abroad this year, so going to buy a touring caravan.

it weighs 1470kg

what would your towing vehicle of choice be?

ideally something for wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, good on fuel and the option to have 4x4

(i currently have a transit van which will do the job but looking at other options)

cheers :)

LuckyEddie

Depends on how you want to have access to the dogs!
If you’re not bothered then go with something like the Isuzu.
If you want to keep an eye on them then you’re better of with a Disco or an estate of sorts.

We prefer to keep an eye on our dog to see how she’s doing during the journeys hence we have a Disco 2

Ed

Overlay

land cruiser - you can then help other 4x4 caravan owners when they breakdown - give something back, be of benefit to the land rover movement :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Alantoo

Volvo XC70 ? They’re just about a 4x4, thé automatic version seems very popular with caravan types.

I have a petrol XC70...well it is actually a V70 XC...same shape but they changed the naming convention when they brought out the XC90.

It is great for towing, I have a 2.6 tonne 10x5 four wheel trailer and have done a lot of miles with gert lumps of metalwork on the back...very stable.

In fact it feels more firmly on the road than the old Discovery 300tdi which I bought specifically for towing the little digger around. The digger and trailer were all up at around 2300kg and the XC70 is only rated at 1800-ish but it still felt more relaxed than the Disco even when I was illegally towing the digger.

ideally something for wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, good on fuel and the option to have 4x4

The XC70 or XC90 would be good for passengers and dogs. The XC70 seats fold down to give you a very practical strong flat carpet clad plywood load bed which is quite capable of carrying a diesel generator, diamond drill rig and assorted implements of destruction when going on site.

I am thinking of changing over to an XC90 when the Disco and current Volvo die...some of the versions have just enough legal towing capacity for the digger.

Alan

sauer

Kia Sorento awd we had 2.2 195bhp
For same weight of caravan

if go onto caravan club web site they have a page for selecting make mode of car & caravan to see if it’s compatible & legal

paul

How much do you want to spend and what do you want it to do besides tow a reasonably light load?

A lot of the suggestions on here are doubtless very capable tow vehicles, but overkill for a 1500kg caravan and not exactly economy machines...

Woodmister

How much do you want to spend and what do you want it to do besides tow a reasonably light load?

A lot of the suggestions on here are doubtless very capable tow vehicles, but overkill for a 1500kg caravan and not exactly economy machines...
Circa 30k and don’t need to tow much else apart from the van but like anything it’s always good to have something that can do more if needed!

did have a look at the ssangyong musso they can pull a bit too!

tozzybum

Kia sportage, 2.crdi, tows 2t all day ,awd ,lockable diff ,traction control.
Off road no dramas, kept up with Isuzu,rangers,Disco, on our shoot beating in mud ,slime and snow.