Toyota hilux front shocker spring snapped

sikasako

One of the front shock absorber springs snapped this week on my 67 plate Toyota Hilux.
Quite surprised that it has failed as the 3 1/2 year old Hilux not been used to carry any heavy loads and has only done 33k miles.
Arnold Clark have quoted £380 for a replacement shock absorber spring to be fitted. As the spring appears to be dealer only part, looks as though I'll have to stump up.

Anyone else had similar issues with shock absorber springs snapping on their Hilux's ?

BP75

Given the circumstances and low mileage of the truck wasn’t there any chat of a replacement under warranty.
My 16 plate 2.4 Hilux needed a new glow plug and got a set done under warranty with Western Toyota.

Malxwal

Common on the Mk7 Hilux, not sure about newer ones.
Was usually just a wee bit off the bottom coil. Mine went right as I was about to pop the bonnet to change the timing belt at 90k, a 14 plate.

nick.308

I had one of my coils snap the last inch off last year on my 2012 hilux invincible at 65k miles.
I bought pre assembled pedders pair of coils/shocks off roughtrax made in australia uprated @ £400 and fitted them myself. Im not a mechanic and it took me from about 5pm until midnight to finish them both. It was a bit of a fag to do but made me feel like a man! just needed decent spanners,sockets wd40 and a ball joint splitter.

nick.308

the preassembled coils/shocks makes it quicker, easier and takes out the dangerous bit. Apparently compressing coils is dangerous stuff. I remember when I put them in I had to completeley dismantle the front steering assembly (dont know the technical term) and stretch the wishbone as low as possible to get the shock absorber in place.

Malxwal

You'll not change a coil spring on its own without a bench mounted coil over tool, at least not without serious grief and risk to personal wellbeing.
Buying pre assembled coil/strut assemblies is expensive but makes the whole experience much easier.

Malxwal

the preassembled coils/shocks makes it quicker, easier and takes out the dangerous bit. Apparently compressing coils is dangerous stuff. I remember when I put them in I had to completeley dismantle the front steering assembly (dont know the technical term) and stretch the wishbone as low as possible to get the shock absorber in place.
Did you not just have to disconnect anti roll bars ?

sikasako

Given the circumstances and low mileage of the truck wasn’t there any chat of a replacement under warranty.
My 16 plate 2.4 Hilux needed a new glow plug and got a set done under warranty with Western Toyota.
Was advised by Arnold Clark that shocker Spring was not covered under warranty.

sikasako

I had one of my coils snap the last inch off last year on my 2012 hilux invincible at 65k miles.
I bought pre assembled pedders pair of coils/shocks off roughtrax made in australia uprated @ £400 and fitted them myself. Im not a mechanic and it took me from about 5pm until midnight to finish them both. It was a bit of a fag to do but made me feel like a man! just needed decent spanners,sockets wd40 and a ball joint splitter.
Contacted Roughtrax but they don't have any aftermarket springs available for the Mk8 GUN125R Hilux., which is a shame as I'd have gone with the pre-assembled Peddler units if they were available. Springs are Dealer only part at this point in time. Local motor factor couldn't source any for me.

sikasako

Totally agreed. Have used Spring compressors in the past, to swap out front suspension units but value my fingers too much nowadays to repeat that dangerous process.

Last edited:

Sika98k

Contacted Roughtrax but they don't have any aftermarket springs available for the Mk8 GUN125R Hilux., which is a shame as I'd have gone with the pre-assembled Peddler units if they were available. Springs are Dealer only part at this point in time. Local motor factor couldn't source any for me.
That’s a pity Roughtrax are out of stock. It is a seriously good upgrade to the suspension.

nick.308

Did you not just have to disconnect anti roll bars ?
I wish! I had to undo loads of stuff. You need to get everything really loose to get the shock in so it meant undoing practically everything. Just a case of undoing everything to get the shocks out. I also had to remove the battery to access a long bolt (about 30cm long) from inside the bonnet. they are all pretty seized so nothing undid easily. usually spray wd40 on everything a few hours before I want to undo it.

sikasako

That’s a pity Roughtrax are out of stock. It is a seriously good upgrade to the suspension.
Because the Mk 8 Hilux is a relatively new model, Roughtrax have not yet had spare front suspension spring units to offer, as aftermarket spares take a while to develop.

sikasako

Certainly worth checking your paperwork or with Toyota UK. Wouldn't trust Arnold Shark.
Waiting to hear back from Toyota UK.
Have had bad experiences with A Clark, both with my previous Hilux and also with my wife's Volkswagen.
Tend to use my own local garage now, based on this.

Rory

Because the Mk 8 Hilux is a relatively new model, Roughtrax have not yet had spare front suspension spring units to offer, as aftermarket spares take a while to develop.
Nearly 5 years old now... but yes, there is a lack of aftermarket parts this time around it seems.

nick.308

it seems like coils seem to be breaking more frequently these days. Is it poorer quality steel ? or thinner steel?