Vacancy: Trainee keeper opportunity

rem284

I envisionage lots of dog poop to be shovelled,the right way of course.
Yes, you have to start at the bottom! First few weeks I done was to throw logs into a tractor trailer all day. The full trailer was taken away and replaced by an empty one, always nicely timed to keep me busy. I think it was a test to see if I could stand it.

On a serious note, I think it will be a great opportunity.

Tulloch

I applied for a trainee position a couple of times and told I was over qualified which I was gutted about . Would have happily went back to the beginning,

But because I have a MA in Highland Gamekeeping and all my DSC's as well quad , efaws , and all the other courses as well as degrees in Scottish History psychology and anthropology, and a degree in hospitality management they told me there was no way the would get the funding to employ me , I was gutted.

jubnut

I applied for a trainee position a couple of times and told I was over qualified which I was gutted about . Would have happily went back to the beginning,

But because I have a MA in Highland Gamekeeping and all my DSC's as well quad , efaws , and all the other courses as well as degrees in Scottish History psychology and anthropology, and a degree in hospitality management they told me there was no way the would get the funding to employ me , I was gutted.
I can understand being gutted and this is not meant as criticism in any way but...

Do you not feel that the point of a trainee post is to give someone just starting out an opportunity to gain experience, rather than someone who is well into a career and wants a change?

And for the employer as a long term investment isn't a young person who will give potentially many more years of service a better bet?

bogtrotter

Yes, you have to start at the bottom! First few weeks I done was to throw logs into a tractor trailer all day. The full trailer was taken away and replaced by an empty one, always nicely timed to keep me busy. I think it was a test to see if I could stand it.

On a serious note, I think it will be a great opportunity.
I started at the bottom and 54 years later I am still there. :old:
Seriously a good start for a youngster and.in the right area for someone who wants a career in Grouse.

Tulloch

I can understand being gutted and this is not meant as criticism in any way but...

Do you not feel that the point of a trainee post is to give someone just starting out an opportunity to gain experience, rather than someone who is well into a career and wants a change?

And for the employer as a long term investment isn't a young person who will give potentially many more years of service a better bet?
Here is the problem with Trainee position job unfortunately ,

Very few get kept on after the government funding stops, then you will find lot of trainees applying for keepering jobs that require 5 years minimum experience but they only have trained for two years, also applying for jobs that have already been promised to others.

The system does not benefit the trainee unfortunately.

What I do say about the trainee placements though is that if you are with a very good estate you will be taught properly on a lot of aspects so it is depends what you wanna get from it.

But being 40 years of age should not stop me from wanting to learn new ways. I am always learning even in my current job.

One advice I always give potential trainee keepers is that

1. It is not for everyone , depression and mental health are real bad problems within the community. long periods of isolation and the in-ability to talk about it causes this.

2. financially it can be very difficult and unless you have a good support from your family it is almost impossible to live (This happened to me)

3. Unfortunately in some places (more places than there should be) the working conditions are terrible and you feel you are treated like a slave. Fortunately this is few and far between now.

All aspect you have to think about .

Redneck

I guess your the Three Degrees

jimbo1984

Here is the problem with Trainee position job unfortunately ,

Very few get kept on after the government funding stops, then you will find lot of trainees applying for keepering jobs that require 5 years minimum experience but they only have trained for two years, also applying for jobs that have already been promised to others.

The system does not benefit the trainee unfortunately.

What I do say about the trainee placements though is that if you are with a very good estate you will be taught properly on a lot of aspects so it is depends what you wanna get from it.

But being 40 years of age should not stop me from wanting to learn new ways. I am always learning even in my current job.

One advice I always give potential trainee keepers is that

1. It is not for everyone , depression and mental health are real bad problems within the community. long periods of isolation and the in-ability to talk about it causes this.

2. financially it can be very difficult and unless you have a good support from your family it is almost impossible to live (This happened to me)

3. Unfortunately in some places (more places than there should be) the working conditions are terrible and you feel you are treated like a slave. Fortunately this is few and far between now.

All aspect you have to think about .
You’d be surprised .... there’s still a LOT of keepers treated like slaves

mauser 91

Where do you study for a degree In keeping the only similar courses I could find was the royal agricultural college.

Tulloch

Where do you study for a degree In keeping the only similar courses I could find was the royal agricultural college.
MA is not a degree, it was the original qualification before the HNC course came into effect, however I do have a degree in Scottish History,, 1 degree in Hospitality management and a degree in psychology and anthropology , First one was in UHI , the second was in Caledonian and the third was in Glasgow Uni .

Kalahari

MA is not a degree, it was the original qualification before the HNC course came into effect, however I do have a degree in Scottish History,, 1 degree in Hospitality management and a degree in psychology and anthropology , First one was in UHI , the second was in Caledonian and the third was in Glasgow Uni .
I'm not sure if you aren't over quaified to be on this site! :)

David.

Tulloch

I'm not sure if you aren't over quaified to be on this site! :)

David.
Dude qualifications are soooo over rated , only one I have ever used is the Hospitality Management, the rest is just knowledge and a waste of time. 5 years fulltime study and the rest part time study was very much time wasted.