Training advice

grumpy gary

Hi all,
Next weekend will see the arrival of my new 9 week old gwp.
I’ll be honest that I’m no trainer, but I had certain success with my current gwp (13years old now,still young at heart, he’s just a old lad now) with training and working him on a pheasant shoot. He wasn’t the finished product, but was great for pointing,flushing and retrieving birds. He’ll turn, stop and recall and walk to heel.
I was hoping to use my new pup for accompanying me stalking.
Do I use a clicker instead of a whistle for training so that I can use it whilst out if needed (once old enough) as to not alert deer like a whistle would.
Do I introduce roe legs to him straight away to get used to the scent?.
I can start with all the basics straight away,
Just unsure as to when I am to introduce what to him for the purpose of him becoming a deer dog.
Any help or advice in his training/adventure would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Gary

hello. I’m glad you’ve just written this post Gary. I’m in a similar position. I’ve recently lost my loyal old lab who was perfect for me , coming rough shooting around the farm and on our farm duck shoot, she was a great all rounder, beating and picking up. I’ve just got my next lab pup, currently 10 weeks. I’m hoping to train her to come deer stalking with me too, as well as the normal shooting role . I’d love to hear any advice on where and when to start with my next challenge! Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
Next weekend will see the arrival of my new 9 week old gwp.
I’ll be honest that I’m no trainer, but I had certain success with my current gwp (13years old now,still young at heart, he’s just a old lad now) with training and working him on a pheasant shoot. He wasn’t the finished product, but was great for pointing,flushing and retrieving birds. He’ll turn, stop and recall and walk to heel.
I was hoping to use my new pup for accompanying me stalking.
Do I use a clicker instead of a whistle for training so that I can use it whilst out if needed (once old enough) as to not alert deer like a whistle would.
Do I introduce roe legs to him straight away to get used to the scent?.
I can start with all the basics straight away,
Just unsure as to when I am to introduce what to him for the purpose of him becoming a deer dog.
Any help or advice in his training/adventure would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Gary
Just nail the basics: sit, heel and down. The deer work will come naturally.

Basics with attention to detail. Think of how you want the finished dog to be and figure out a program of progressive training. Walking at heel, sit, stay with ideal circumstances at first but then gradually increase the level of distraction/stimulus that the dog will be possibly exposed to but still remain under control

HPR’s are notoriously slow to mature, don’t rush things, make sure it’s all enjoyable for the pup, make him think it’s a game and make it so he can’t fail. If things do go wrong don’t be scared to go back a step. In terms of beginning trail training you can start with a simple trail of the pluck dragged across the garden to his favourite toy and when he gets there make a big fuss, this can slowly be increased in length to establish fundamentals of following a trail.

Basics , work on basics everything else comes after . I struggled most with the GWP following blood trails on the downwind side having been less used to it head up. There is a mixed bunch of lines now and temperaments vary so train the dog you have not the one in the book .

...........................temperaments vary so train the dog you have not the one in the book .........................................................

Very wise words above from Bb

As Bowland Blades has stated. Also have a word with Ian at Anvilstone Gundogs beter now than when things havent gone to plan !

You don't train a dog to swim you encourage it to enter water.

Like wise scent trailing, a bit of liver on a string pulled across the lawn.

Is that training or helping develop the dogs natural instincts?

I have had GWPs for around 45 years (with varying degrees of success!)
My advice would be to concentrate on sit (stay) and recall, both can be taught using the pup's instinct to survive.

Back