Training collars??

Cutch

Looking to get a training collar for a small dog. Hes pretty well trained for a house dog but he has a "friend" across the street now and hes off like a shot across the street anytime the kids open the door now. Going across to texas this month so thought it would be a good time to get a collar and save myself some cash. Don't want any high dollar stuff as it will just be wasted but I don't want something that has only the range of the front garden! Any ideas guys?

.25-06

Bless, but that would be illegal now so it's a none starter for this country. Get to grips with the basic training. If its as willful as my pointer it will be a bit of a mountain to climb eventually (ish)

Cutch

As far as I know it only illegal in England. Scotland and Wales are ok? I may be wrong though....

.25-06

I stand corrected cutch seems SNP failed to deliver she had quite an outburst about it at the time.
Earlier this year (2018) Environment Secretary Roseanna Cunningham announced the devices would be outlawed following pressure from animal rights groups. Animal rights groups and charities like the Dogs’ Trust argued that the collars, which have been used to train difficult dogs, were cruel and caused unnecessary suffering. At the time, Cunningham said she had taken steps to “effectively and promptly ban their use in Scotland”.

Read more at: Electric shock dog collars still not prohibited despite SNP vow

As far as I know it only illegal in England. Scotland and Wales are ok? I may be wrong though....

Cutch

No worries mate. I was getting worried I was going to fall foul of the law there....

I remember that being reported now too....

James0586

Been illegal in Wales before it was banned in England. I’d buy a baby gate it’s so much easier

D.A.Z.

You can buy a collar for the dog and a wire you put under ground across driveway,if he crosses it he gets corrected.I am not sure on what’s legal and not. Personally I wouldn’t be to worried if, A, it saves my dog or, B, the poor driver that swerves out of the way of dog injuring themselves and possibly a innocent passer by. Training is the answer, As i would think it may be a issue walking dog by that I mean he would not want to cross line for fear of correction
Cheers Daz

johngryphon

I had one once and tried it on myself. After a few 'Buzzes' I got rid of it.
I used to bring the collar out at Xmas gathering when we were all on the snakes hiss.
Everybody had a turn and the biggest wimps that yelled the most were all of the blokes,the girls copped it far better,one adult niece in particular absorbed the 'belt' continuously,her hand was twitching and she just looked and gave a La Gioconda smile.
Training her would be a friggin task ha ha.

David E

I think you would be better off with a Dogtra.

www.dogtra.co.uk
+ 1 on dogtra

I have the hunting one , only used the lowest correction twice and the dog doesn’t go past the gate anymore. I have the one with gps function so I can see him on my phone and get a message when he goes out of a certain area but I don’t think you need that one. The have very nice and small correction collars

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

nun_hunter

I had and used a sportdog one for a rehomed adult Jack Russell that had non existent recall, didn't matter if she was one metre away or 50. I read up on their use properly and followed the instructions exactly.

I had to shock her twice only and then never again and her recall never faltered.

If used properly in the right circumstances they are invaluable and in the long run are better and safer for the dog (if used correctly and responsibly) it's just some people use them as a punishment tool rather than training.