Traveling through Scotland with an Air rifle

Cyres

Hi, this has just dawned on me, I regularly travel up to North Northumberland by car, M5 north bound then across A7. Sometimes I might have an air rifle with me, my journey passes through a bit of it in Scotland so what is the situation if I get stopped in Scotland on route with my air rifle but no Scotish air rifle permit?????

I have a FAC and SGC.

D

LuckyEddie

But will he?

I can travel with my air rifle with my current FAC & SGC without any further paperwork - so is it different for visitors?

Ed

Orion

Covered until renewal of FAC or SGC is needed - according to BASC.

15. I live in England but come up to Scotland to shoot the rabbits on my uncle’s farm with my shotgun, .22 rimfire rifle and my air rifle. Can I still come to Scotland and bring my guns with me?
When the legislation is in place (1st January 2017) you will still be able to come to Scotland with your shotgun, your .22 rimfire rifle and your air rifle up to the date when your shotgun certificate or firearm certificate is renewed. After this date you will need to apply for a visitors permit for your air rifle, but not for your shot gun or .22 rimfire rifle.

https://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/airguns-in-scotland/airgun-licensing-in-scotland-frequently-asked-questions/

mealiejimmy

So, is the following correct:

1. Anyone with an FAC and/or SGC issued in England and Wales before 1st January 2017 can bring air weapons to Scotland and use them in Scotland until their current certificates expire.

2. Anyone with an FAC and/or SGC issued in England and Wales after 1st January 2017 and wishing to bring/use air weapons in Scotland will require a visitors permit for their air weapons

Cheers

Bruce

LuckyEddie

So, is the following correct:

1. Anyone with an FAC and/or SGC issued in England and Wales before 1st January 2017 can bring air weapons to Scotland and use them in Scotland until their current certificates expire.

2. Anyone with an FAC and/or SGC issued in England and Wales after 1st January 2017 and wishing to bring/use air weapons in Scotland will require a visitors permit for their air weapons

Cheers

Bruce
That's the way I understand it.

Ed

mealiejimmy

But the OP is just travelling through, not stopping to shoot rabbits... Does the same still apply?
In practice, given his final destination was back into England, I don't think there is any realistic possibility of his being prosecuted for being in Scotland with an air weapon, but without an AWL.
However, technically, he would be breaking the law

Cheers

Bruce

mealiejimmy

what if the air rifle is on my English FAC . would I still require a visitors permit
If your FAC was issued before 1st January 2017, and your FAC is still valid, then you don't require a visitors permit.
If your FAC was issued after 1st January 2017, then you would need a visitors permit.

Cheers

Bruce

Orion

But the OP is just travelling through, not stopping to shoot rabbits... Does the same still apply?
Possession is possession and I don't believe they've differentiated between possession in use or otherwise.

what if the air rifle is on my English FAC . would I still require a visitors permit
If your FAC was issued before 1st January 2017, and your FAC is still valid, then you don't require a visitors permit.
If your FAC was issued after 1st January 2017, then you would need a visitors permit.
For an FAC air rifle? Isn't it already a S.1 Firearm on the FAC and wouldn't need a visitors permit?

Tartan_Terrier

It seems ridiculous that you can legally take your full bore rifles/shotguns with you because you have an FAC/SGC, but need a separate visitors permit for a sub 12 ft/lbs air rifle.

Heym SR20

It seems ridiculous that you can legally take your full bore rifles/shotguns with you because you have an FAC/SGC, but need a separate visitors permit for a sub 12 ft/lbs air rifle.
Yup. But when did "sense" and "snp" have anything in common. It's purely political.

mealiejimmy

Mollydog,
My apologies, I got it wrong and Orion is correct
If your air rifle is on your FAC (i.e more than 12 ftlbs) then you don't need a visitor permit - because it classed as a firearm and not an air weapon.
If it's not on your FAC (i.e less than 12 ftlbs) then you do need a visitor permit
Daft aint it - but that's what you get with an SNP Government

Cheers

Bruce

flying felix

It does, until you consider the control of trafficking air rifles to Scotland. What is daft is thinking that having to licence air guns will make a difference, except in political sound bites.

Last edited:

Heym SR20

I would be very careful. If you are in possession of an air weapon with any more power than a plastic nerf gun or an air soft plastic pellet firing gun, and you don't have appropriate legal authority to possess it (i.e. A valid airweapons permit, visitors permit or it's temporarily on your FAC / sc until renewal, then you face prosecution for illegal possession of a firearm and that's time eating porridge. Plenty of places in the borders where roads cross and recross the border. You can be rest assured that you will be prosecuted as of course we want dangerous criminals off our streets.

I blame Trainspotting - the bit in the park where Ewan McGregor is shooting a pitbull in the backside - that film and Braveheart are films on which SNP policy is derived.

bogtrotter

Whilst it does seem daft what needs to be remembered, we are two different countries (though still part of the Union) we have very different laws and legal systemn.

Cyres

Guys,

thanks for all the info on this I doubt that I am the only tourist that could be caught out by this. Once whilst travelling late at night I was stopped on route to my parents but on M5 in Cumbria, when asked for ID replied FAC any good and after quick glance was allowed to proceeded unhindered.

Just feel that say if my elderly father took his/my air rifle into a gunsmith in Scotland then he would be breaking the law (they live in England but v close to the border)

I wouldn't want my beloved BSA mercury siezed.

I think I might drop SACS a line to get some input from them.

D