Traveling to Ireland. Question about forms.

liongeorge

I am hoping to get to Ireland for the Sika rut in early October on a friends land.
I Have just downloaded the forms which seem quite simple except for one thing... The one that goes to the guarda /police (Non resident firearm certificate) requires that I give a time and place of departure and arrival. I don't know this yet as I am told that the certificate can take weeks to turn up (about how long does it usualy take?) . Why doesn't it cover a broader period of time and will I have to do it again if I wish to travel over later in the year or the beginning of next. Shall I just put in a date when I am hoping to travel . When the certificate arrives is it that specific.
The other form for the wildlife dept seem to cover you for the season which seems more sensible.

Any help much appreciated George

First download the form for your hunting licenses fill in the bits you can send it to your friend he then fills the rest of it in, also post your European firearms license as well your friend then posts your hunting License off takes about 4 weeks when it comes back then he takes that and your EPFA to the police and gets you a Irish firearms license cost is €40 which can take from 1 to 4 weeks you don't need to do much but your friend does

Enter the earliest date you are likely to travel. This section is just to prioritise dealing with applications (earliest dates dealt with first). You can travel as often as you like and the licence will be valid until 31st July 2014.

We are always back ad forth to Ireland never seem to be a bother, the hunting permits can be slow if its your first time but after that they will just keep sending out a renewal. Are you shooting private or forestry land because the HCAP is now a must for forestry land, it a bit of a joke as its just a poor quality version of DSC1.

Are you shooting private or forestry land because the HCAP is now a must for forestry land, it a bit of a joke as its just a poor quality version of DSC1.[/QUOTE] It is. Its designed to cover coillte who make quite a bit of money from lease's .

Glendine.

Copy of EFPA is acceptable for deer hunting licence application. I've passed on a number of overseas appplications. Likewise for Garda and firearms cert, but there are a few knowitalls who haven't read the guidelines so get your friend to ask informally if copy is okay.
Deer hunting licences are turned round quicker on land that is already known to Widlife Service.
Don't fret about travel dates, just make a reasonable guess. As Dama says firearm cert is valid for 12 months from date of issue and deer hunting licence is valid until end of following July.

Coillte give short term permits to DSC 1 holders - 2 x 2 weeks per year I think

Potential hassle over carriage of ammo on fast boats from Holyhead.

Expect rain!!!

Good hunting

Ion

Thanks Guys, sorry have been on holiday. The land is privately owned , and Ion will be on the slow boat from Fishguard which I think is Stenna so I hope they're OK with ammo (will get in touch and find out). The land should be known to the wildlife service as the owner shoots there .Have got my Euro Firearms Pass.
Seems like once I've done the forms most of the work is down to my host, lets hope he can be bothered to pull his finger out, things seem to move slower in Ireland!

​Cheers George

George,
Lets hope your host doesn't read the last part of your last post or your in for a long wait!:rofl: The NPWS who issue the licence are an extremely efficient service. As far as I know ammunition is not allowed on the ferry there a few gun shops in Wicklow,Wexford and Dublin so you could have some pre-ordered and pick them up when you get there.
( There is a gunshop five min drive away form Dun laoghaire port) Have a nice trip and enjoy the slow pace over here!

Glendine.

Stena and P+O have a customer friendly approach to carriage of firearms and ammunition on NI / Sctland services, so I hope the same goes for Irish Sea.I haven't gone Irish Sea crossing since Norse Line night boat to Liverpool service ended. Book ticket and then ring up to declare firearm giving booking number. The biggest advantage is you are invariably put near the unloading ramp for easy observation (them), quick exit (you). Or if you have a dog with you there is usually a sympathetic response to be allowed off early for the dog's comfort. Be prepared to demonstrate secure storage of firearm / ammo if required. I make 2 trips per year via Northern Ireland - Scotland and have met with good humour and courtesy every time.

I still think that ammunition is only prohibited on High Speed ferries. In a curious way it would seem judging from some of the posts on where to buy ammo in UK that some RFD's over here carry better choices in certain calibres because there is no:stir: homeloading over here !

Ion

George,
Lets hope your host doesn't read the last part of your last post or your in for a long wait!:rofl: The NPWS who issue the licence are an extremely efficient service. As far as I know ammunition is not allowed on the ferry there a few gun shops in Wicklow,Wexford and Dublin so you could have some pre-ordered and pick them up when you get there.
( There is a gunshop five min drive away form Dun laoghaire port) Have a nice trip and enjoy the slow pace over here!

Glendine.

He wouldn't mind me saying it but your right if he did find out he would go into super slow mode just to prove a point:lol:. I have e mailed the ferry people about gun and ammo so we shall see how it goes, if it's no go for ammo I'll pre order some for local although I'm 243 so I would have hoped there was a selection.

George,

The 243 round is very popular in the east of Ireland so you should have not trouble in getting the usual brands.
If you cannot get the ammo accross try Cresent sports in Monkstown or John Lambert in Wexford ( He also guides for the famous John Sika Fenton) as you say over there "hes a Top bloke".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289118

Please see attached link it has every gunshop in Eire.

Have a great trip and let us know how its going. Week 40 - 42 a good time to be coming over here
as the Rut is!! you see for yourself.

Regards,
Glendine.

Progress report.....sent everything I thought I needed to the Wildlife Dept for my licence to shoot deer.
Got a very swift response saying A) I need over 100acres of land (I had 50 odd and B) to supply a copy of my EFP . They didn't state they needed either of these on the form.
Luckily I rang my Irish mate and he he said no worries his missus has a further 70 acres 1/2 mile down the road, The EFP is no prob , I have one but hadn't put it in as they did not ask for it. They state they require it for the firearm certificate bit that the Guarda do.
A little more research and I have found out that the local wildlife officer is then asked if there are deer there and whether it is ok to take them before a Licence to shoot deer is issued, also if there are already others with permission on there they may not issue it.
My pal knows the local officer so hopefully it should go through.
So fingers crossed the Licences to shoot deer will come through , I don't know how long it will take. Then I have to get the Guarda bit done. It's all a bit of a ball ache but I know it will be worth it.

ATB George

Besides my Irish cobbers name/address/permissions I had to supply a referee from Australia testifying that I am of good character and also the names of people with farming/shooting property that allow me to shoot on...I do live on and manage an Angus beef property where part of my natural duties are shooting vermin anyway...apparently that didn't count at all hence the neighbours letters sent as well. I reckon I could rack up 1/2 a million acres in permissions!
Daily wheels attached with 7mm RM waiting to bark.

sevenute_zpsc5fdd701.jpg

Blimey John sounds like they really didn't want to let you in:D Love the wheels, don't recon it would be so good in west of Ireland, think it might need something to keep the rain out.

Progress report 2: Have got my License to hunt deer through:D. Took just over a week once it was resubmitted now it has been sent back to my pal who I have to say has been brilliant (I take all previous comments back). He'll take it and the other form etc to the garda for the visitors fac so there's a ggod chance I'll make the rut .

Can anyone tell me the nearest game dealer to Bantry? and are there any peculiar laws relating to deer stalking and carcass handling in Ireland I ought to know about or is it the same as here .

ATB George

Back