Trichinella testing for Wild boar

Deanot2000

Happy Bank Holiday gents. I've spent a week now on and off searching the www for UK trichinella testing protocol for WB. I've managed to download 3 individual government agencies leaflets on the matter (FSA, AHDB and one I cant remember....) none if which provides clarity... as per usual. Many ask for things like your 'Unique Identification Number', others saying the person taking the sample has to be 'trained' but no explanation of what qual and who provides the training.... maddening.

Is anyone actually sending samples from harvested WB to a lab for testing? If so can you PM me with the details as I'm banging my head against a wall here!

Yours considering day drinking heavily...

Deano

Deanot2000

Thanks 308rws. I got that email last week from Paul Harris who's details popped up in a trichinella testing pamphlet, and have emailed them twice with no response. Is this normal in your experience?

Deano

Alantoo

I'll PM you a current POC.
Is the current one restricted information now or can you share it?

I eventually received a testing pouch kit after about 6 months from application... but that was some years ago, poachers had all the boar on my permission so haven't shot one since, and thus haven't used the kit.

The reason I was given for the delay back then was a change of laboratory doing the testing.

The envelope I have is addressed to Bury St Edmunds is that still valid?

Alan
IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0511.JPG

308rws

Alan
The APHA address and submission Form have changed. For the up to date form etc. contact: NRL.Parasitology@apha.gov.uk who in turn will provide the appropriate POC at the Parasitology, Science & Laboratory Services Department (SLSD) - nothing secret.

Night òwl

Is the current one restricted information now or can you share it?

I eventually received a testing pouch kit after about 6 months from application... but that was some years ago, poachers had all the boar on my permission so haven't shot one since, and thus haven't used the kit.

The reason I was given for the delay back then was a change of laboratory doing the testing.

The envelope I have is addressed to Bury St Edmunds is that still valid?

Alan
View attachment 254761 View attachment 254763
No , the test centre has moved and it's a different form now

Sharpie

Why are the answers to this thread shrouded in such secrecy?
There is no such secrecy.

Some starters for ten And why it is mandatory for all pig farmers:

Trichinella

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../file/904508/nrl-trichinella-echinococcus.pdf

Testing for trichinella in pigs

Whereas feral wild boar, supplied directly to consumers or local retailers SHOULD also be tested (I guess that's due to our "hunters' exemption". BTW, wild boar, or feral pigs, or a bit of both, or however you describe them, are also technically venison.

It's the right thing to do.

You'll find the current details of how to do this in http://apha.defra.gov.uk/documents/...dance-trichinella-testing-feral-wild-boar.pdf Study it.

1651523187375.png

'''
1651523336472.png

Last edited:

Swedish

Thank you @Sharpie for going to the trouble of that informative post. I am aware of Trichinella and the need to test for it but many previous responses were all; 'you have PM' implying that there might be some information that wasn't in the public domain, hence my question.

Bavarianbrit

Here in Sunny Germany we cut off some muscle flesh from the correct area and drop it off at the local vets where they do the test as part of their normal service, it has to be paid for though, sometimes this is reimbursed by the local government.

LuckyEddie

The group of shooters, I‘m part of in south Lanarkshire, shoot foxes which are then collected by SASA (Sience and Advice for Scottish Agriculture - for those down South)
These are then tested for Trichinella as regularly as we can supply the foxes.

JTM12

There is no such secrecy.

Some starters for ten And why it is mandatory for all pig farmers:

Trichinella

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../file/904508/nrl-trichinella-echinococcus.pdf

Testing for trichinella in pigs

Whereas feral wild boar, supplied directly to consumers or local retailers SHOULD also be tested (I guess that's due to our "hunters' exemption". BTW, wild boar, or feral pigs, or a bit of both, or however you describe them, are also technically venison.

It's the right thing to do.

You'll find the current details of how to do this in http://apha.defra.gov.uk/documents/...dance-trichinella-testing-feral-wild-boar.pdf Study it.

View attachment 254790

'''
View attachment 254791
Hi @Sharpie

I worked with a contact at Apha to design this guide and make it more clear (I'm a designer and in no way a boar expert, keen stalker though) as when I applied for a testing kit the accompanying guide was pretty unclear to me. If you or any others on this thread have any feedback for this current guide please do let me know. Apha are very keen to obtain samples and to promote this service to all hunters.

Happy hunting

Alantoo

I worked with a contact at Apha to design this guide and make it more clear (I'm a designer and in no way a boar expert, keen stalker though) as when I applied for a testing kit the accompanying guide was pretty unclear to me.
Unclear to me too ten years ago, so well done, much improved!

However, you did ask....

If you or any others on this thread have any feedback for this current guide please do let me know.
The liver looks on the wrong side of the diaphragm in the illustration?

Alan

image.png

Last edited:

Foxyboy43

Fascinating thread chaps - from the relatively safe shores of NI where the only “wild bores” are politicians. No boar over here (allegedly) but I found the attached clip interesting - testing sounds like a very good idea!
🦊🦊

Kimura84

How big are the risks in the absence of testing when meat is cooked well, i.e hunting overseas?

The recommended safe cooking temperatures look pretty average: