Trip to Germany

Hi All
Andy and I have just returned from a trip with friends in Germany and thought I would write an account of our trip.
We flew into Dusseldorf where my friend Michael collected us; we were to meet up with our other German friend Hieni who was collecting two other lads flying in later on from Finland Aki and Sakari, Aki I already knew as he hunted with me for Roe and Muntjac earlier this year.
We all finally met up and made our way to the B&B.
Next morning we headed off to see a nice lady and collect our German hunting licences and then on to the shooting cinema for a bit of practice. This is the second time I have done this and its great fun, I was happy as I was using Michaels Blaser R93 in 9.3x62. Plenty of ammo and banter later we were on the move again.

DSC01190.jpg

We now had a five hour drive ahead of us to our first hunting area a national park on the Czech border a fantastic place worth the trip just for the scenery and the welcome.
We eat at a local hotel and then made our way to our hunting lodge in the middle of the forest which at first we all thought was charming until after dark with the log burner flat out when we discovered many unwanted visitors (mostly around my bed great!!!) The lodge had a slight problem with fleas which didn’t add to a very relaxed night sleep but caused lots of p*ss taking.

DSC01193.jpg

Saxonynatpark1.jpg

Next morning we went for breakfast and then met up with the ranger who showed us around and showed us various high seats which we could take our choice from. We then moved our stuff to a flea free hotel in the park for showers and debugging where they made us very welcome even putting English and Finnish flags up on the front of the hotel.

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01208.jpg

In the evening we all set off to our high seats but unfortunately we were unsuccessful a few saw Roe but the Reds and Mouflon were a know show. We headed back to the hotel where we met up with a load of other hunters off another forum called Yes we hunt and eat and drank way too much again and made some new friends.

Next morning we were out again, (the ones who made it as some had Schnapps poisoning) but again the woods were very quiet or we were too noisy on the crunchy beech leaf covered ground and again only roe were seen but a fantastic experience all the same to hunt this beautiful area.
We had a leisurely breakfast and then packed the cars for the 5 hour drive back to our B&B as we were to be on a driven hunt in that area on the Saturday morning.

After breakfast on Saturday morning we headed off to hunt an estate owned by an Earl who is a friend of Michaels who had kindly invited us all to hunt when he heard we were visiting.
We arrived at his fantastic home to be greeted by his equally fantastic family, more kind and generous hosts than you could ever wish to meet.
After the instructions for the day and the horn playing with all the dogs joining in and howling we headed off to our stands for the 4-5 hour hunt.

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

Michael and I sat together in a small open tower for the hunt and as soon as the beaters started there was a lot of animals on the move we heard boar come so close to our clearing several time but always passing just out of sight but from all the shots going off all around us they were not making it passed everyone.
At the end of the drive we had a bag of 17 boar, 9 Roe and 4 foxes. Our Finnish friends being in the thick of it and taking two Roe and two boar unfortunately Andy and I had no luck but still a fantastic experience. We found out later the Earl had put us in the “Hot Seats” and was very disappointed we did not get a shot but that’s hunting, no guarantees.

DSC01234.jpg

All the game was taken back our hosts home and displayed in the traditional way with more horn playing ( and howling from the dogs)

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

We were then invited into our hosts fantastic home for tea and cake the walls were covered in trophy’s I took one photo off the hall way but didn’t want to be rude wandering around there home taking photos which was a shame as was an incredible place.

DSC01247.jpg
DSC01247.jpg

We all changed for dinner and sat in a huge room where we were fed and watered to the point of bursting and treated like old friends by our host’s family.
The whole day was a fantastic experience made very special by the warmth of our hosts one I shall never forget and I even got an invite back next year.

We headed back to our B&B and said our goodbyes to Heini and the lads from Finland with promises made to visit each other for a future hunt.
They were heading off to the airport early in the morning then Heini was heading home for a meeting.
Andy and I were out hunting with Michael up at 5.30am , we placed Andy in a big tower and headed off to our own.
We climbed into our tower after scanning all the fields as it got a bit lighter Michael spotted a group of young boar about 120 yards in front after a wait for one to turn broadside the 9.3x62 barked and the boar was on its side with a very happy and relieved Michael bouncing around the tower shouting Yes Yes.
That was the end of our trip unfortunately Andy was not as lucky as I but he still has the whole experience and the friends which is much more precious. We also left with two invites for future driven hunts and already booked up next September for a more intense hunt on Reds and Mouflon and boar in Heini’s and Michaels own areas.
Finally big thanks to Michael for organising it all and his lovely family for taking us into their home and making us so welcome.

Wayne

DSC01259.jpg

DSC01251.jpg

cracking account mate. Sounds a great trip.

looks like you will be busy with all the lads coming over.

You will have to fill us in in person if you can make the next get together????

catch up soon

Jon

Wayne, I am not surprised that you and Andy (and the others) were so well looked after, they are only returning your splendid hospitality. I think your Karmic balance is well in credit!

Obviously a fantastic experience, a nice read!

Simon

I enjoyed reading your write up . The area looks stunning .I dont blame you going back for more of that .

Great write-up.....sounds like a belter of a trip! I like seeing all the photos of the area, etc, gives a good insight into the 'whole experience'.

More of the same when you do your next trip please!!

ATB,

Merlin

Great write-up.....sounds like a belter of a trip! I like seeing all the photos of the area, etc, gives a good insight into the 'whole experience'.

More of the same when you do your next trip please!!

ATB,

Merlin

Hi Merlin
Will do Sweden next in January can't wait

Wayne

I can only reiterate everything that Wayne has said. We hunted in areas that were just stunning and had a really great time with our hosts Michael and Heini and our Finnish friends Aki and Sakari. As Wayne said we are already booked for next autumn and possibly more if Michael gets his way. We hunted the Netherlands last winter and thought their hospitality couldn’t be equalled but Michael and Heini certainly did. The traditional driven hunt was an incredible experience with me seeing wild boar, roe and fox. However, it was the friendship shown by the host family and the other hunt participants that I will remember most. We were greeted by the Earl and his wife, their children and their parents like we were long lost friends. Throughout the day we were attended to and then invited to eat and drink in the castle with the rest of the hunting party. We witnessed several “interesting” traditions in the evening that usually culminated in singing and drinking. I was fortunate to be dragged away just before the point of no return. Wayne recognised my arm waving and sudden ability to communicate in German and Polish as a good time to leave. It has to be said that Wayne would probably have been encouraging me if he hadn’t had a skinful the previous evening. Personally, I thought that Wayne’s bag of 21 assorted game was a very good result although the 20 fleas that were dispatched with the aid of the lamp one evening did boost the bag.
Seriously though, many thanks again Michael for everything and look forward to seeing you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy
I wasn't going to mention your low tolerance to alcohol :D:D is it leagal to take fleas under the lamp in Germany??????

I particulary liked the tradition which involved a virgin wildboar hunter a frying pan and some mustard:eek::eek::eek:

Ah well done mate, you finally got to see how pigs should be hunted.
You'll be back.
see you soon John

We will mate as Andy said if Michael has his way most weekends :doh: The Earl invited us back next year, Michael wants us to hunt Reds and Mouflon in September and back again for three days of driven hunting in November and last night emailed me to see if I wanted to go over and hunt new years eve :eek::eek: Unfortuneatley I have to work sometimes :lol::lol: but its vey nice to be invited.

I'm making sure he's back over here in February and May how I can repay some of the kindness before we return.

You've just reminded me I must book the B&B for your visit.:oops:

See you next week

Wayne

Back