Truck guns & short barrels

Malxwal

If a lad was pondering buying/building a truck friendly rifle with a short barrel, suitable up to roe in Scotland, what calibers have folks found to work well with short (16"-18" for example) barrels ?

Markfox

Would an 18 inch .223 fit the bill ? Good truck gun size , good for foxes , good for roe and cheap to buy and feed

everyone's a winner :)

or or go for a 16 inch .308 :)

howa243

Brno combination 12 over .222. Short, cheap, accurate and you wont mind it bouncing around in the back of your vehicle. I do have one so speak from experience.

Claret_Dabbler

If a lad was pondering buying/building a truck friendly rifle with a short barrel, suitable up to roe in Scotland, what calibers have folks found to work well with short (16"-18" for example) barrels ?
You can choose between a small case and a small calibre or a larger case and a larger calibre.

A 222 or 223 chopped to 18" will do very well, particularly if hand loaded with fairly fast powder.

Alternatively, both the 7/08 and the 308 really lend themselves to a haircut with minimal performance loss.

Rounds like the 243 and 270 give up a fair bit of performance (relatively) if you chop them much below 22".

Malxwal

Cheers folks. Gave up my .223 slot a while back by neglecting to put in for a replacement, but might ask for it back at upcoming renewal.
Have a 20" .308 at the moment, but something even shorter would be very handy.

karamoja

Jim, I love the martini (I have a couple), but that is the most Mad Max piece of equipment I have seen in years! Bravo! Is it on ticket for rabbits?
Karamoja

Greener Jim

I have an 'individual' style with rifles. Currently doing a 308 in a similar style. Never thought of it as mad max but I like that comparison!

Yeah on ticket for fox and AOLQ.

I should mention the Thompson/Centre Encore I also have. .243 14.5" do not use without a moderator!!!

There was a recent advert for a Thompson/centre contender recently in the classifieds.

Both actions are single shot and take 6" off the OAL of most bolt action rifles.