Trump v Clinton Debate - Anyone watch it?

FrenchieBoy

I've just watched the entire debate on youtube and in my opinion Donald Trump was all about Donald Trump while Hilary Clinton was much more about the people and the country and was much more professional and polished.
In that respect I believe that Hilary Clinton easily won the "war of words"!
Has anyone else watched it and if so do you want to offer any views or opinions?

tikka_madras

Clinton was always going to win the actual debate on any objective measure unless she keeled over at the podium. Quite a lot of informed speculation beforehand seemed to suggest that if Trump walked away without having had his head shoved up his eirse, by himself or by Hillary, he'd be doing well. Based on that incredibly low bar I think he probably did OK.

Sauer90

Was waiting for Killary the hag of Benghazi to keel over, unfortunately my wish was not granted. The moderator showed who pulled his strings.

skywull

why would I watch two greedy self centred eijits squabble lie and slag eachother off, they have no care for American ppl nore any other ppl for that matter, but I guess that's no different from our liein lot here or anywhere else :)

8x57

Distinguished Member
why would I watch two greedy self centred eijits squabble lie and slag eachother off, they have no care for American ppl nore any other ppl for that matter, but I guess that's no different from our liein lot here or anywhere else :)
Not exactly the words that I would use but none the less my sentiments exactly. I feel very sorry for the USA.

Taff

Not being a supporter of either, but having a fair grasp of how the mid west thinks, I don,t believe trump did that bad on certain subjects, like it or not, the U.S. And UK dealings in the Middle East has created the problems we have today, he is correct we left a massive vacuum in Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan and Syria, by encouraging theses so called freedom fighters, this does not work in a tribal country.
The average American will also agree that the USA should not be the policeman of the world while NATO and the UN sit on there arses doing nothing but debating human rights while the Middle East burns, and to rub salt into the wounds not payin there due,s to NATO.
The non nuclear deal with Iran is another fiasco, 40billion dollars not to produce a weapon, a joke, for that they can buy one off Russia and no one would know, the Iranians know to launch a first strike weapon at Isreal would mean a retaliatory response of total destruction.

Southern

This is quite the contrast. Trump is not a politician, but an executive who is used to speaking directly to people who understand a lot from a few words. He has to, because he has managed as many as 100 projects at a time, with that many project managers.

Hillary is a manufactured candidate, a robot, who only speaks in practiced phrases which have been tested. Her goal was to avoid talking about her miserable record and many scandals, and to keep Trump off the issues, by turning every question into an accusation about him, some of them pretty wild. That is how she and her husband have managed every debate against every opponent. Every campaign is about throwing out tons of smears, many of them lies, many of them the exact same lies, against every opponent. The media was already prepped by her team, as you can see by how fast they had Miss Venezeula on every show the next day, and how they "fact checked" everything Trump said. So it was all coordinated.

From the average Joe's viewpoint, here is a guy who started with $1 million in borrowed money, paid it back, borrowed $2 million, etc, until he is now worth $10 billion. The media has all his tax returns from 1972 - 2013, because he has to provide them to the Nevada and New Jersey gaming commissions. He owns $8 billion in real estate free and clear, and owes $624 million on $3.9 billion of assets. His 2015 income was $694 million, much of which will be offset by depreciation from his properties.

By contrast, Hillary has never had a real job in her life, but she and her husband have been paid $260 million by foreign governments and corporations, for speeches and as "consultants" on how to do foreign deals.

Last edited:

JabaliHunter

It is quite telling that the Clinton campaign has been using psychologists to prepare Hilary with 'trigger points' to get a negative raction from Trump in the debates. Clearly, she doesn't think she can win on policy.

I thought it was very telling in the debate that Trump's answers on jobs, trade, economy, etc. were all about practical things that could have an immediate effect. Clinton only spoke about ideals and 'blue sky' goals for the new tech and clean energy economy and jobs of the future, things that with no disrespect intended, will not help the average American now or in the future as they are simply unlikely to be qualified or able to get qualified to benefit from them.

There is a lot to be said for 'bringing foreign policy home' but I'm still waiting for either candidate to say that they will bomb the f**k out of Assad and stop the war crimes in Aleppo.

Kalahari

I have serious problems with Trump. He inherited millions and according to Forbes he would be richer if he had just invested it in a tracker fund. He has filed for buncruptcy four times. I don't think the choice is a great one for you guys but Trumps comments look completely unhinged to me. Sorry if that ruffles feathers and of course I don't have a vote.

David.

JabaliHunter

I have serious problems with Trump. He inherited millions and according to Forbes he would be richer if he had just invested it in a tracker fund. He has filed for buncruptcy four times. I don't think the choice is a great one for you guys but Trumps comments look completely unhinged to me. Sorry if that ruffles feathers and of course I don't have a vote.

David.
I'm not sure that the inheritance thing is true; don't know about the bankruptcies but this is true for many successful entrepreneurs; and investing in a tracker fund would not have had anything like the same knock-on effect on employment or tax revenues. I have plenty of problems with Trump, but those aren't any of them! I can see his appeal for many though. I don't have a vote either...

This is quite the contrast. Trump is not a politician, but an executive who is used to speaking directly to people who understand a lot from a few words. He has to, because he has managed as many as 100 projects at a time, with that many project managers.

Hillary is a manufactured candidate, a robot, who only speaks in practiced phrases which have been tested. Her goal was to avoid talking about her miserable record and many scandals, and to keep Trump off the issues, by turning every question into an accusation about him, some of them pretty wild. That is how she and her husband have managed every debate against every opponent. Every campaign is about throwing out tons of smears, many of them lies, many of them the exact same lies, against every opponent. The media was already prepped by her team, as you can see by how fast they had Miss Venezeula on every show the next day, and how they "fact checked" everything Trump said. So it was all coordinated.

From the average Joe's viewpoint, here is a guy who started with $1 million in borrowed money, paid it back, borrowed $2 million, etc, until he is now worth $10 billion. The media has all his tax returns from 1972 - 2013, because he has to provide them to the Nevada and New Jersey gaming commissions. He owns $8 billion in real estate free and clear, and owes $624 million on $3.9 billion of assets. His 2015 income was $694 million, much of which will be offset by depreciation from his properties.

By contrast, Hillary has never had a real job in her life, but she and her husband have been paid $260 million by foreign governments and corporations, for speeches and as "consultants" on how to do foreign deals.
Your observations - especially the first two paragraphs - have really struck a cord with me......

I know Trump is not an ideal candidate - far from it - but there is a desire to overthrow the elitist class that have sold us a corporate globalised system of control that has marched over culture, boarders and national identity in its determination to maximise profit for a very few.

It is perhaps more important to put a spanner in the spokes of their (corporate globalists) wheel than it is damaging to elect a bit of a buffoon

Clinton is equally incompetent but infinitely more dangerous - not as an individual, but as the representative of the continuity of a disastrous global policy

Last edited:

Kalahari

Seems to me Trump is a corporate globalist. He has a huge amount of money (according to him) and wants to spread his businesses over the globe.

David.

Rasputin

All you need to know about Clinton and her "liberal" ideas on three paragraphs

1) So desired to be president so much she didn't care her husband fiddled whoever he wanted.
2) Clinton the champion of the downtrodden and White Knight saviour of USA charged Wall Street millions for the priveledge of her company even after public ally stating they were satans love children.
3) Emails/Benghazi/Coulsnt even win the nomination last time around in her own party....

Trump MPs has a lot of bad press that's being aired publicly but Clintons is just being swept away. This notion that he's lost money is utterly fabricated and without merit. Same as people saying about bankruptcy which is a very important tool to he Uber wealth both individuals and corporates.

Hes not ideal but I don't see him being a total buffoon and sinking so much of his own money into this in order to be viewed as a failure. That's not his style. Plus let's be frank he will
be surrounded by advisors and aids so even if he was a total basket case he would be out on his ear very quickly.

I have £50 on trump per % point he wins to beat Hilary.

Coddy

American politics are ruled by 3 points.

1. Guns. Get more guns or have less guns.
2. God. Who speaks most about him.
3. Abortion. For it or against it.

Thats it.

tikka_madras

Your observations - especially the first two paragraphs - have really struck a cord with me......

I know Trump is not an ideal candidate - far from it - but there is a desire to overthrow the elitist class that have sold us a corporate globalised system of control that has marched over culture, boarders and national identity in its determination to maximise profit for a very few.

It is perhaps more important to put a spanner in the spokes of their (corporate globalists) wheel than it is damaging to elect a bit of a buffoon

Clinton is equally incompetent but infinitely more dangerous - not as an individual, but as the representative of the continuity of a disastrous global policy
There's been a fair bit of academic interest in the idea that the dominant economic liberal policies of the 1980s and the now dominant politically correct "identity politics" we've increasingly had since the 1960s are both causing quite a lot of kickback. Some academics think we're entering a post-liberal age on both economic and social counts. I think there's a lot of merit in that.