Turnarounds

Brimfire

53 days for a variation.... working days! so read that as over 2 months. Certain constabularies can process an initial grant in less time.

Whitebeard

My shooting partner renewed with west mercia in march this year and it took all of 2 1/2 months, his renewed FAC arrived one week before expiry.

Ian.

vizslamad

My shooting partner renewed with west mercia in march this year and it took all of 2 1/2 months, his renewed FAC arrived one week before expiry.

Ian.
Co Terminus ran out July 28 renewal application sent early 19th April and still no certificate but they did send out a section 7 without any request from myself. A friend sent off his shotgun renewal in Feb and he has still not received it although again he was sent a section 7 without his request. Another friend has just received his after it ran out in May. No section 7 issued in this case.
Your shooting partner called lucky by any chance?

Alycidon

Friend of mine had to wait in excess of six months for a variation with Northants earlier this year. But his renewal recently did come through just on time. But speaking to the FEO it seems Northants are at around six months at present for renewals. Just put mine in, it expires Jan 17 so fingers crossed.

A

Shootist

A friend of mine (I do have some) submitted his renewal in plenty of time but his force were late in responding. He had to pursue them to issue a S.7 permit and is now in fact in his second S.7 permit. These permits do not allow him to posses ammunition and when he asked why he was told that it was not their policy to allow ammunition on permits. I had never seen one of these permits until he showed his to me. It is titled something to the effect Permit for firearms and ammunition in big letters at the top and has a section at the rear for ammunition entries. They are clearly allowed to allocate ammunition quotas. A shocking disgrace IMO.

Patterdale Terrier

A friend of mine (I do have some) submitted his renewal in plenty of time but his force were late in responding. He had to pursue them to issue a S.7 permit and is now in fact in his second S.7 permit. These permits do not allow him to posses ammunition and when he asked why he was told that it was not their policy to allow ammunition on permits. I had never seen one of these permits until he showed his to me. It is titled something to the effect Permit for firearms and ammunition in big letters at the top and has a section at the rear for ammunition entries. They are clearly allowed to allocate ammunition quotas. A shocking disgrace IMO.
They will be willing to add non-expanding ammunition, but the Section 7 Temporary Permit does not allow expanding ammunition.

Yorky

I'm lucky, North Yorkshire Police have a drop in facility - I got a variation done within the hour recently. A new SGC application took 10 days, although my FAC took 3 months all in.

roseybut1

This Firearms Post code lottery makes my blood boil. My initial co-terminus application took six weeks. It would have been four weeks but there was a two week period when the FEO was available but I wasn't and vice versa. My first varition (like for like) took 5 days. I did drop into the licensing dept in person (Carmarthen. Dyfed-Powys) my second variation took 2 months (I posted that one and it was over the christmas holiday period) so all in all I can't complain. But when other licensing authorities take 4, 6and 9 months there's no excuses. Fees we pay have (rightly) increased but the service we pay for has declined. We must start writing to our police commisioners (the ones we vote for) and demand a better service. The poor service we now recieve is purely down to budget/staff cuts in licensing depts. Ladies and gentlemen, if we continue to tollerate the current state of affairs the best we can hope for is things continuing as they are. A more likely scenario is things will get worse because we continue to just tollerate it. I will be shortly putting a variation in. If the time scale is unreasonable I will be writing to my elected police commisioner expressing my sisatifaction at the service his police force is providing.
Phew! Rant over all i want is a level playing field for all and realistic adminstrative time scales.